PDA

View Full Version : What Happened to Reagan

BULBASAUR!
01-04-2011, 04:58 PM
I've seen all kinds of videos of Ronald Reagan rallying for smaller government and, praising Barry Goldwater and Ron Paul. He talked the talk much more convincingly than any of the neo-cons we're dealing with now. His "Time for Choosing Speech" sounds damn near libertarian and as well as his inaugural speech in 1981. He was also on record for being sympathetic to libertarianism. But, when he got into office he did a complete 180 and turned into a complete fiscally irresponsible statist. What happened? Did he start "playing ball" after he almost got killed?

acptulsa
01-04-2011, 05:09 PM
Did you know Chapman was a mentally unbalanced personal friend of Neil Bush? In fact, I don't think anyone but the youngest Bush brother would even spend time with him...

sevin
01-04-2011, 05:09 PM
I've seen all kinds of videos of Ronald Reagan rallying for smaller government and, praising Barry Goldwater and Ron Paul. He talked the talk much more convincingly than any of the neo-cons we're dealing with now. His "Time for Choosing Speech" sounds damn near libertarian and as well as his inaugural speech in 1981. He was also on record for being sympathetic to libertarianism. But, when he got into office he did a complete 180 and turned into a complete fiscally irresponsible statist. What happened? Did he start "playing ball" after he almost got killed?

Isn't this pretty much what's happened with every president for the last 50 years? They make promises to get elected then renege on them. Either that or he was intimidated by the mysterious powers that be, but who knows?

acptulsa
01-04-2011, 05:10 PM
Isn't this pretty much what's happened with every president for the last 50 years? They make promises to get elected then renege on them. Either that or he was intimidated by the mysterious powers that be, but who knows?

I like the 'both' theory, myself. C: All of the above.

Sola_Fide
01-04-2011, 05:16 PM
Reagan's famous interview with Reason magazine (in 1980 I think) is a good starting point to understand Reagan's differences with Libertarianism. I learned a lot about him from that.

Brett85
01-04-2011, 05:54 PM
He had a Democrat Congress. Even if Ron Paul were President, he wouldn't be able to cut spending and reduce the size of government to a significant extent with the Democrats blocking him.

MelissaWV
01-04-2011, 05:56 PM
He had a Democrat Congress. Even if Ron Paul were President, he wouldn't be able to cut spending and reduce the size of government to a significant extent with the Democrats blocking him.

No, but if you really have "Dr. No" in the White House, you can attempt to veto most things that cross your desk and make it really slow and tiresome to get anything passed.

acptulsa
01-04-2011, 05:57 PM

Yeah, yeah. Kinda hard to cut spending when you want the armed forces to go play in Grenada and Panama, too. Not to mention making your buddies happy spending billions on fifty year old battlewagons and obsolete-out-of-the-box B-1 bombers as well.

robert68
01-04-2011, 06:18 PM
A politician’s record reveals their true position. As Governor of California he signed enormous tax increases and supported the drug war. He also said on foreign policy, among other things, that Vietnam should be made into a parking lot. Senator Barry Goldwater, btw, opposed the Kennedy income tax cut.