PDA

View Full Version : HAHAHAHA --- Illinois State Income Tax going up by 75%

Cowlesy
01-07-2011, 10:36 AM
MUST FEED the BEAST.

http://chicago.cbslocal.com/2011/01/06/tax-increase-plan-bigger-than-expected/

SPRINGFIELD (AP) — Top Illinois Democrats have agreed to push a plan that would temporarily boost income taxes by 75 percent and double cigarette taxes, Senate President John Cullerton said Thursday.

Illinois’ personal income tax rate, now 3 percent, would climb to 5.25 percent for four years under the plan Cullerton outlined. After that, it would drop to 3.75 percent.That means someone who now owes $1,000 in state income taxes would owe $1,750 at the new rate, then $1,250 after four years.

Welcome to our New Yorker world, my Illinois friends!!

coastie
01-07-2011, 10:39 AM
Wow. FL income tax rate: 0% :)

Southron
01-07-2011, 10:52 AM
That's quite an increase and I bet they make it permanent before the 4 years are up.

I feel sorry for you all in the state of Chicago.

amy31416
01-07-2011, 11:02 AM
Cowlesy is an angry New Yorker.

Hey, I hear you guys have a 1:1 ratio of therapists there to help you work through your bitterness. :D

libertybrewcity
01-07-2011, 11:07 AM
it hasn't passed yet. republicans made some gains in the senate and legislature, too.

klamath
01-07-2011, 11:07 AM
MUST FEED the BEAST.

http://chicago.cbslocal.com/2011/01/06/tax-increase-plan-bigger-than-expected/

Welcome to our New Yorker world, my Illinois friends!!

Chicago the next detroit. Business expansion for the south and mountain west.

Krugerrand
01-07-2011, 11:11 AM
That's quite an increase and I bet they make it permanent before the 4 years are up.

I feel sorry for you all in the state of Chicago.

My first thought, also. That rate is never going down. Try to reduce it, and the DEMs there will accuse you of cutting taxes for the wealthy.

Dreamofunity
01-07-2011, 11:24 AM
Wow. FL income tax rate: 0% :)

:)

Cowlesy
01-07-2011, 11:40 AM

Just wait. Mission creep is inevitable.

sailingaway
01-07-2011, 12:01 PM
It will still be less than California's.

torchbearer
01-07-2011, 12:05 PM

a trend for louisiana- businesses are consolidating all their operations to this state for the cheap labor. our cost of living is low, our standard wages are low.

klamath
01-07-2011, 12:33 PM
Yep. California used to be the golden place for business. Not anymore.

driege
01-07-2011, 12:35 PM
FUCK ME. The raise I just got has just evaporated into thin air.

noxagol
01-07-2011, 12:38 PM
YAY, I fucking hate this state.

amonasro
01-07-2011, 01:02 PM
Damn. I just heard about this. Corporate tax rate will go from 4.8 to 8.4%. The state owes $15 billion and refuses to cut a cent.

VBRonPaulFan
01-07-2011, 01:10 PM
My first thought, also. That rate is never going down. Try to reduce it, and the DEMs there will accuse you of cutting taxes for the wealthy.

i love when liberals try to use that line on me, and i tell them 'well it'd be cutting taxes for the poor too - except they don't pay any'

Kylie
01-07-2011, 01:11 PM
YAY, I fucking hate this state.

Word.

This moves up my timeline to get the fuck outta here. It's now. Not in two years.

noxagol
01-07-2011, 01:22 PM
i love when liberals try to use that line on me, and i tell them 'well it'd be cutting taxes for the poor too - except they don't pay any'

I'm plenty poor and I still pay the state income tax, as well as federal tax. I don't understand how to not pay taxes for being poor. I'm confused.

noxagol
01-07-2011, 01:23 PM
Word.

This moves up my timeline to get the fuck outta here. It's now. Not in two years.

Wish I could afford to move.

Acala
01-07-2011, 01:26 PM
Sorry for you Illinois folks. Some of the nicest people in the country live there and Chicago is a beautiful city. Well, at least you have strict gun control so there is no crime there!:D

Kylie
01-07-2011, 03:28 PM
Wish I could afford to move.

Me too! :)

I think we are going to get the hell outta here regardless, but this does put one more nail in the coffin of this state.

If they would just split Chicago off into it's own state, then the rest of us down in the southern part of the state may have a chance.

I love the state, hate the government.

Kregisen
01-07-2011, 03:58 PM
I wish all libertarians had their own state, like new hampshire or something small for all libertarians to accumulate to. I think you would find a state with the smallest taxes, smallest crime rates, wealthiest income per capita, etc.

WorldonaString
01-07-2011, 09:45 PM
Yikes! My family is not going to be happy about this. . . Chicago's f***ups effect the entire state. . .

Fredom101
01-07-2011, 09:56 PM
If you live in Illinois, vote with your feet and get the F out!

jlaker
01-07-2011, 10:01 PM
I'm from Illinois and can't stand how our government operates here. Hopefully things can get turned around here for the better. If not, I'm ready to move somewhere warmer.

noxagol
01-07-2011, 10:15 PM
I've been ready to move somewhere else for a while now. I do not like it here. I just want out. Alas, I cannot afford to move for a multitude of reasons.

angelatc
01-07-2011, 10:17 PM

"Creep" is also a problem the South is going to have. As people flee the rust belt, they're bringing their single-parent, welfare lovin' attitudes with them. It's easy to see why the Southerners don't care for the Northerners that move in.

ghengis86
01-07-2011, 10:51 PM
Illinois tax hike good for Indiana- Daniels

"Folks in Illinois will eventually have to decide: Is this working well enough for us or do we want something different?" he said. "Point one of our anti-recession strategy here is to avoid doing what they've now decided to do."

"That's just borrowing by a different name. They've been borrowing from the poor businesses that are suckers enough to do business with the state," he said.

That's a pretty ballsy statement; maybe trying to stir up some attention and get himself in the media spotlight.

DamianTV
01-08-2011, 08:36 AM
I really want to say something about Nevada not having a State Income Tax, but uh, well, really high gas prices compared to the rest of the nation, even higher than California in some spots, oh, and highest unemployment, highest foreclosures, highest budget defecit...

I have this strange feeling that we are about to see a State Income Tax here...

klamath
01-08-2011, 09:24 AM
I really want to say something about Nevada not having a State Income Tax, but uh, well, really high gas prices compared to the rest of the nation, even higher than California in some spots, oh, and highest unemployment, highest foreclosures, highest budget defecit...

I have this strange feeling that we are about to see a State Income Tax here...

Las Vegas wrecked your decent political climate just like SF and LA wrecked California's.

Keith and stuff
01-08-2011, 09:34 AM
Las Vegas wrecked your decent political climate just like SF and LA wrecked California's.

Yeah but Las Vegas pays much of the taxes in NV (well, the tourists and gamblers do).

The unemployment rate in NH is 5.4% and it has the 2nd fastest job growth in the nation. Not to mention lowest crime (whereas NV has just about the highest crime) and so on. Plus, NH is the #1 destination in the world for folks moving for or to become liberty activists.

Oh, and taxes will likely go down this year in NH.

Kludge
01-12-2011, 05:36 AM
Surprise! It passed.

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/U/US_ILLINOIS_TAXES?SITE=RIPAW&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT

"We're saying to the people of Illinois, 'For eight years we've overspent, now we're going to make it your problem,'" said Rep. Roger Eddy. "We're making up for our mistakes on your back.'

Lol... Who's problem was it BEFORE this bill passed? ... Or maybe he wasn't being sarcastic :x

angelatc
01-12-2011, 07:08 AM
Surprise! It passed.

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/U/US_ILLINOIS_TAXES?SITE=RIPAW&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT

"We're saying to the people of Illinois, 'For eight years we've overspent, now we're going to make it your problem,'" said Rep. Roger Eddy. "We're making up for our mistakes on your back.'

Lol... Who's problem was it BEFORE this bill passed? ... Or maybe he wasn't being sarcastic :x

Passed in a hurry by a lame duck Congress mere hours before their term ended, because it needed the support of the (D) legislators who were headed out of office. And despite holding all 3 branches of government since 2003, the Democrats insist they aren't to blame.

Cowlesy
01-12-2011, 07:25 AM
Surprise! It passed.

That's awesome. I hope Carol Mosely-Braun wins the Chicago Mayor's race just to see how long it takes for the whole state to just flame itself out.

james1906
01-12-2011, 07:35 AM
I've already been seeing a lot of Illinois plates driving around Houston. I'm expecting to see a lot more. As said earlier, this could make Chicago the next Detroit. Businesses aren't going to put up with it because Chicago doesn't have the prestige of New York.

noxagol
01-12-2011, 07:53 AM
I've already been seeing a lot of Illinois plates driving around Houston. I'm expecting to see a lot more. As said earlier, this could make Chicago the next Detroit. Businesses aren't going to put up with it because Chicago doesn't have the prestige of New York.

It does, however, have the prestige of the Hudson River, dirty and filled with shit.

Keith and stuff
01-12-2011, 01:20 PM
It does, however, have the prestige of the Hudson River, dirty and filled with shit.

Well, taxes are a lot higher in NYC than Chicago (even after these massive tax increases in IL) and the economy is doing ok in NYC so...