PDA

View Full Version : Empty store shelves in Gaffney SC ahead of snowstorm! 09JAN11 ...

Patriotxi
01-09-2011, 08:01 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HVdgoUMlKQw
Empty store shelves in Gaffney SC ahead of snowstorm! Now this is just a little snow storm expecting about 3-5 inches of snow. We havent even had one snowflake yet! Shelves are empty and all the schools are closed tomorrow already!

Vessol
01-09-2011, 08:02 PM
Not a surprise really. I live in Eastern NC and at the slightest hint of snow, everyone FREAKS THE FUCK OUT.

BamaAla
01-09-2011, 08:06 PM
They're saying 6-8 inches here in north Alabama; people have been going bat shit crazy.

Vessol
01-09-2011, 08:10 PM
I never got why people in the south went all crazy and bought MILK AND BREAD during a storm? Why not soup?

Patriotxi
01-09-2011, 08:26 PM
I never got why people in the south went all crazy and bought MILK AND BREAD during a storm? Why not soup?

Bread pudding I guess!

aravoth
01-09-2011, 08:26 PM

or hot chocolate?

Like thew snow is gonna be around all month or something...

Bruno
01-09-2011, 08:28 PM
The bigger lesson is how quickly shelves can empty with just a mild panic. Now imagine worse.

silverhandorder
01-09-2011, 08:58 PM
LOL we had 40 inches of snow here twice in two weeks.

edit: Why are they stocking up on milk? That shit spoils first.

Anti Federalist
01-09-2011, 09:05 PM
The bigger lesson is how quickly shelves can empty with just a mild panic. Now imagine worse.

That ^^^

Vessol
01-09-2011, 09:18 PM

Ever been to a wal-mart or a food lion the day that food stamp cards are refilled? Looks about the same.

Patriotxi
01-10-2011, 03:30 AM
Ever been to a wal-mart or a food lion the day that food stamp cards are refilled? Looks about the same.

yeah, crazy!

TNforPaul45
01-10-2011, 03:34 AM

I suppose its a latent memory and fear after having the entire south razed to the ground in the war of nothern agression. 150+ years of deep poverty can make you jumpy for food.

Patriotxi
01-10-2011, 08:35 AM
for sure!

noxagol
01-10-2011, 08:56 AM
Yes, I always joke at work when snow comes that we are going to have a stampede of people coming to get milk and eggs! Then I exclaim they are all idiots because those are the things that go bad first.

JVParkour
01-10-2011, 09:46 AM
Hey, we should meet up sometime. I am like 15 minutes from Gaffney!

Bruno
01-10-2011, 09:56 AM

No, but I can only imagine!

ctiger2
01-10-2011, 10:03 AM
Bread and Milk are truly bizarre choices.

Patriotxi
01-10-2011, 10:32 AM
for sure, I bet we have met before, but who knows my facebook is http://www.facebook.com/TheBrianFrank

RCA
01-10-2011, 10:41 AM
This happens every snow in the South.

Romulus
01-10-2011, 12:05 PM
You should have seen this town when they announced a boil water alert when e.coli was found....

oyarde
01-10-2011, 03:18 PM

Yep .

MelissaWV
01-10-2011, 05:34 PM
I have no idea why you believe milk would go bad during subfreezing temperatures. If the power goes out, just leave the milk out.

Bread is good for sandwiches and the like, and a working toaster helps create grilled cheese sandwiches. Bread and milk will also get used whether or not there is a storm (as opposed to a wall of condensed soup, which you have to heat up in order to ingest, which will become difficult when the power goes out).

The first stuff to go at the stores I was around when there were snowstorms threatening where eggs, milk, bread, water (where applicable), cheese, deli meat, chips/cookies, and batteries.

oyarde
01-10-2011, 05:57 PM
I have no idea why you believe milk would go bad during subfreezing temperatures. If the power goes out, just leave the milk out.

Bread is good for sandwiches and the like, and a working toaster helps create grilled cheese sandwiches. Bread and milk will also get used whether or not there is a storm (as opposed to a wall of condensed soup, which you have to heat up in order to ingest, which will become difficult when the power goes out).

The first stuff to go at the stores I was around when there were snowstorms threatening where eggs, milk, bread, water (where applicable), cheese, deli meat, chips/cookies, and batteries.

If your electric goes out , open the can and put it on your grill .

MelissaWV
01-10-2011, 06:07 PM
If your electric goes out , open the can and put it on your grill .

Which explains why my grocery list doesn't change if a storm threatens. I might buy MORE things to keep in case roads get blocked or the power goes out, but nothing really that different. Nearly everything grills well. Not everyone has a grill, though, and opening a can of soup and setting it directly on an open flame doesn't sound like a good idea. Incidentally, I also said "condensed" soup, so you'd need another can next to it to heat the water :p

oyarde
01-10-2011, 06:17 PM
Which explains why my grocery list doesn't change if a storm threatens. I might buy MORE things to keep in case roads get blocked or the power goes out, but nothing really that different. Nearly everything grills well. Not everyone has a grill, though, and opening a can of soup and setting it directly on an open flame doesn't sound like a good idea. Incidentally, I also said "condensed" soup, so you'd need another can next to it to heat the water :p

Everyone should have some type of grill specifically for that . I have warmed up vegetables out of a can on the grill while cooking a pc. of meat , I did not leave it in the can , but dumped it into a sauce pan .

BamaAla
01-10-2011, 07:14 PM
We ended up getting 10" at my house. This thread has inspired me to make a peanut butter and banana sandwich and wash it down with some super cold milk!

oyarde
01-10-2011, 07:28 PM
We ended up getting 10" at my house. This thread has inspired me to make a peanut butter and banana sandwich and wash it down with some super cold milk!

I am kind of lactose intolerant . Only way I can drink milk is a White Russian with extra Vodka : ).

Patriotxi
01-11-2011, 02:40 PM

love it!

Humanae Libertas
01-11-2011, 03:46 PM
Why are they stocking up on milk? That shit spoils first.

Depends. Lactose milk usually last about a month or so longer than regular milk.