PDA

View Full Version : Navy Captain Fired Over Youtube Video

Kludge
01-05-2011, 02:05 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=srbLyuMgDe8

Story's been covered pretty heavily in MSM. Original (edited for explicit content) video above, and here is an article on it: http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/U/US_LEWD_NAVY_VIDEO_COMMANDER?SITE=RIPAW&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT

Not my place to talk, but it's encouraging to see humor and humanity in military officers. .... Of course, he was sacked for it..............

libertarian4321
01-05-2011, 03:02 AM
[QUOTE]
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=srbLyuMgDe8

Story's been covered pretty heavily in MSM. Original (edited for explicit content) video above, and here is an article on it: http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/U/US_LEWD_NAVY_VIDEO_COMMANDER?SITE=RIPAW&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT
[QUOTE]
If he was a junior officer, he'd have probably just been given a warning, but his guy is very senior (a Navy Captain, equivalent to an Army full Colonel), and this kind of stuff is not really appropriate.

You can do things as a 2LT or 1LT that you can't do as a Major, let alone a Colonel. Its hard to explain to non-military folks, but you just can't act the same when you are a 45+ year old senior officer as you did when you are a 22-year old wet behind the ears LT. While this stuff was more lame than offensive imho, he should have known better than to tape it and broadcast it to the troops (er, sailors).

If this had stayed on board or even just within the Navy, I'm pretty sure he would have been treated less harshly, but once it got into the general public, they were going to make an example of him.

Promontorium
01-05-2011, 05:56 AM
I first found out about YouTube when some shipmates of mine put a funny video up, and were subsequently kicked out of the Navy. I stood as armed security while another sailor was stripped of rank for posting a ship made music video on YouTube.

Neither of those videos were offensive to anyone.

The Navy cares more about appearance than substance. They will immediately throw any sailor under the bus if one bit of bad publicity is even possible. Officers are in many ways much more protected from this, given special priviliges that negate many of these issues, however Captains are fired all the time for the littlest shit, because 1 Captain doing something stupid is like hundreds or thousands of sailors doing the same thing.

They have bred the military they desire. The majority of senior enlisted and officers are desk jockeys with no respect for warriors, no respect for individual enterprise, or innovation, but possessing perfect uniforms. Aside from the several nearly detached Navy jobs that almost never coincide with the majority of the rest of the Navy (SEALS, SeaBees, Corpsmen, MAs, EOD, who are all involved in the wars) the Navy functions primarily as a large scale naval peace-corps/diplomat tool. Ships are seen as income to foreign nations, and are thus usually positively welcomed.

All why I am a veteran after 1 enlistment. I was trained for 1 1/2 years in the world's most advanced methods of technological warfare, I was tested not in looking pretty, but in being able to tell people where and how to kill the enemy under fear of death. And then I spent 4 1/2 years waiting for this training to be relevant while listening to endless bullshit from cowards with shinny pins. I got 1 shot at proving at least some of my training wasn't wasted, and I watched as much higher paid "professionals" crumbled like cookies under the pressure, and I found their failures were inevitably applied in that ancient wisdom "shit rolls downhill" and so what was my finest hour is remembered only as the day the XO tried to bring me up on charges.

FTN. From the President down to the poor bastard in high school who's made a promise. My only regret, is that I can't blame the few enough, for how they've screwed over so many. I would expect nothing less from them on this day, than to just destroy a man's career, not because of what he did years ago, but because today it's in the press.

We all know the real problem here. We have about 1,000 times more than we need to defend the nation. We should have nothing more than national defense, and small elite forces.

Aratus
01-05-2011, 12:09 PM
methinks the videos are similar to many of the routines Howard Stern
has been known to put on the airwaves? i can truly see how the Navy
has to have a conduct code and an honor code and i am not at all
surprised to hear that they want him to go into civilian life post haste,
however in the very back of my mind are the news reports about the
2000+ people on FaceBook who liked him! so is he to enter politics?

Todd
01-05-2011, 12:29 PM
This crap goes on ship board all the time. Much much worse twenty years ago. Meh.

oyarde
01-05-2011, 01:42 PM
He should have known better ....

Anti Federalist
01-05-2011, 03:08 PM
Never Again Volunteer Yourself.

We the Willing
Led by the Unknowing
Are doing the Impossible
For the Ungrateful.

We have done So Much
With So Little
For So Long
We are now Qualified
To do Anything
With Nothing.

I first found out about YouTube when some shipmates of mine put a funny video up, and were subsequently kicked out of the Navy. I stood as armed security while another sailor was stripped of rank for posting a ship made music video on YouTube.

The Navy cares more about appearance than substance. They will immediately throw any sailor under the bus if one bit of bad publicity is even possible. Officers are in many ways much more protected from this, given special priviliges that negate many of these issues, however Captains are fired all the time for the littlest shit, because 1 Captain doing something stupid is like hundreds or thousands of sailors doing the same thing.

They have bred the military they desire. The majority of senior enlisted and officers are desk jockeys with no respect for warriors, no respect for individual enterprise, or innovation, but possessing perfect uniforms. Aside from the several nearly detached Navy jobs that almost never coincide with the majority of the rest of the Navy (SEALS, SeaBees, Corpsmen, MAs, EOD, who are all involved in the wars) the Navy functions primarily as a large scale naval peace-corps/diplomat tool. Ships are seen as income to foreign nations, and are thus usually positively welcomed.

All why I am a veteran after 1 enlistment. I was trained for 1 1/2 years in the world's most advanced methods of technological warfare, I was tested not in looking pretty, but in being able to tell people where and how to kill the enemy under fear of death. And then I spent 4 1/2 years waiting for this training to be relevant while listening to endless bullshit from cowards with shinny pins. I got 1 shot at proving at least some of my training wasn't wasted, and I watched as much higher paid "professionals" crumbled like cookies under the pressure, and I found their failures were inevitably applied in that ancient wisdom "shit rolls downhill" and so what was my finest hour is remembered only as the day the XO tried to bring me up on charges.

FTN. From the President down to the poor bastard in high school who's made a promise. My only regret, is that I can't blame the few enough, for how they've screwed over so many. I would expect nothing less from them on this day, than to just destroy a man's career, not because of what he did years ago, but because today it's in the press.

We all know the real problem here. We have about 1,000 times more than we need to defend the nation. We should have nothing more than national defense, and small elite forces.

oyarde
01-05-2011, 03:21 PM

What kind of charges Promo ? Something minor ?

LibForestPaul
01-05-2011, 03:36 PM
Ok, personable, well dressed, and funny, Does he have any libertarian leanings, any...