PDA

View Full Version : Petition to stop BSL (Breed-Specific Legislation) in Texas

RileyE104
01-10-2011, 04:25 PM
First of all, I am posting this for a friend of mine.

Specifically, (as I understand) these laws are generally used to target pitbulls.

Secondly, what are BSL laws? http://stopbsl.com/bsloverview/

Breed-specific restrictions may require an owner of a targeted breed do any of the following or more, depending on how the law is written:

* Muzzle the dog in public
* Spay or neuter the dog
* Contain the dog in a kennel with specific requirements (6′ chain link walls, lid, concrete floors, etc.)
* Keep the dog on a leash of specific length or material
* Purchase liability insurance of a certain amount
* Place “vicious dog” signs on the outside of the residence where the dog lives
* Make the dog wear a “vicious dog” tag or other identifying marker

Breed-specific legislation applies only to dogs of a certain appearance, not to any and all dogs. It does not take into account how the owner has raised, trained, or managed the dog. It does not take into account the dog’s actual behavior.

Please take the time to go to this site and sign the petition, which will be sent to the Governor and the Texas Legislature: http://www.petitiononline.com/texasbsl/petition.html

THE PETITION:

We need to prevent any State Legislative to declare a specific breed or mixed breeds as a “Vicious” or “Potentially Dangerous animal.” Our State or any State should inherently recognize that dogs are personal property. Banning BSL to pass in Texas allows a Bill for Federal Legislation to enact which protects ownership of property rights and the legal use of rights in domestic animals. It ensures NO City or State shall prohibit ownership of Pits nor shall it restrict the ownership of any specific dog breeds. We must stop the senseless banning of these amazing, beautiful, intelligent dogs, and ban the ignorant, cold-hearted, abusive owners who ruin this breed and/or any breed. We must put an end to such unjust policies by fighting breed specific legislation and promoting a positive outlook and an accurate image of Pit Bulls. You only hear, read and see what the media/press portrays of these dogs. It should not solely be blamed on the breed itself but on the dog owners up bringing of this breed(s). Breed-specific laws will not protect our communities. An owner intent on using s/he’s dogs for malicious purposes will simply switch to another type of breed and continue to jeopardize public safety. This list of regulated breeds or types could grow every year without ever addressing responsible dog ownership. In this case deeds, not breeds, should be addressed. Breed-specific laws are extremely unfair and unjust to responsible owners of these so-called “Vicious” animals. Breed-specific laws can cause an increase in costs for communities. Shelter costs for the community could rise as citizens abandon targeted breeds, and the adoptable dogs of the targeted breeds would be euthanized at a shelter. In some instances, breed-specific laws have been overturned on constitutional grounds; due to difficulties and it being impossible to determine of what a dog would become. Keep in mind the breed-specific laws may be deemed unconstitutionally vague. This law can potentially also be found to involve the taking of property without due process. Labeling of the Pit Bull breed as “Vicious” and “dangerous” dogs are implemented by narrow-minded and uneducated individuals of this breed(s). Pit Bulls are not all Vicious and were not genetically predisposed to being Vicious. If our State Legislative validates BSL- Breed Specific Law, they are clearly stating that Pits are no longer allowed to be kept as family members in our homes. Please Help Prevent this from occurring to responsible and loyal Pit Bull owners in the State of Texas.

oyarde
01-10-2011, 04:50 PM
I am not sure how this would be needed in Texas as everyone is responsible for animals as it is ?

Kelly.
01-10-2011, 04:55 PM
BSL is in effect here in CO :(
there are certain areas/cities where you can not own a 'bully breed', meant mainly to stop pit bull ownership.

pretty said because 99% of the time, the owner is to blame, not the dog.

hopefully you can defeat this before it makes its way to texas.

punish the deed, not the breed!

edit:
temperament test results :
http://www.atts.org/stats1.html
AMERICAN PIT BULL TERRIER 772 664 108 86.0%
COLLIE 846 674 172 79.7%
GOLDEN RETRIEVER 746 631 115 84.6%

i tired to find breeds with close tot he same number tested. funny to see which breeds have a lower score that "vicious" pit bulls.

RileyE104
01-10-2011, 05:05 PM
I am not sure how this would be needed in Texas as everyone is responsible for animals as it is ?

From what I can tell, as the poster above me stated, it's mainly a scheme that's meant to deter people from owning pitbulls.

If it were up to the people who make these laws, they would cleanse the entire country of pitbulls by way of extermination. And for what? All because of bad owners.

forsmant
01-10-2011, 05:13 PM
Deterring idiots from owning pit bulls is good policy.

pcosmar
01-10-2011, 05:21 PM
Deterring idiots from owning pit bulls is good policy.

Why?
Any breed of dog can be dangerous. or be made so. I have known several (dozen or more) Pits. They are great dogs.

I had this problem in Florida with Home insurance because I owned a Rott. A big Rott. A very gentile 108 lb. lap dog.
They called her a vicious animal, but there was not a vicious hair on her hide. from pup to grave.

and Cassiopeia is about to turn 2.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3544/3326991159_5205474694_z.jpg

pcosmar
01-10-2011, 05:27 PM
From what I can tell, as the poster above me stated, it's mainly a scheme that's meant to deter people from owning pitbulls.

If it were up to the people who make these laws, they would cleanse the entire country of pitbulls by way of extermination. And for what? All because of bad owners.

Nope.
Because of FEAR and IGNORANCE.
The reason for most laws.