PDA

View Full Version : I went to the bank today...

ivflight
01-07-2011, 05:33 PM
...to cash a check. The check was made out to me and was not very big (a few grocery trips worth). I took it to the issuer's bank (credit union, actually) to cash it in full. First time I went they couldn't cash it because I showed them an expired driver's license. Second time I brought my passport.

I had to do the following:

Sign the check
Sign their electronic pad thing
Put my thumbprint on the check
Show them my passport, which they ran through some database
Put up with the guy telling my over and over how much easier it would be if I just opened an account with them

I have not cashed a check in a long time but this blew me away. Someone can't cash a check anymore without getting harassed?

I did not go easy, and asked lots of questions - I think it took about 15min to do everything. I asked about the thumbprint, what kind of ink it was (it was clear on my thumb but showed up on the check). I would have refused the thumbprint but the govt already has mine...

I asked what he was doing with my passport and he told me he was running it with the "FBI, CIA..."

They were having problems with their computer system when before I showed up and the teller told me without the computers running that he wouldn't have been able to cash it at all.

oyarde
01-07-2011, 05:41 PM
...to cash a check. The check was made out to me and was not very big (a few grocery trips worth). I took it to the issuer's bank (credit union, actually) to cash it in full. First time I went they couldn't cash it because I showed them an expired driver's license. Second time I brought my passport.

Sign the check
Put up with the guy telling my over and over how much easier it would be if I just opened an account with them

I have not cashed a check in a long time but this blew me away. Someone can't cash a check anymore without getting harassed?

I did not go easy, and asked lots of questions - I think it took about 15min to do everything. I asked about the thumbprint, what kind of ink it was (it was clear on my thumb but showed up on the check). I would have refused the thumbprint but the govt already has mine...

I asked what he was doing with my passport and he told me he was running it with the "FBI, CIA..."

They were having problems with their computer system when before I showed up and the teller told me without the computers running that he wouldn't have been able to cash it at all.

I think he may have lied to you . I do not believe a bank has any ability to run a passport / CIA info . Transactions over 10,000 get reported to FBI . I wonder if Homeland Security has a finger in this pie ?

ivflight
01-07-2011, 05:58 PM
I think he may have lied to you . I do not believe a bank has any ability to run a passport / CIA info . Transactions over 10,000 get reported to FBI . I wonder if Homeland Security has a finger in this pie ?

More likely he just didn't know what he was talking about. He probably just enters the info into some portal and it comes back go/nogo. Who knows what database it is being checked against.

ivflight
01-07-2011, 05:59 PM
Has anyone else experienced similar treatment when cashing a check? I'm curious if this is really normal nowadays or if I was flagged somehow.

sailingaway
01-07-2011, 06:06 PM
Has anyone else experienced similar treatment when cashing a check? I'm curious if this is really normal nowadays or if I was flagged somehow.

When I went in to deposit a check recently, a guy at the bank told me they were getting at least one incident a day, lately, where people had stolen checks out of mailboxes, washed them to take off the original payee's name, and written their own name in instead. They were recommending direct deposit wherever possible.

oyarde
01-07-2011, 06:08 PM
More likely he just didn't know what he was talking about. He probably just enters the info into some portal and it comes back go/nogo. Who knows what database it is being checked against.

I suppose there may be a data base that has lost / stolen / missing ones listed.. hard to imagine it would do very well , think " no fly list "

Kludge
01-07-2011, 06:33 PM
I'm kind of surprised a bank you didn't belong to was willing to cash it for you at all.

virgil47
01-07-2011, 06:33 PM
When I went in to deposit a check recently, a guy at the bank told me they were getting at least one incident a day, lately, where people had stolen checks out of mailboxes, washed them to take off the original payee's name, and written their own name in instead. They were recommending direct deposit wherever possible.

Whatever you do do not enroll in direct deposit. It is one of the biggest scams going. If you sign up you have just allowed "XXXX" to put money into your account but what you may not realize is you have just authorized "XXXX" to take money out as well. If say "XXXX" decides you have been over payed they can simply take it out of your account. They do not need to get a court order they simply take it. If you feel your money was wrongly taken it is up to you to sue and prove that you did not owe the money. Welcome to Great Britain folks you are now guilty until you prove your innocence not the other way around. You see direct deposit is more properly known as an E.F.T. or eft. An electronic fund transfer agreement automatically gives those that put money into your account the ability to take money out. They do not have to justify any withdrawals it is up to you to try to get your money back. I became aware of what the direct deposit scam was when the U.S. Government decided it would be a condition of employment. I called the University of Washington and was directed to a research assistant. This researcher did several days of digging through the federal laws pertaining to EFT's. The results were that once you agree to give some one access to your bank account through an EFT or direct deposit you have given them the ability to withdraw funds as well. The results were also that it is illegal to require access to your personal bank account as a condition of employment. I still get a paper check in the mail and will continue to do so. Be very, very careful to whom you give access to your bank account.

oyarde
01-07-2011, 06:36 PM
I'm kind of surprised a bank you didn't belong to was willing to cash it for you at all.

Since it was drawn on the bank he took it to , I guess they would have to ?

Kludge
01-07-2011, 06:40 PM
Since it was drawn on the bank he took it to , I guess they would have to ?

Don't see why. Checks aren't legal tender.

oyarde
01-07-2011, 06:48 PM

Yeah , but it would have to be accepted at that bank or they would not have any customers ? No customers , no bank ?

Kludge
01-07-2011, 06:52 PM
Yeah , but it would have to be accepted at that bank or they would not have any customers ? No customers , no bank ?

They'd still have customers since almost everyone will cash the check at a bank where they have an account instead of what the OP did, and they'd probably insist a customer open an account with them to cash the check, so it may result in a net gain of customers. The bank doesn't seem to have much incentive to allow people who aren't clients to cash checks with them.

Working Poor
01-07-2011, 07:18 PM
pretty soon you will have to have a urine and blood sample as well

oyarde
01-07-2011, 07:25 PM
They'd still have customers since almost everyone will cash the check at a bank where they have an account instead of what the OP did, and they'd probably insist a customer open an account with them to cash the check, so it may result in a net gain of customers. The bank doesn't seem to have much incentive to allow people who aren't clients to cash checks with them.

I see , I think .

AxisMundi
01-07-2011, 08:00 PM

Sign the check

You're not being singled out.

Stolen/fraudulent checks are a huge problem that Big banks are taking advantage of, attempting to force people to become customers of said bank.

When marine Midland was bought out by HSBC, it didn't take me long to switch. Not only was the switch over not announced (big surprise when I went to cash my paycheck. "Where's my bank?") HSBC gave me huge problems cashing my paychecks, and refused to cash my tax return check despite being a customer of Marine Midland for over a decade. The type of account I had didn't have charges for low balance at the time, so I withdrew all but a penny and they never saw me again.

I am very happy with my current bank. I even have cashed my checks out-of-state and my tax return out of the area.

This is a case of the Free Market. Find a bank that suits your needs and desires.

angelatc
01-07-2011, 08:03 PM

NM - I was wrong. Apparently the laws have changed in the past 20 years. :)

AxisMundi
01-07-2011, 08:04 PM
Whatever you do do not enroll in direct deposit. It is one of the biggest scams going. If you sign up you have just allowed "XXXX" to put money into your account but what you may not realize is you have just authorized "XXXX" to take money out as well. If say "XXXX" decides you have been over payed they can simply take it out of your account. They do not need to get a court order they simply take it. If you feel your money was wrongly taken it is up to you to sue and prove that you did not owe the money. Welcome to Great Britain folks you are now guilty until you prove your innocence not the other way around. You see direct deposit is more properly known as an E.F.T. or eft. An electronic fund transfer agreement automatically gives those that put money into your account the ability to take money out. They do not have to justify any withdrawals it is up to you to try to get your money back. I became aware of what the direct deposit scam was when the U.S. Government decided it would be a condition of employment. I called the University of Washington and was directed to a research assistant. This researcher did several days of digging through the federal laws pertaining to EFT's. The results were that once you agree to give some one access to your bank account through an EFT or direct deposit you have given them the ability to withdraw funds as well. The results were also that it is illegal to require access to your personal bank account as a condition of employment. I still get a paper check in the mail and will continue to do so. Be very, very careful to whom you give access to your bank account.

Depends on the bank and it's policies.

No one, not even the depositor, may withdraw funds from my accounts without my approval.

What you are also not noting is that said depositor may not withdraw more than they have deposited. You are making it appear as if said depositor can empty your bank account. This is not true.

However, your last sentence applies to all monetary transactions. Be careful.

oyarde
01-07-2011, 08:06 PM
NM - I was wrong. Apparently the laws have changed in the past 20 years. :)

That is what I thought .

torchbearer
01-07-2011, 08:16 PM

If the check is written on that bank, and it is signed by the account holder at that bank, then they should cash it. that is the whole purpose of the check.

Kylie
01-07-2011, 09:14 PM
If the check is written on that bank, and it is signed by the account holder at that bank, then they should cash it. that is the whole purpose of the check.

I agree, and have had no problem doing so even in the last week.

specsaregood
01-07-2011, 09:26 PM

You are lucky they didn't charge you a fee for cashing it. That is pretty common. I guess you got lucky it was a credit union.

oyarde
01-07-2011, 09:29 PM
You are lucky they didn't charge you a fee for cashing it. That is pretty common. I guess you got lucky it was a credit union.

Yes , fee would not be suprising .

virgil47
01-07-2011, 11:59 PM
Depends on the bank and it's policies.

No one, not even the depositor, may withdraw funds from my accounts without my approval.

What you are also not noting is that said depositor may not withdraw more than they have deposited. You are making it appear as if said depositor can empty your bank account. This is not true.

However, your last sentence applies to all monetary transactions. Be careful.

You are sadly mistaken. Your lack of understanding of electronic fund transfers may cause you grief some day. If you choose not to believe me about how eft's work than please contact your state banking commissioner. Any agreement you think you may have with the bank is totally superseded by the law as it pertains to efts. The law by the way is federal in nature and can not be over ridden by your state.

cindy25
01-08-2011, 12:09 AM

not legal tender but its their check. "pay to the order of ........" that means payable at their office, on demand. most people deposit checks, but it is a legal obligation of the bank to cash it. think he was just giving you a hard time so next time you deposit it

cindy25
01-08-2011, 12:13 AM
You're not being singled out.

Stolen/fraudulent checks are a huge problem that Big banks are taking advantage of, attempting to force people to become customers of said bank.

When marine Midland was bought out by HSBC, it didn't take me long to switch. Not only was the switch over not announced (big surprise when I went to cash my paycheck. "Where's my bank?") HSBC gave me huge problems cashing my paychecks, and refused to cash my tax return check despite being a customer of Marine Midland for over a decade. The type of account I had didn't have charges for low balance at the time, so I withdrew all but a penny and they never saw me again.

I am very happy with my current bank. I even have cashed my checks out-of-state and my tax return out of the area.

This is a case of the Free Market. Find a bank that suits your needs and desires.

tax return checks are different, they are drawn on the Treasurer of the United States, and could bounce. maybe HSBC is preparing for the inevitable

Jeremy
01-08-2011, 12:22 AM
Doesn't sound like much to complain about. What if you found a check and tried to cash it? They better be 100% sure you are the person the check was intended for.

skyorbit
01-08-2011, 01:41 AM
This doesn't sound like much to complain about.

When I was selling books door to door, we were told to take checks to the bank of the issuer to make sure it wouldn't bounce rather then depositing it and 3 days later finding out it wasn't valid.

But yes, we had to should our ID. They need to make sure we're who the check is made out to.

Tracy

cindy25
01-08-2011, 03:18 AM
This doesn't sound like much to complain about.

When I was selling books door to door, we were told to take checks to the bank of the issuer to make sure it wouldn't bounce rather then depositing it and 3 days later finding out it wasn't valid.

But yes, we had to should our ID. They need to make sure we're who the check is made out to.

Tracy

ID is reasonable; thumb print, FBI databases are not

if you are the person to whom the check was written, as shown by your ID, then your credit status should not matter, nor is it the bank's business if you have unpaid parking tickets or are wanted for murder.

and when selling something you cash the check rather than deposit it so the customer doesn't change his mind. the term used to be called "wifed" because the wife would bitch the husband spent too much money

LibertyRevolution
01-08-2011, 02:52 PM
To cash my payroll check drawn on bank of America, at bank of America, as a non account holder, cost a $6 fee and a thumbprint.
And I still refuse to have an account with them.
The teller asked me why I don't open an account. I told her because I wouldn't want everyone I wrote a check to to be treated this way.

AxisMundi
01-08-2011, 08:33 PM
You are sadly mistaken. Your lack of understanding of electronic fund transfers may cause you grief some day. If you choose not to believe me about how eft's work than please contact your state banking commissioner. Any agreement you think you may have with the bank is totally superseded by the law as it pertains to efts. The law by the way is federal in nature and can not be over ridden by your state.

Then please link to the pertinent laws.

My information is directly from my banker.

AxisMundi
01-08-2011, 08:36 PM
tax return checks are different, they are drawn on the Treasurer of the United States, and could bounce. maybe HSBC is preparing for the inevitable

I left HSBC over a decade ago.

They are also rated among one of the worst banks in the country.

Not surprising considering my experiences with them.

Also, I utilize a tax preparation service and rapid refunds. The checks are drawn on private banks, not the Treasury, and I've had no problem cashing my tax return checks (should have been more specific, sorry) with my present bank.

A short wait in line (if any), a quick phone call, and I walk out with cash. :)

virgil47
01-08-2011, 09:15 PM
Then please link to the pertinent laws.

My information is directly from my banker.

Your best bet is to contact your state banking commissioner. They will be able to quote the pertinent laws for you. I no longer have them written down.

speciallyblend
01-08-2011, 09:22 PM
banks are dead. they will never get another penny of my money from their bs!!

libertarian4321
01-08-2011, 09:42 PM
I'm glad they make you jump through a few hoops if you try and cash a check there and they don't know who you are- it will reduce the number of people who fraudulently charge checks.

Of course, if you have an account there, you'd have no trouble.

Or if you had direct deposit it would be real easy. I haven't carried a paper pay check into a bank office to "cash" it in decades- probably since the late '80s.

ivflight
01-08-2011, 10:57 PM
Well, the guy wanted me to pay them to open an account...unlikely.

I asked him if I would have to do all this if the check was made out to 'cash' and he said yes, so it had nothing to do with protecting clients. There was nothing he did at any time to actively confirm my actual identity. I could have a stolen check just like I could have a stolen passport (maybe I stole them from the same guy...). He didn't actually check my fingerprint against a database, and he never gave me the back and forth on my passport image (was doesn't look like me anymore anyways).

I think it would be really funny if legal tender laws come back to bite the establishment in the ass. They would like to deny people the ability to use cash, but they have no established FRN's as the only legal currency. Seems to me that if all debts are satisfiable with dollars by law, then I should always be able to get my dollar bills if I want them.

speciallyblend
01-08-2011, 11:05 PM
I'm glad they make you jump through a few hoops if you try and cash a check there and they don't know who you are- it will reduce the number of people who fraudulently charge checks.

Of course, if you have an account there, you'd have no trouble.

Or if you had direct deposit it would be real easy. I haven't carried a paper pay check into a bank office to "cash" it in decades- probably since the late '80s.

the new goal for banks is actually charging the bank account a fee for folks cashing a check from that bank account even if from the same bank!! so if your not the card holder from that bank but the check is from that bank .They will charge you now even if the check was written from that bank and from an account from someone you know at that bank!! this has become policy at banks in colorado!! sob's

i stopped direct deposit so i could close my account. We have a paycard now so i hope i am done with banks other then online transfers!!