PDA

View Full Version : Miami cops to purchase surveillance drone.

Anti Federalist
01-07-2011, 10:21 PM
Normally, this would be another, ignored, story of the continuing militarization of the police.

But for this really spectacular example of "doublethink" from the local Oberführer in Miami, this story deserves attention.

Look for the text in bold.

Drone may be coming to Miami-Dade

http://www.wsvn.com/news/articles/local/21003198189967/

DORAL, Fla. (WSVN) -- A new piece of technology may soon be coming to South Florida, but is already raising concerns from residents.

The Miami-Dade Police Department recently finalized a deal to buy a drone, which is an unmanned plane equipped with cameras. Drones have been used for years in Iraq and Afghanistan in the war against terror.

Many residents are concerned that the new technology will violate their privacy.

MDPD purchased a drone named T-hawk from defense firm Honeywell to assist with the department's Special Response Team's operations. The 20-pound drone can fly for 40 minutes, reach heights of 10,500 feet and cruise in the air at 46 miles an hour.

"It gives us a good opportunity to have an eye up there. Not a surveilling eye, not a spying eye. Let's make the distinction. A surveilling eye to help us to do the things we need to do, honestly, to keep people safe," said Miami-Dade Police Director James Loftus.

The purchase of the drone may have been made possible through a federal grant; however, this has not been confirmed.

Honeywell has applied to the FAA for clearance to fly the drone in urban areas. This has never been allowed before, but if it does happen, the Miami-Dade Police Department will be the first police agency in the US to use the technology

Mike4Freedom
01-08-2011, 12:07 AM
It won't be to long until we have things like this in every major city. Except they will have weapons on them. Kind of reminds me of this:

http://www.tunersandmodels.com/wp/wp-content/uploads/2009/07/hk_aerial_2029.jpg

Here are the current drones that are being used overseas:
http://www.af.mil/information/factsheets/factsheet.asp?id=6405

The wars are just a testing ground. Yeah we may have some nice AR15s and AKs but we are no match for these things.

Philhelm
01-08-2011, 02:35 AM
^And I was about to ask if missiles would be installed. Wouldn't that be cool? I'm really starting to hate this nation, despite the fact that if cut, I bleed red, white, and blue. :( Actually, the Constitution is cool, as are the Founding Fathers. It's just the Americunts that I'm really starting to despise, as well as the obligatory hatred for our corrupt government.

Teaser Rate
01-08-2011, 06:56 AM
Outside of the possible federal subsidy, I don’t see any problems with this.

If using this kind of technology allows the police do their job better or for lower costs, then I really don’t see the downside; I don’t see how the expectation of privacy changes if some police helicopters get replaced by cheaper, more efficient and less noisy unmanned drones.

Dark_Horse_Rider
01-08-2011, 06:57 AM
Wonder how long before it gets shot down

MRK
01-08-2011, 09:47 AM
Primary Function: Unmanned hunter/killer weapon system
Speed: Cruise speed around 230 miles per hour (200 knots)
Armament: Combination of AGM-114 Hellfire missiles, GBU-12 Paveway II and GBU-38 Joint Direct Attack Munitions
Crew (remote): Two (pilot and sensor operator)
Unit Cost: $53.5 million (includes four aircraft with sensors) (fiscal 2006 dollars)

LOL

U N J U S T I F I A B L E

amy31416
01-08-2011, 10:14 AM

If using this kind of technology allows the police do their job better or for lower costs, then I really don’t see the downside; I don’t see how the expectation of privacy changes if some police helicopters get replaced by cheaper, more efficient and less noisy unmanned drones.

"Possible" federal subsidy? :p

So....what do you think the police will be using this for? Or perhaps a better question--What will they say they're going to use it for vs. what will they actually use it for?

agitator
01-08-2011, 10:15 AM

Exactly! If you have nothing to hide, why fear the State?

Anti Federalist
01-08-2011, 12:19 PM

What makes you think for one second the cops are going to give up their helicopters?

No, they'll have both, for an added layer of surveillance.

That's freedom, isn't it? Total surveillance of your every move, 24/7 by armed state enforcers.

Anti Federalist
01-08-2011, 12:20 PM
dupe post, nvm

Teaser Rate
01-09-2011, 06:38 AM
Exactly! If you have nothing to hide, why fear the State?

I mind the state when it infringes on private property rights without good reasons, since the drones would only have access to public areas which the police already has access to, I don’t see how the expectation of privacy changes.

What makes you think for one second the cops are going to give up their helicopters?

No, they'll have both, for an added layer of surveillance.

That's freedom, isn't it? Total surveillance of your every move, 24/7 by armed state enforcers.

Because they only have so much money to spend and if they buy drones, then they’ll have to give up other items to balance their budget? As I’ve said in my original post, my support depends on the city paying for its own law-enforcement, if drones are paid for via federal grants, then I have a problem with their use.

"Possible" federal subsidy? :p

So....what do you think the police will be using this for? Or perhaps a better question--What will they say they're going to use it for vs. what will they actually use it for?

Law enforcement.

(Ok, maybe a cop or two will abuse it to look into open windows and at other non-police work related scenes.)