PDA

View Full Version : WANTED: Austro-Monetary Economist for Ron Paul

Yvonne
01-07-2011, 10:08 AM
Ron’s chief of staff Jeff Deist is looking for a smart, young economist, “thoroughly Austrian, and preferably with an advanced degree. More details here:
http://www.lewrockwell.com/blog/lewrw/archives/74776.html

muzzled dogg
01-07-2011, 10:10 AM
Sick oppurtunity

Madly_Sane
01-07-2011, 10:29 AM
You should probably request a sticky...

Elwar
01-07-2011, 10:36 AM
Ron’s chief of staff Jeff Deist is looking for a smart, young economist, “thoroughly Austrian, and preferably with an advanced degree. More details here:
http://www.lewrockwell.com/blog/lewrw/archives/74776.html

This is not cool...Ron Paul should be supporting Americans in his hiring instead of shipping jobs to Austria.

RonPaulFanInGA
01-07-2011, 10:45 AM
This is not cool...Ron Paul should be supporting Americans in his hiring instead of shipping jobs to Austria.

You know who else was from Austria?

/neocons

Dreamofunity
01-07-2011, 11:11 AM
Hm, if only he'd wait a few years.

I suggest Daniel D'Amico.

t0rnado
01-07-2011, 11:32 AM
I nominate Bruno.

erowe1
01-07-2011, 11:57 AM
Why would he want a new economic adviser? Is he running for something?

Edit: Never mind. It's a committee staffer for the Domestic Monetary Policy Subcommittee. But still, that's great that he has the opportunity to hire that position. I'm sure he has connections already that can put him in touch with the right person. I know he's friends with Robert Higgs (among many other important Austrian economist PhDs), who would be able to recommend young scholars to him.

sailingaway
01-07-2011, 11:59 AM
Why would he want a new economic adviser? Is he running for something?

He is chair of the subcommittee on domestic monetary policy -- that is sufficient reason.

Of course, it wont HURT to have him around in case he runs for something, either.

brandon
01-07-2011, 12:02 PM
Read the article...it's only like 2 paragraphs. His chairmanship comes along with funding for one committee staffer.

Awesome opportunity though. I have someone in mind...gonna send them this.

JasonC
01-07-2011, 01:18 PM
Alex Merced....lol

angelatc
01-07-2011, 01:21 PM
smart, young economist I think that's illegal....

Teaser Rate
01-07-2011, 05:51 PM
Why is an advanced degree preferable if the main requirement is being thoroughly Austrian? It’s not like any school teaches an Austrian economics program anyways.

I’d suggest that an essay contest based on Human Action or Man, Economy and State would be a better way to find the best Austrian advocate rather than trying to find the best person who didn’t learn anything from their academic training.

I also don't see the benefit in trying to get someone with no Washington experience.

malkusm
01-07-2011, 05:54 PM
Hmm, I graduate with an MA from NYU in December, but I don't suppose it can wait that long.

georgiaboy
01-07-2011, 05:59 PM
this is so full of anti-Fed win.

Austrian Econ Disciple
01-07-2011, 06:19 PM
I second Alex Merced :p

Legend1104
01-07-2011, 06:50 PM
Wow that would be the dream job. Working in d.c. With Dr. Paul as your boss, and fighting the fed. I was considering getting a masters in economics but it makes me wish I was ready now.

JasonC
01-07-2011, 07:03 PM
VoteMerced! He will bring much needed style to the liberty movement. His Econ vids are so entertaining that he could bring the FED down by himself.

erowe1
01-08-2011, 11:06 AM
Why is an advanced degree preferable if the main requirement is being thoroughly Austrian? It’s not like any school teaches an Austrian economics program anyways.

I’d suggest that an essay contest based on Human Action or Man, Economy and State would be a better way to find the best Austrian advocate rather than trying to find the best person who didn’t learn anything from their academic training.

I also don't see the benefit in trying to get someone with no Washington experience.

If the essay is over 200 pages long, has over 1,000 footnotes from several hundred different scholarly sources, gets published by a university press, and gets cited in scholarly literature, then that would be a good indication of someone who's at the level of a PhD. If there's somebody who has written such an essay, but doesn't have an actual PhD, I think they should still apply. I bet RP would consider them.

Dreamofunity
01-08-2011, 11:56 AM
Just a FYI, Loyola University (Walter Block and Daniel D'Amico are professors there) is considering doing a masters program in Austrian Economics in the near future. Should be pretty cool.

George Mason University leans fairly Austrian, although more Public Choice/Virgina school influence.

Florida State University also has a few good Austrian leaning profressors. I'm currently taking a class that uses Rothbard's The Ethics of Liberty as the text book.