PDA

View Full Version : Heritage Foundation withdraws from CPAC

Agorism
01-08-2011, 10:17 AM
Nearly every presumptive 2012 Republican presidential candidate will be there, along with 120 conservative groups and thousands of activists.

But the first big conservative forum of the 2012 election—next month’s Conservative Political Action Conference, or CPAC–is causing yet another kafuffle on the right because of the participation of a small group, called GOProud, that represents conservative gays.

Similar to last year’s CPAC, more than a half dozen groups say they won’t attend the three-day forum to protest the involvement of GOProud. Most of the groups are conservative Christian organizations such as the American Family Association or the Family Research Council.

But more surprising is that this year, the Heritage Foundation—which usually focuses more on fiscal and defense policy—also plans to sit out the conference, typically one of the biggest conservative draws of the year.

“We hope that CPAC will better define what they are about,” say Heritage’s vice president for communications, Mike Gonzalez, who said the decision was not directly linked to GOProud’s participation.

CPAC director Lisa De Pasquale said she’s sorry the conference is causing some strife. But she noted that few of the groups protesting GOProud’s involvement have ever come to CPAC in the past.

“Our job is to provide the best experience possible for those people who are able to attend,” she said.

For now, Ms. De Pasquale says, the real challenge with CPAC isn’t the groups declining to attend, but the profusion of newly elected Republicans who want to address the forum.“We are having to turn people away,” she says.

So far, among potential 2012 contenders, Haley Barbour, Mitch Daniels, Newt Gingrich, Ron Paul, Tim Pawlenty, Mitt Romney, Rick Santorum and John Thune all plan to address the forum. CPAC wants Sarah Palin to give the opening address, but she has yet to respond.

GOProud’s executive director, Jimmy LaSalvia, is taking the whole thing in stride. “We’re going to be at CPAC this year, just like we were last year,” he said. “We just wish all conservatives could join us.”

http://blogs.wsj.com/washwire/2011/01/07/another-cpac-dust-up-over-gays

Sola_Fide
01-08-2011, 10:33 AM
Heritage is a drug-war, Chicago-school, authoritarian outfit anyway.

Feeding the Abscess
01-08-2011, 10:35 AM
This is intentionally inflammatory:

Fuck 'em.

robertwerden
01-08-2011, 10:54 AM
From my point of view this is going with the tides of change in the conservative party. The old guard is all but irrelevant just in their own minds. The new guard is taking control and steering the conservative movement into the 21st century where we remember our conservative roots in monetary and foreign policy, and embrace the spirit of liberty even in groups that individually we may not want to be associated with but on a whole we respect because they have natural rights to liberty just like we do.

I do not support half the groups that exist in the conservative movement, but I respect their right to exist and to be heard. This is what the Revolution is about, bringing people together.

Agorism
01-08-2011, 11:06 AM
All though I do support GOProud, Ron should stick entirely to economic and war&peace issues during CPAC, and let these monkeys throw shit at each other as the side show.

Staying on message is important in politics.

skyorbit
01-08-2011, 01:01 PM
Wouldn't this Help Paul?

Tracy

ronpaulhawaii
01-08-2011, 01:05 PM
All though I do support GOProud, Ron should stick entirely to economic and war&peace issues during CPAC, and let these monkeys throw shit at each other as the side show.

Hear here!

LibertyMage
01-08-2011, 03:38 PM
Don't be deceived. The neo-cons will be there in full force.

HazyHusky420
01-08-2011, 04:00 PM
Reminds me of this moonbat article pertaining to last years convention:

http://www.crosstalkblog.com/2010/02/cpac-ron-paul-libertarianism-and-homosexuality/

HazyHusky420
01-08-2011, 04:05 PM
What's with the Log Cabin Republicans and GOProud as of late? What about Outright Libertarians? Or is there a Liberty Caucus growing from within the Log Cabin Republicans and GOProud? I don't know but i'm sticking with the Outright Libertarians.

johnrocks
01-08-2011, 04:45 PM
Great! The social conservatives and now the neo conservatives are bailing. I think I need food,drugs,alcohol or sex to relieve this excitement I'm feeling right now.

muzzled dogg
01-08-2011, 04:55 PM
one less table of people i disagree with

ChrisKuper
01-08-2011, 04:59 PM

I know Jimmy personally and he's a really sweet guy. But GOProud is nothing close to libertarian. I gave him a real hard time last year because he had stickers at his booth that said Dick Cheney 2012 lol. This whole thing really baffles me, besides the homosexual aspect of GOProud, they and Heritage actually have a lot in common.

HazyHusky420
01-08-2011, 05:07 PM
I know Jimmy personally and he's a really sweet guy. But GOProud is nothing close to libertarian.

That's why Outright Libertarians need more exposure.