PDA

View Full Version : Governor killed by bodyguard

wildfirepower
01-05-2011, 07:46 AM
The influential governor of Pakistan's Punjab province, Salman Taseer, has died after being shot by one of his bodyguards in the capital, Islamabad.

Mr Taseer, a senior member of the Pakistan People's Party, was shot when getting into his car at a market.

Interior Minister Rehman Malik said the guard had told police that he killed Mr Taseer because of the governor's opposition to Pakistan's blasphemy law.

Many were angered by his defence of a Christian woman sentenced to death.

Prime Minister Yousuf Raza Gilani declared three days of national mourning and ordered flags lowered to half-mast. He also ordered an immediate inquiry into Mr Taseer's killing and appealed for calm.

PPP supporters wept and shouted in anger as the governor's coffin was put into an ambulance and driven away from a hospital in Islamabad.

Dozens took to the streets in Punjab's capital, Lahore, burning tyres and blocking traffic. There were also protests in the central city of Multan.

US Secretary of State Hillary Clinton condemned the assassination, saying Mr Taseer's death was "a great loss".

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-south-asia-12111831

Promontorium
01-05-2011, 03:33 PM
All the major religious groups in Pakistan are celebrating his murder.

He promoted not executing people for nonsensical interpretations of "blasphemy".

Considering Pakistan is our "ally". Considering how insane people are here on RPF, I think this is an exceptionally important story. I've grown absolutely sick of all these people on RPF who have taken the idea that perhaps America isn't "hated for our freedoms" and ran with it into bat shit insanity that Al Qaeda never existed, all the Middle East is a fucking wonderland that has no interest in harming anyone ever. Meanwhile our own ally state Pakistan celebrates murdering their own elected governor for saying perhaps the Taliban shouldn't be taking over, perhaps people shouldn't be executed by the state because someone heard them swear. Their own governor was literally murdered for proposing more freedom, and the nation is applauding it. But no, no, they're the victims. All terrorism is a lie by America to make them look bad.

specsaregood
01-05-2011, 03:37 PM
All the major religious groups in Pakistan are celebrating his murder.

He promoted not executing people for nonsensical interpretations of "blasphemy".

Considering Pakistan is our "ally". Considering how insane people are here on RPF, I think this is an exceptionally important story. I've grown absolutely sick of all these people on RPF who have taken the idea that perhaps America isn't "hated for our freedoms" and ran with it into bat shit insanity that Al Qaeda never existed, all the Middle East is a fucking wonderland that has no interest in harming anyone ever. Meanwhile our own ally state Pakistan celebrates murdering their own elected governor for saying perhaps the Taliban shouldn't be taking over, perhaps people shouldn't be executed by the state because someone heard them swear. Their own governor was literally murdered for proposing more freedom, and the nation is applauding it. But no, no, they're the victims. All terrorism is a lie by America to make them look bad.

I'm pretty sure you misunderstand the position of most of the people here on rpfs. Oh and clearly, this could have all been avoided if we had just bombed more pakistanis with our drones.

oyarde
01-05-2011, 05:39 PM
Pakistan continues to slide and may just collapse . Major economic problems , the political factions , the military etc ., all have unique problems that are not getting better .

silverhandorder
01-05-2011, 06:07 PM
LOL OP get a fucking grip. Even if other people hate America they will not be motivated to go after US. The reason they want to go after US is because we are backing their dictators.

You don't see anyone trying to blow up planes ins Switzerland or France and they actually have populations that passed anti Muslim laws.

Promontorium
01-10-2011, 06:47 AM
I'm pretty sure you misunderstand the position of most of the people here on rpfs. Oh and clearly, this could have all been avoided if we had just bombed more pakistanis with our drones.

No, I think I was quite specific, that it is a minority of Al Qaeda deniers on RPF. If it were a majority, I would leave this website.

While I have merely 10% the postcount you do, I find it odd you so quickly dismiss someone with 1,000 posts as simply misunderstanding. I think at this point, if I don't have the general lay of the land, I never will. But if you think there aren't Al Qaeda deniers on here claiming terrorism doesn't exist except under the American flag, I really wish I could have your insulated experience.

As for the drone comment, it exposes your own hypocrisy, you clearly don't know me, or anything I've written, and you've pathetically tried to paint me as some pro-murder nut based on nothing but your own ignorance to my point and refusal to even consider it.