PDA

View Full Version : Another Outrage: Man attacked by kids on DC Subway, nobody helps

amy31416
01-06-2011, 09:38 PM
But they do film it, and laugh.

http://www.tbd.com/blogs/tbd-on-foot/2011/01/man-attacked-by-kids-at-l-enfant-metro----bystanders-watch-film-6880.html

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ebo1evnF4TQ&feature=player_embedded

On Sunday night, Allen Haywood was randomly and viciously attacked by two kids on the platform of the L’Enfant Plaza Metro station. Dozens of people witnessed it. Several people filmed it. Nobody helped.

Haywood was trying to transfer to the Yellow Line around 7:15 p.m. when the assault happened. He was headed home to Fort Totten after working out at Results on Capitol Hill, a gym bag slung over his shoulder and a book in his hands. As he read with his back to the station wall, “all of a sudden someone whacked me on the back of the head really hard,” he recalls.

(Continued at link above.)

You guys who are heading to DC for CPAC, be alert.

oyarde
01-06-2011, 09:41 PM
But they do film it, and laugh.

http://www.tbd.com/blogs/tbd-on-foot/2011/01/man-attacked-by-kids-at-l-enfant-metro----bystanders-watch-film-6880.html

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ebo1evnF4TQ&feature=player_embedded

(Continued at link above.)

You guys who are heading to DC for CPAC, be alert.

One of those little cans of pepper spray in his pocket would have been beneficial to him .

amy31416
01-06-2011, 09:44 PM
One of those little cans of pepper spray in his pocket would have been beneficial to him .

Hell, I wouldn't have blamed him for punching her square in the face...but yeah, pepper spray would have probably been the best route.

Nate-ForLiberty
01-06-2011, 09:51 PM
you want these kinds of things to stop? unban firearms in D.C.

Legend1104
01-06-2011, 09:55 PM
I guess it is just being in a bigger city and you are more detached but I cannot imagine that kind of stuff flying in a small city like what I live in.

amy31416
01-06-2011, 10:32 PM
For those of you who are unaware of this old newsbit:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bernhard_Goetz

http://blog.stanfordreview.org/wp-content/uploads/2010/02/goetz-cover.jpg

While transporting electronic equipment in 1981, Goetz was attacked in the Canal Street subway station by three youths in an attempted robbery.[8] They smashed him into a plate-glass door and threw him to the ground, causing permanent chest and knee injuries.[9] Goetz assisted an off-duty officer in arresting one of them, but was angered after his attacker spent less than half the time in the police station than Goetz himself; subsequently, he was further angered when his attacker was charged only with criminal mischief, for ripping his jacket.[5][9] Goetz subsequently applied for a permit to carry a handgun, on the basis of routinely carrying valuable equipment and large sums of cash, but his application was denied for insufficient need.[5] Bitter, he bought a .38-caliber Smith & Wesson revolver anyway during a trip to Florida.[5]
[edit]Incident

In the early afternoon of Saturday, December 22, 1984, four young men from The Bronx — Barry Allen, 19; Troy Canty, 19; James Ramseur, 18; and Darrell Cabey, 19 — boarded a downtown No. 2 express train apparently on a mission to steal money from video arcade machines in Manhattan.[10] When the train arrived at the 14th Street station in Manhattan, 15 to 20 other passengers remained with them in subway car 7657,[11][12] the seventh car of the ten-car train.[13][14]
At the 14th Street station, Goetz entered the car through the rearmost door, crossed the aisle and took a seat on the long bench across from the door. Canty was across the aisle from him, lying on the long bench just to the right of the door. Allen was seated to Canty's left, on the short seat on the other side of the door. Ramseur and Cabey were seated across from the door and to Goetz's right, on the short seat by the conductor's cab.[12][13] According to Goetz's statement to the police, approximately ten seconds later Canty asked him, "How are you?" Goetz responded, "Fine". According to Goetz, the four men gave signals to each other, and shortly thereafter Canty and Barry Allen rose from their seats and moved over to the left of Goetz, blocking Goetz off from the other passengers in the car. By Goetz's account, Canty then said, "Give me five dollars". Canty testified at the criminal trial that he was panhandling, and had only requested the money, not demanded it.[5] Goetz, however, took it as a threat, and said one of the boys made gestures that may have implied he had a weapon.[5] He rose and partly unzipped his jacket where the revolver was concealed, and plotted his "pattern of fire" for shooting them.[5] He asked Canty what he had said, and he repeated his statement. At this Goetz unzipping his jacket the rest of the way, drew the gun, and shot Canty, hitting him in the center of the body. He then turned to shoot Allen, who had tried to flee, hitting him in the back, and then shot Ramseur, wounding him in the chest and arm.[5] He then shot again, at Cabey, but may have missed. According to Goetz he then approached Cabey and shot him on the ground; however another witness disputed that Goetz shot Cabey a second time.[5] In any event, all four were wounded, but survived, though Cabey was permanently paralyzed from a bullet that severed his spinal cord.[5]

Matt Collins
01-06-2011, 10:35 PM
When did this happen? I was just there yesterday. YIKES!

amy31416
01-06-2011, 10:45 PM
When did this happen? I was just there yesterday. YIKES!

Just on Sunday--watch your back, and I'd suggest the pepper spray and traveling in groups.

I've used the DC subway plenty of times, and have rarely been uncomfortable, but it's always been during the day with regular commuters all around. This story just really reinforces that that "comfort" level I had was false. I guess I find it extra sickening because the guy who was attacked probably didn't fight back, partially because the main attacker was a girl--probably also because there was a huge crowd of punk-ass kids who potentially could have attacked him as well. And there's always the potential of someone pushing you out onto the tracks (uhh, that's my own little subway fear right there.)

Scary stuff. You guys be careful and alert out there.

Reason
01-07-2011, 02:12 AM
wtf is up with all these videos recently having that same watermark...

Brian4Liberty
01-08-2011, 02:21 PM
Where is Amber Lamps when you need her? ;)