PDA

View Full Version : 2 Packages Release Smoke, Odor at Maryland Government Buildings

amy31416
01-06-2011, 01:50 PM
DEVELOPING: ANNAPOLIS, Md. -- Maryland officials say two packages have exploded in two government buildings in the state capital.
Maryland state police say there were no serious injuries. The explosions occurred Thursday afternoon at the Jeffrey Building on Francis Street in downtown Annapolis and another at the Maryland Department of Transportation building in Hanover.

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/us/2011/01/06/packages-explode-maryland-government-buildings/#ixzz1AHpGsBO3

t0rnado
01-06-2011, 01:52 PM
Probably packages of illegal firecrackers.

Inkblots
01-06-2011, 01:53 PM
No serious injuries? Thank goodness.

amy31416
01-06-2011, 01:53 PM
BREAKING NEWS
A federal official says two packages exploded Thursday at state government buildings in Anne Arundel County, Maryland, according to NBC News.
Both were apparently sent through the mail, an official says. In both cases, the packages emitted a small bang or flame.
An official says two people, including a mailroom employee, suffered minor injuries.

State police tell NBC News that one package was about the size of a book. When it was opened, it emitted smoke. One pf the packages was sent to the Jeffrey Building in downtown Annapolis. The other was sent to the Maryland Department of Transportation in Hanover.
The Annapolis Fire Department's bomb squad was investigating the State House incident and the state's bomb squad and FBI officials were on their way to the Jeffrey Building on Francis Street, where the incident took place, as of 12:51 p.m., according to a report on the baltimoresun.com.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/40950798/ns/us_news-security/

jdmyprez_deo_vindice
01-06-2011, 01:55 PM
don't look at me

amy31416
01-06-2011, 01:58 PM
don't look at me

It's about that 10c drink tax, isn't it?

Krugerrand
01-06-2011, 01:59 PM
I think all people should have to submit to strip searches when they go to the post office (or walk by a mail box) so that we can all be safe.

t0rnado
01-06-2011, 02:03 PM
I think all people should have to submit to strip searches when they go to the post office (or walk by a mail box) so that we can all be safe.

It should be a felony to use anything aside from saran wrap as packaging. Obama just wants more transparency.

Zippyjuan
01-06-2011, 02:08 PM
We willl have to perhaps wait for updated info, but it appears that "exploded" may be an over-statement.
http://www.wtop.com/?nid=25&sid=2224512

A law enforcement source tells CBS News the package in Annapolis was addressed to Maryland Gov. Martin O'Malley at the governor's mansion, but was taken to the state offices.

The packages created smoke and an odor when they were opened, and CBS reports one flamed up while the other fizzled. Maryland State Police spokesman Greg Shipley says the packages were small, describing them as about the size of a book.

Police say there were no serious injuries, although a spokesman for Annapolis Mayor Joshua J. Cohen says a mail room employee was hurt in the Annapolis incident. The extent of the employee's injury was not immediately known.

Valli6
01-06-2011, 02:15 PM
The packages created smoke and an odor when they were opened, and CBS reports one flamed up while the other fizzled.
Sounds like another one of those FBI-assisted "terrorist attacks" to me.

jmdrake
01-06-2011, 02:19 PM
We willl have to perhaps wait for updated info, but it appears that "exploded" may be an over-statement.
http://www.wtop.com/?nid=25&sid=2224512

Well how this ultimately gets spun depends a lot on who gets blamed.

If blamee = radical Muslim then Foxnews;Right Wing Talk radio = "It was a devastating bomb that could have killed scores" and MSNBC;CNN;NPR = "It was no big deal"

If blamee = right wing conservative then MSNBC;CNN;NPR = "It was a devastating bomb that could have killed scores" and = Foxnews;Right Wing Talk radio "It was no big deal"

Krugerrand
01-06-2011, 02:21 PM
It should be a felony to use anything aside from saran wrap as packaging. Obama just wants more transparency.

Felony??? why clog our courts? People who mail packages in cardboard boxes should simply be deemed a terrorist by Executive Order and should be shot on the spot. Only then will I feel safe.

Zippyjuan
01-06-2011, 03:05 PM
Latest report says packages did not explode and the injury was a couple burned fingers.

JoshLowry
01-06-2011, 03:06 PM
Too bad they don't cover every bomb that the US drops on human beings.

Travlyr
01-06-2011, 03:13 PM
Too bad they don't cover every bomb that the US drops on human beings.
If only they would.

oyarde
01-06-2011, 03:16 PM

Alright , you guys help me out . The Dept. of Transportation ? wth ?

oyarde
01-06-2011, 03:18 PM
Latest report says packages did not explode and the injury was a couple burned fingers.

No dead blackbirds ? : )

fisharmor
01-06-2011, 03:19 PM
No serious injuries? Thank goodness.

I think it's been apparent for a while that people don't actually need to be harmed for the police state to continue its build-up.

Probably.
Genuine American terrorist attacks tend to destroy most of an eight story building. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oklahoma_City_bombing)
Interesting that the government can't even terrorize its own citizens right.

amy31416
01-06-2011, 03:25 PM
Thanks for the updated title.

oyarde
01-06-2011, 03:48 PM
I want a profile on whoever was sitting around dreaming up a smoke / stink bomb package for the Maryland dept of transportation ....

jdmyprez_deo_vindice
01-06-2011, 04:01 PM
Local news is reporting a new package has been found in an government building in Baltimore City.

HOLLYWOOD
01-06-2011, 04:24 PM
ODOR Packages... we better get Janet Napolitano's STANK POLICE formed immediately!
Let me stretch this a bit, maybe the FEDS can impose a CRV via ATM/CC for all packages delivery... yeah, that's the ticket! More tracking/security and cash for government!

OK, Queue the "CRV 4 Government" commercials now... Tracking 4 Safety and donating for a good cause! Now where have I seen...
http://cdn.complex.com/blogs/wp-content/uploads/2009/10/Hammer_Cash4gold.jpg

PS: Somebody on Comedy Central needs to do a sleazy parody commercial.

Zippyjuan
01-06-2011, 06:25 PM
Two "suspicious" new packages. First was laptop batteries and second was a toner cartridge. Not disguised as those items- but those actual items.
http://enews.earthlink.net/article/us?guid=20110106/4273ed48-b263-444c-ab76-8a9e8d5cecca

The third suspicious package was discovered about 3:45 p.m. at the Maryland Department of Health and Mental Hygiene headquarters in Baltimore, after its mailroom had been quarantined.

David Paulson, a health department spokesman, said a package matched the description of the other two. It was later found to be computer laptop batteries.

The fourth package was found at a Baltimore courthouse and was an ink cartridge.

Krugerrand
01-07-2011, 07:46 AM
Alright , you guys help me out . The Dept. of Transportation ? wth ?

You just gave me a great idea ... Conspiracy Clue! Instead of Professor Plum in the Library with the Revolver, it could be Bilderbergs in Building 7 with nanothermite.

I suggest because I think it would be fun. jmdrake and dannno are gradually winning me over on 9/11.

amy31416
01-07-2011, 09:24 AM
Two "suspicious" new packages. First was laptop batteries and second was a toner cartridge. Not disguised as those items- but those actual items.
http://enews.earthlink.net/article/us?guid=20110106/4273ed48-b263-444c-ab76-8a9e8d5cecca

You think that's bad? My hometown lost their shit and called the FBI over a bag o' poop:

http://www.nypress.com/article-10520-everyone-poops-but-not-everyone-gets-arrested-for-it.html

TROY MUSIL WENT out drinking, ate lunch the next afternoon and shat his pants.
Sure, there are finer points to the story, details that mitigate his culpability—he was at an unfamiliar house, the toilet was broken, he tried to hold it—but in this case, the mitigating factors don't count for much. The biological problems were only the beginning. It's Musil's behavior after the accident that caught the attention of authorities.
The trouble started the last Wednesday of May in my hometown of Erie, PA. Musil, an 18-year-old construction worker, had stopped by a friend's house on his lunch break. After feeling sick all day, he decided to try and put down a sandwich because he thought he was better. He wasn't. Ten minutes after eating, Musil found himself in a predicament everyone's been in at least once. Hand clutching the seat of his pants, he was making a mad dash for the first-floor bathroom. The toilet's water was running, so Musil jiggled the handle. Broken. Musil made a last-ditch sprint to the second-floor bathroom, arriving a few seconds too late. Nature had already paid him a visit.
His friend brought him a clean pair of shorts and a trash bag, and Musil quickly packed the freshly caked clothes. He had to figure out a way to get rid of his mess quickly, as he was soon expected back at work. Listen to Musil's account of the story, and it's impossible not to wonder how any of us would respond in his situation. Would you throw a sack of your own poop in somebody else's kitchen garbage can? Doubtful—that's just wrong. Musil thought so too. So he grabbed the plastic sack and heaved it into his maroon Honda Accord. It was time to put his dirty little secret to rest.
He could have taken it to a dumpster. He should have taken it to a dumpster. Instead, he chucked the bag over a barbed-wire fence, effectively turning an embarrassing situation into a criminal undertaking. Thinking he'd seen the end of it, Musil drove off. That was before he learned a fateful lesson: If you're going to toss your squishy, stained shorts over a barbed-wire fence, you need to remove everything from the pockets first. Musil says he had forgotten about his friend's house keys (or a picture that had fallen from a keychain, according to a differing account relayed by police) and his friend wanted them back. A day after disposing of his forensic evidence, the teenager returned to scale the fence's side.
A man cutting grass on the property spotted Musil and called the police. Turns out the fence protects the Sigsbee Reservoir, a 33-million-gallon reservoir that serves some 30,000 Erie residents. Cops converged and found the bag with no sign of who left it. Fortunately for police, neighbors in the area were able to provide a description of Musil's getaway car. With its mangled front end and bumper held up by blue duct tape, it was hardly inconspicuous. Police confronted Musil at his construction site that morning and threw him in the backseat of a cruiser.
What thoughts were racing through Musil's mind as he was cuffed and taken downtown? He'd littered; this much he knew. What he didn't know was that in the morning, police had cordoned off an entire section of the city and re-routed traffic. They'd called in the hazardous-waste unit, a bomb squad, even the FBI. Unsure of what was going on, residents worried their water supply was being poisoned by a bio-terrorist. My own family in Erie told me about the madness, which included a phone call from my aunt to my grandmother, who was advised not to drink the potentially toxic water.
Erie's last bona fide terror scare came in the fall of 2001. With anthrax hysteria at its height, someone sent an envelope of white powder to Mercyhurst College. To most outsiders, it would seem odd that Middle Eastern terrorists would attack a small Catholic school in Erie. The blue-collar town by the lake offers very little in the way of government, defense or economic targets.
But residents knew that Erie offered something of symbolic value to those wishing to terrorize the United States. Erie is home to the man calling the shots against would-be bombers, saboteurs and hijackers everywhere: Dept. of Homeland Security Director Tom Ridge. Perhaps the terrorists had given up on Washington, some residents hypothesized, and were now targeting Ridge's hometown.
When investigators in Musil's case probed the bag's contents, they found exactly what they were told they would. It only contained Troy's "soiled" shorts, as the media politely described them. Police let Musil walk away on the relatively minor charge of "defiant trespassing," and he returned to work, thinking all was well.
It wasn't. His boss fired him on the spot.
"He told me he didn't want this kind of attention," Musil later explained in a telephone conversation. That night, he was the lead story on every broadcast news station. By the next morning, Musil was the whipping boy for Erie talk radio. The Erie Times-News put him on the front page. Bloggers had a field day. It seemed Musil had entered local lore as the "Pennsylvania Pants Pooper."
At first, the young man took it all in stride, appearing jovial on local news broadcasts. For $100 or so in expected fines, he'd walked away with the story of his life. Then he went in front of Judge Dominick DiPaolo. The judge didn't find Musil's antics as amusing as the local press did. In late June, a little less than a month after the incident, DiPaolo slapped Musil with a $5000 penalty.
A city on a cash-strapped budget shouldn't have to pay for the excessive manpower needed to investigate an accidental poop, DiPaolo reasoned. The burden should be carried by the 18-year-old guilty party.
The media had more fun with the story. "Teen in Deep Doo-Doo for Soiling Reservoir," the Toronto Sun reported. Keith Olbermann's "Countdown" named him a "top three newsmaker" in June. If Musil didn't come up with $500 a month for the next 10 months, he was going to jail.
Broke and unemployed, Troy Musil was in a world of shit.
"A TV PRODUCER In Erie who was covering the story sent me the news link," recalls David Praeger, a 27-year-old webmaster who lives in a tidy garden apartment in Park Slope.
"I laughed and wrote about it—'Ha ha, poor guy,'" Praeger recalls. "Then, I found out they were fining him $5000."

coastie
01-07-2011, 10:32 AM
It's about that 10c drink tax, isn't it?

Worse, let us do some reading between the lines here:

One of the parcels was addressed to Gov. Martin O'Malley, who said the mailing meant for him complained about highway signs that urge motorists to report suspicious activity.

The package contained a message about the state's terrorism tip line, which is widely shown on overhead highway signs that read, "Report Suspicious Activity" and give an 800 number

And it ends with the Governor spewing this gem:

"I think it just underscores how whether it's the mail or whether it's the subway system or an airline, in this age ... you just have to be very, very vigilant because our openness and the freedom with which we communicate and with which we travel can be used as weapons against us," he said.

Who is "us", Governor? Stay tuned for this to be spun into miltia-tea party-angry-white-paranoid-anti-Obama group did it. Now, anyone questioning Big Sis will be suspect, and their rights are out the door because of it.

Is that a Ron Paul sticker on your car, sir? I'm gonna have you step out of the car please.

Madly_Sane
01-07-2011, 10:34 AM
OH! It's a TERRORIST! :rolleyes:

amy31416
01-07-2011, 10:38 AM
Worse, let us do some reading between the lines here:

And it ends with the Governor spewing this gem:

Who is "us", Governor? Stay tuned for this to be spun into miltia-tea party-angry-white-paranoid-anti-Obama group did it. Now, anyone questioning Big Sis will be suspect, and their rights are out the door because of it.

Is that a Ron Paul sticker on your car, sir? I'm gonna have you step out of the car please.

Wait...so it was intentional? Didn't someone else post that it was ink toner and laptop batteries that started "smoking?"

pcosmar
01-07-2011, 10:45 AM
Smoke and odor in a government office?

I'm surprised they noticed. With the stinking laws and smokescreen politics, seems it would go unnoticed.

:(

oyarde
01-07-2011, 03:09 PM
Smoke and odor in a government office?

I'm surprised they noticed. With the stinking laws and smokescreen politics, seems it would go unnoticed.

:(

LOL at odor in a govt office .

Anti Federalist
01-07-2011, 09:44 PM
I was going to post a Baltimore Sun article on this, only to show the "over the top" reaction.

People dropped their fucking mud over this.

It won't take much, when the time comes, that's for sure.

Anti Federalist
01-10-2011, 05:48 PM
Well, talk about people dropping their mud.

Notice how fast the "smoke bomb terrorist" got dropped off the front page and into the memory hole.

torchbearer
01-10-2011, 05:53 PM

ink cartridge and toner cartridge are actually 2 different things. work different, look different.