PDA

View Full Version : spokeo.com

Michael Landon
01-06-2011, 08:18 PM
Here is a website where you can search for almost anyone and it reveals a bunch of information on the person you are searching:

www .spokeo. com

(delete the space between the www and . and . and com)

I was highly disturbed to find myself and my wife listed along with some of our info. Does anyone know how to get my info taken off such a website? I'm sure it's a database that groups together "public" information for each person.

I really want to get myself and my wife removed from this site.

- ML

BamaAla
01-06-2011, 08:35 PM
Holy cow!

From a facebook friend: "Remove yourself by searching your name/email find the URL of your page, then go to the bottom right corner of the page and click on the P...rivacy button to remove yourself. Copy and re-post so your FB friends are aware."

BlackTerrel
01-06-2011, 09:21 PM
I actually met this guy, Ray Chen, the founder of spokeo a few years ago at Stanford

http://www.linkedin.com/in/raycchen

The company is highly successful. They purchase their data from all kinds of companies that have your data - credit card companies, phone companies etc...Shady stuff.

Roxi
01-06-2011, 09:42 PM
There are tons of websites like this... for 2 bucks you can find out all kinds of info on people at peoplefinders.com It would take a long time and a lot of effort to get your info removed from all of them... For the record, my own info was wrong, and nothing recent, just like nearly every other site I have searched myself on... I wouldn't worry too much about it, sorry I couldn't be more help. :)

Michael Landon
01-06-2011, 09:47 PM
BamaAla - Thanks, it worked. My wife and I are currently no longer on that particular website.

There should be a thread where all these sites could be listed so we could remove our names from them one at a time.

- ML

Michael Landon
01-06-2011, 10:00 PM
I went on to delete my e-mail address and phone number and now the site is down. Are we crashing their server? :)

- ML

Dreamofunity
01-06-2011, 10:54 PM
Internal Server Error
The server encountered an internal error or misconfiguration and was unable to complete your request.

Please contact the server administrator, [no address given] and inform them of the time the error occurred, and anything you might have done that may have caused the error.

More information about this error may be available in the server error log

Michael Landon
01-06-2011, 10:58 PM
I just tried to delete one of my e-mail accounts from there and received the following message:

In order to prevent abuse, we must limit the frequency of privacy requests. Please try again tomorrow.
Government officials please use your @.gov email address for priority processing.

There must be a lot of us deleting our informations, eh? :)

- ML

Tinnuhana
01-06-2011, 11:51 PM
A coworker just told me about www.piple.com same sort of thing. Haven't tried it out yet.

__27__
01-06-2011, 11:55 PM
It's all public domain information. None of these sites have more than the most basic of information on me, why? Simple, because I don't go around spreading my personal info on social networking sites for the world to see. If you put it out there, don't get mad when others use it.

DamianTV
01-07-2011, 09:42 AM
Why do these asshole companies all think we all want to volunteer all of this private information to everyone on the fucking planet? Did they ask for my permission?

Jeremy
01-07-2011, 09:48 AM
I put in one of my email addresses and it came up with all fake info I must've put in somewhere. Bahahaha.

The creepiest part of this imo is showing images from photobucket account.

Madly_Sane
01-07-2011, 09:50 AM
I didn't think I would find mine... but I found my name and old address, that's all though

Elwar
01-07-2011, 10:12 AM
The salary it had for me was quite huge.

I also wanted to sign up just to find out what my hobbies are. I am quite curious.

__27__
01-07-2011, 10:17 AM
Why do these asshole companies all think we all want to volunteer all of this private information to everyone on the fucking planet? Did they ask for my permission?

They don't need your permission. It's all info you voluntarily put out there at one time or another. Do you use social networking like FB and Twitter? It's not all that surprising to find people who use social networking, etc. are the most exposed on these types of sites. They barely have more than my name, because I protect my information.

Dreamofunity
01-07-2011, 11:17 AM
I put in one of my email addresses and it came up with all fake info I must've put in somewhere. Bahahaha.

The creepiest part of this imo is showing images from photobucket account.

Make it private.

They show some old ass pictures of me from Facebook, couldn't they show some recent ones or something?

DirtMcGirt
01-07-2011, 11:41 AM
There is several of these creepy sites out there; peekyou . com is another one... There was barely any info about me but it was stomach turning to see relatives cross referenced w/ my name... I removed my name from several of the sites but there are so many out there... I believe there has to be a way to remove it completely from a majority of these sites w/ a phone call or letter b/c I'm sure if you type in Derek Jeter, Joe Biden, Kobe Bryant it will not spit out all there personal data.

DamianTV
01-07-2011, 04:34 PM
They don't need your permission. It's all info you voluntarily put out there at one time or another. Do you use social networking like FB and Twitter? It's not all that surprising to find people who use social networking, etc. are the most exposed on these types of sites. They barely have more than my name, because I protect my information.

Nope. Dont have a facebook acct and will never have one. You ought to see my HOSTS file. Every Facebook domain and alias domains such as fbcdn.net are redirected to 127.0.0.1 and I dont have any other social networking bullshit sites either. Name and address is one thing, but for the shit that people throw out, I almost swear that people are refusing their privacy and expect others to freely give theirs up so that everyone can get a discount (phony) on what ever shit is sold to them via advertisements.

Good job on protecting your info, just out of curiousity however, how big is your HOSTS file? Mine is around 8 megs...

MozoVote
01-07-2011, 05:43 PM
To stay off public information sites: Don't use a land line phone, register to vote, donate to a political candidate, own a car, own a home, declare bankruptcy, get married/divorced, have children, be found guilty of a crime, or be mentioned in a police report.