PDA

View Full Version : So I was driving by the recruitment center earlier..

Vessol
01-09-2011, 03:31 PM
Earlier while getting my hair cut I passed by the recruitment center for the Army/Marines in my town and happened to look up and notice that their sign changed.

Instead of "Army Marine Recruitment Center" it now says "Army Marine Career Center"

While the more less observant might wave this off as just a simple name change, names aren't changed without a reason.

It makes me wonder if there is now a national negative vibe that is given over the word recruitment. As most people still aren't against the wars or the empire, I don't think this is the case.
I actually think it's much more "sinister" then that. A career is a positive word, it means to people a livelihood. "Going career" is not something that all those who are a part of the military do, so it's a strange word for them to use.
My thoughts? I believe that this is a way to draw in more unemployed people during the middle of the recession. Use positive words that draw people in. It also is used to try to legitimize the military more as a career choice rather than a 4-year stint.

Anyone else notice name changes like this?

pacelli
01-09-2011, 03:35 PM
Calling it a career center is quite clever. The same thing happened near me. They know that unemployment is high, and people are desperate for a job. Aside from just a job, people are looking for a long-term career.

puppetmaster
01-09-2011, 03:42 PM
I saw this at the Carson City DMV:

"In Honor of Nevada's Military Men and Women who Serve to Protect and Defend the Freedoms of Humanity".

Is this a common statement? It seems like they are advocating the concept of worldwide policing.

TonySutton
01-09-2011, 03:43 PM
I am surprised they did not change the names earlier. I mean like 20-30 years ago. Military recruiters have not been looked upon favorably in the past.

Vessol
01-09-2011, 03:43 PM

"In Honor of Nevada's Military Men and Women who Serve to Protect and Defend the Freedoms of Humanity".

Is this a common statement? It seems like they are advocating the concept of worldwide policing.

Lol, reminds me more of one of awake's toons.

http://img13.imageshack.us/img13/6493/warzy.jpg

youngbuck
01-09-2011, 03:54 PM

Have you seen any of the recent Navy commercials? Here's an example:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q_HZtTOyihg

"A global force for good."

ItsTime
01-09-2011, 03:55 PM
I heard a National Guard radio ad the other day that was basically telling parents to tell their children to not go to college right now but to enlist. One parent in the ad was saying "I want him to go to college now" the other parent "Well he says he wants to serve his country". The parents end up deciding "he could do both!" Of course the ad does not tell of the risk of being sent to the front lines in Afghanistan and Iraq.

HazyHusky420
01-09-2011, 04:28 PM
I've gotten calls from them over the past couple of years. Usually I hang up, but the last time I asked "will I be able to tear fetuses out of pregnant Islamofascists in the name of Christ?", the guy said "yeah man sure". Afterwards I said fuck you and hung up.

puppetmaster
01-09-2011, 04:35 PM
I've gotten calls from them over the past couple of years. Usually I hang up, but the last time I asked "will I be able to tear fetuses out of pregnant Islamofascists in the name of Christ?", the guy said "yeah man sure". Afterwards I said fuck you and hung up.

funny

puppetmaster
01-09-2011, 04:36 PM
Have you seen any of the recent Navy commercials? Here's an example:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q_HZtTOyihg

"A global force for good."

wow....getting crazy power hungry!

I forgot to mention that the quote I wrote above was carved in a large stone block in the front of the building.....

Rothbardian Girl
01-09-2011, 09:56 PM

I don't know whether to laugh or be alarmed.

Anti Federalist
01-09-2011, 10:32 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-NzFJxX8yoY

speciallyblend
01-09-2011, 11:24 PM
I don't know whether to laugh or be alarmed.

a lil of both, the fact is they are paid to lie. They will say or do anything to get you to sign on the line!

AGRP
01-10-2011, 12:14 AM
“Military Men Are Dumb, Stupid Animals to Be Used as Pawns for Foreign Policy.” Henry A. Kissinger

Philhelm
01-10-2011, 12:31 AM
I'd be careful here. The last thing I want to hear on the news is that Ron Paul supporters hate the troops. I was in the military, so judge me as you will, but I don't care what people think about the military in general. Hoiwever, I hope that people keep the negative aspects on the down low. I for one would like to see Ron Paul win. If we're using the Republican party as a means to an end, then we would be well advised to at least pretend to suck soldier cock...figuratively speaking.

puppetmaster
01-10-2011, 12:44 AM
I'd be careful here. The last thing I want to hear on the news is that Ron Paul supporters hate the troops. I was in the military, so judge me as you will, but I don't care what people think about the military in general. Hoiwever, I hope that people keep the negative aspects on the down low. I for one would like to see Ron Paul win. If we're using the Republican party as a means to an end, then we would be well advised to at least pretend to suck soldier cock...figuratively speaking.

that won't fly.....

Philhelm
01-10-2011, 01:25 AM
that won't fly.....

Says the guy with the burning dollar bill airplane. :D (Corny, I know, but I couldn't help it) All I'm suggesting is the honey, not vinegar approach. By and large, the mainstream Republicans are very pro-military, and there is no way Ron Paul can win as a Republican if his supporters use anti-military rhetoric. It doesn't matter so much on this site in my opinion, but when trying to convert people, we need to take into account the mindset of the one we are trying to convert. In the current climate, that will mostly be Republicans, since I find it very unlikely that many Democrats will change their voter registration in order to vote for Ron Paul in the 2012 (I hope he runs!) Republican primary.

RideTheDirt
01-10-2011, 02:53 AM
I puked in my mouth a little when I read this.

AxisMundi
01-10-2011, 04:03 AM
Earlier while getting my hair cut I passed by the recruitment center for the Army/Marines in my town and happened to look up and notice that their sign changed.

Instead of "Army Marine Recruitment Center" it now says "Army Marine Career Center"

While the more less observant might wave this off as just a simple name change, names aren't changed without a reason.

It makes me wonder if there is now a national negative vibe that is given over the word recruitment. As most people still aren't against the wars or the empire, I don't think this is the case.
I actually think it's much more "sinister" then that. A career is a positive word, it means to people a livelihood. "Going career" is not something that all those who are a part of the military do, so it's a strange word for them to use.
My thoughts? I believe that this is a way to draw in more unemployed people during the middle of the recession. Use positive words that draw people in. It also is used to try to legitimize the military more as a career choice rather than a 4-year stint.

The recruitment departments of the military are advertising people, plain and simple.

They use the same demographic sampling and targeting, CORE techniques, advertising campaign managing and maintenance, and other tools advertising companies have used for many years.

Nothing uprising, or any more sinister than usual, here.

Promontorium
01-10-2011, 07:29 AM
"Going career" is not something that all those who are a part of the military do, so it's a strange word for them to use.

Interesting actually, as soon as one finds themself in the military, one will see they heavily promote the idea of making it a career. I always intended on 1 enlistment, and so I got a lot of shit while in, for planning to get out. The rhetoric is they want everyone to make it a career even when the reality is that they have too many people. They want you to want to make it a career, because the more people who want to stay, the more they can weed out people they don't want. One of hundreds of incongruous facets of this is that the longer you're in, the less they offer you to stay (re-enlistment bonus, billet), and even worse, no matter how good you are, they have no rational or consistent method of paying better people more. Ultimately shitbags stay, keep the easy money, and make the short termers do all the work.

Also, the previous reply is correct, it is marketing, expect no more or less, a recruiter's job is to recruit.

Madly_Sane
01-10-2011, 09:10 AM
a lil of both, the fact is they are paid to lie. They will say or do anything to get you to sign on the line!

But you can't exactly call that a lie when they have done that... I'm sure there is a scenario where a soldier did something to that degree.

oyarde
01-10-2011, 02:39 PM
“Military Men Are Dumb, Stupid Animals to Be Used as Pawns for Foreign Policy.” Henry A. Kissinger

Yeah , Henry , real classy ....

fisharmor
01-10-2011, 03:02 PM
Nothing uprising, or any more sinister than usual, here.

Doesn't anyone remember when being a Marine meant that you get to walk on laser bridges and fight lava monsters?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lDZ2fMHTvwk

Bottom line from this particular RP supporter is this: the US military is nothing less than an organized religion.
I am anti military, but I am not against the troops any more than I am against individual suckers who got taken in by Scientology.
I am sure as hell not going to support them, though, considering that their religion is fundamentally at odds with my religion, my liberty, and my wallet.

coastie
01-10-2011, 03:17 PM

I'm assuming you've never been in the military, as it is very common for them to consider/CALL it a career. People both in the military and out asked that all the time..."Are you finishing out this enlistment or are you going career?"

But yeah, it's just window dressing-that will work, unfortunately.:mad: