PDA

View Full Version : Ron Paul to talk of the Gold Standard on Colbert tonight

ronpaulhawaii
01-04-2011, 02:12 PM
Just caught his tweet

RepRonPaul Ron Paul
scheduled to talk about the gold standard with Stephen Colbert tonight... should be interesting!
4 minutes ago Favorite Undo Retweet Reply

http://twitter.com/#!/RepRonPaul

hazek
01-04-2011, 02:16 PM
I already see how through language he's going to made look like a old crazy guy who just wants to have a shiny gold cow.

I think it's a bad idea to go on that show.

specsaregood
01-04-2011, 02:24 PM
I already see how through language he's going to made look like a old crazy guy who just wants to have a shiny gold cow.
I think it's a bad idea to go on that show.

Do you recall his last time on that show?

JK/SEA
01-04-2011, 02:33 PM
Does Colbert need the ratings that badly?..

hazek
01-04-2011, 02:35 PM
I don't. I just don't like Colbert's humor because it sometimes gets too blurry between what suppose to be funny and what real.

jrskblx125
01-04-2011, 02:39 PM
Colbert was fair last time. I actually enjoyed it. I think if dr paul can present himself and his knowledge properly itll be fine. People are starting to grasp the idea of fiat currency holding no value.

VBRonPaulFan
01-04-2011, 02:45 PM
here is a link to what i believe was the last interview for those who haven't seen it - it was actually quite good!

http://video.yahoo.com/watch/749248/3247731

edit: here's another, more recent one
http://www.colbertnation.com/the-colbert-report-videos/180285/september-04-2008/ron-paul

TheeJoeGlass
01-04-2011, 04:55 PM
Things have changed since 2008. Colbert will not be kind to Ron tonight.

Legend1104
01-04-2011, 08:21 PM
What time is it on? Tube?

RileyE104
01-04-2011, 08:29 PM
what time will this be on??

BenIsForRon
01-04-2011, 08:34 PM
11:30, and much later for internet viewers

Kregisen
01-04-2011, 08:37 PM
What station is Colbert on? And is 11:30 eastern time?

Golding
01-04-2011, 08:38 PM
Things have changed since 2008. Colbert will not be kind to Ron tonight.Agreed, but Ron Paul is wiley enough that I could see him being unkind in return. Heading forward with the message is going to continue to be a good thing.

BenIsForRon
Comedy Central man! Get with the times!

CaseyJones
comedy central

HazyHusky420
01-04-2011, 08:39 PM
I miss the old Colbert, the one that roasted Bush and mocked the establishment. Sadly the same goes for alot of people. I remember being a huge Olbermann fan when Bush was president.

Kregisen
01-04-2011, 08:39 PM
Comedy Central man! Get with the times!

Haha I don't watch much tv, Colbert is funny though.

Epic
01-04-2011, 08:46 PM
I sense a trap here... now that Ron Paul is an ideological threat to the leftist establishment, they might turn on him a la Maddow vs. Rand Paul.

Also, Ron Paul's views on monetary policy can be very nuanced (he is for competing currencies, not a government-administered gold-standard).

BenIsForRon
01-04-2011, 08:48 PM
The interview could go either way, depending on what Colbert wants to talk about.

Nate-ForLiberty
01-04-2011, 09:02 PM
I sense a trap here... now that Ron Paul is an ideological threat to the leftist establishment, they might turn on him a la Maddow vs. Rand Paul.

Also, Ron Paul's views on monetary policy can be very nuanced (he is for competing currencies, not a government-administered gold-standard).

no trap. Colbert has always treated Ron Paul with respect in his interviews. I's be seriously surprised if this interview hurt D. Paul.

CaseyJones
01-04-2011, 09:07 PM
Geoffrey Canada

President, Harlem Children's Zone

is the listed guest on the comedy central page for colbert tonight
I do not think ron is the sitdown interview

http://www.colbertnation.com/home

talkingpointes
01-04-2011, 09:26 PM
Ohh noes "better know your congressman" .... That would be a mash-up interview, not usually flattering.

ctiger2
01-04-2011, 09:55 PM
Internet Link: http://tvpc.com/Channel.php?ChannelID=2702

Wren
01-04-2011, 09:56 PM
Is it really going to be a mash up interview? The last recent mash up was a hit piece that ridiculed RP's stance on raw milk. I'm sad to know that it won't be a full interview, but either way, I'm expecting this one to be a hit piece as well.

It would've been awesome if Jon Stewart had invited Ron instead, he's very fair and seems to have a great respect for RP.

trey4sports
01-04-2011, 10:42 PM
Ehhh not really a hit piece, don't be so sensitive

Colbert is just running his dopey show

EDIT: Ron's going to be on in a minute so we'll see how it shakes out

KramerDSP
01-04-2011, 10:44 PM
Both a mash-up AND a walk in interview? Wow. I think that shows respect. Paul has a chance to defend his positions.

Legend1104
01-04-2011, 10:44 PM
On next. Not too bad so far.

Bruno
01-04-2011, 10:46 PM
Now!

specsaregood
01-04-2011, 10:47 PM
Dr. Paul just ignored the jokes and was pushing his points....

Uriel999
01-04-2011, 10:50 PM
Ron Paul just destroyed that guy!

trey4sports
01-04-2011, 10:50 PM
not a hit piece at all

Bruno
01-04-2011, 10:51 PM
Would u rather have a million dollars or my gold ring. WTF?

Wren
01-04-2011, 10:51 PM
David Leonhardt: "The fed has not destroyed the value of our currency."

I bust my gut laughing..and no, not ENTIRELY a hit piece

parocks
01-04-2011, 10:52 PM
Excellent

ApathyCuredRP
not a hit piece at all

I would of agreed, then he made the simple point of the dollar using 98% of its purchasing power since early 1900's ... which is the definition of inflation. Wasn't a hit piece, but he definitely made the guy look like a fool.

Immortal Technique
Paul smashed that guy

thrillhouse
Very good, I declare victory for Dr. Paul, though it did seem that they edited out some of his explanation.

Legend1104
01-04-2011, 10:53 PM
That was a great interview. I actually believe he supported dr. Paul's views.

KramerDSP
01-04-2011, 10:53 PM
That, although far too short, was AWESOME. 2007 Ron Paul would not have been nearly as good tonight.

Bman
01-04-2011, 10:54 PM
Ron did well.

+ rep to Ron.

Wren
01-04-2011, 10:56 PM
I was a bit upset though when Colbert introduced Ron Paul's face in the first segment, there was a deafening silence and absolutely no one cheered. Seemed like no one in the crowd had even heard of him.

MaxPower
01-04-2011, 10:57 PM
Unfortunately, Colbert's schtick prior to Ron Paul's appearance probably put a lot of the crowd in the "Gold-standard-is-nutty-and-Ron-Paul-is-a-kook" mindset before the interview even started.

specsaregood
01-04-2011, 10:57 PM
Would u rather have a million dollars or my gold ring. WTF?

Gotta admit, Dr. Paul handled that perfectly. With a response that went straight to the heart of the matter; and simple enough that even the potheads at home watching would understand.

CUnknown
01-04-2011, 10:58 PM
It was definitely a hit piece.. I don't think it was as successful as he would have liked though.

Who was that guy who he brought out to argue against Dr. Paul? He was a moron.. he doesn't deserve to even be in the same room as Dr. Paul's image on the monitors. It was a rediculous segment. Let him debate someone worthy, if there is anyone. I didn't like it.

Wren
01-04-2011, 10:58 PM
Unfortunately, Colbert's schtick prior to Ron Paul's appearance probably put a lot of the crowd in the "Gold-standard-is-nutty-and-Ron-Paul-is-a-kook" mindset before the interview even started.

Yup, this. ^

A semi-hit piece, but i still think it went well

trey4sports
01-04-2011, 10:59 PM
I would of agreed, then he made the simple point of the dollar using 98% of its purchasing power since early 1900's ... which is the definition of inflation. Wasn't a hit piece, but he definitely made the guy look like a fool.

ahaha

+ Rep for witty response

CUnknown
01-04-2011, 10:59 PM
I was a bit upset though when Colbert introduced Ron Paul's face in the first segment, there was a deafening silence and absolutely no one cheered. Seemed like no one in the crowd had even heard of him.

I know, the whole thing pissed me off. Show some respect you Colbert freaks!

Okay... need to calm down now... breathe... :)

HazyHusky420
01-04-2011, 11:00 PM
Didn't watch Colbert. Rather see it pirated on YouTube than sellout Colbert more ratings.

Anyways, I remember Colbert being a parody of Turd O'Reilly, so if he still is a parody making Paul look nutty would actually be realistic because we all know how Billo treats libertarians.

trey4sports
01-04-2011, 11:02 PM
again, you have to understand that Colbert runs a dopey show, and he plays more of a cartoon character than anything else so there was no way we were going to get a "serious" interview

Sentient Void
01-04-2011, 11:04 PM
Yeah, considering how little time RP had to explain his position, he did well with it. I do wish he would have pointed out how CPI inflation numbers are complete BS - since they don't take into account things like food, energy, oil and gold, and especially recently have more heavily weighted housing (which prices are only dropping due to the massive correction from the bubble trying to happen) into the CPI numbers. They're completely fluffed. Also how the 'economist' said, 'prices arent rising!' - uhhhh... when was the last time he got gas? Went to the grocery store to buy food? Looked at the value of gold?

As for his analogy 'Which would you rather have, 1 million dollars or my gold ring'? RIDICULOUS! RP shut him down on that one, and pretty much in general. Glad he didn't engage SC's jokes and stuck with the issues, though.

messana
01-04-2011, 11:04 PM
Sounds like a hit piece on Colbert than on Paul.

Wren
01-04-2011, 11:05 PM
Or they COULD have heard about him but were probably thinking "lol republican"

Bman
01-04-2011, 11:09 PM

He made the guy look like a liar and someone who was trying to control your perception. By the end of the video Colbert's last glance to Ron Paul was certainly saying "Well played old timer, well played." At the least that's how I like to imagine it.

dannno
01-04-2011, 11:16 PM
Too early for a tube request?

ApathyCuredRP
01-04-2011, 11:16 PM
He made the guy look like a liar and someone who was trying to control your perception. By the end of the video Colbert's last glance to Ron Paul was certainly saying "Well played old timer, well played." At the least that's how I like to imagine it.

Ya, it wasnt the BEST interview or anything to go crazy about, however, it put the subject out there to a decent size audience. Can not tackle the problem until people are exposed. Human instinct is to be attracted to that shiny metal :) People just need a nudge to get there...

CUnknown
01-04-2011, 11:22 PM
Yeah, considering how little time RP had to explain his position, he did well with it. [...]
Also how the 'economist' said, 'prices arent rising!' - uhhhh... when was the last time he got gas? Went to the grocery store to buy food? Looked at the value of gold? [...]

Yeah... this particular statement made me want to pull my hair out. I was really upset.

Some data some Bloomberg:
Gold 100oz Future (USD/t oz.) 1,383.90
Nymex Crude Future 89.23

There's no point even talking about gold, I think everyone recognizes how nuts that number is. But look at oil ... remember, a few years ago, when oil reached 90$ and 100$ a barrel for the first time? Remember how sort of anxious everyone was? Now, basically no one gives a crap or is hardly even talking about it. Our economy is still pretty bad right now, oil shouldn't be this high... it could cross $100 in a few months maybe, who knows. People are just resigned to it, or don't even see it anymore.. except when they're at the pump.

At the gas station the other day, this guy turns to me from putting gas in his truck and gives me a "rent is too damn high!" type moment, just randomly. And he's right, 90$ a barrel is rediculous when we've got, in real numbers, well over 15% unemployment.

No inflation???

It pisses me the f&ck off. I think most people who think that hire people to go to the grocery store for them. Like McCain not knowing how many houses he owns. F&ck him.

Ytrebil
01-04-2011, 11:30 PM
Am I the only one who thinks that was pretty much a disaster?

Sure, we the choir, understood everything that was going on but what does that really matter. That segment was dripping in sarcasm, which is to be expected, and was clearly meant to discredit Dr. Paul before and during the interview. His questions to the NYT dickbag were loaded softballs hoping he can hit them out of the park, even though he failed miserably.

In my opinion, all an uneducated person took away from that interview is that Ron Paul is 800 years old and advocates for policies that are even older. As you watch you could tell that they cut off all of his answers so as to take any real red meat out of his message.

F*** that interview

ApathyCuredRP
01-04-2011, 11:35 PM

Sure, we the choir, understood everything that was going on but what does that really matter. That segment was dripping in sarcasm, which is to be expected, and was clearly meant to discredit Dr. Paul before and during the interview. His questions to the NYT dickbag were loaded softballs hoping he can hit them out of the park, even though he failed miserably.

In my opinion, all an uneducated person took away from that interview is that Ron Paul is 800 years old and advocates for policies that are even older. As you watch you could tell that they cut off all of his answers so as to take any real red meat out of his message.

F*** that interview

It got the message out there. His audience really isn't the key type we need as most are democrats regardless. I agree that it was full of sarcasm, but Ron Paul handled it well. The other guy just straight up lied. 1.5% inflation right now ? HA ya right. Why did I just get a $6 increase in cable bill from Time Warner for 2011 ... which was the last strand and I finally cancelled the tube. Now I just do the good ole internet hooked up to tv on hdmi with netflix, Saves 50 bucks a month ... down payment to that shiny yellow stuff :)

dannno
01-04-2011, 11:35 PM
I always like to watch how the comments on interviews like this go from positive to really horrible over time.

TUUUBE?!!?

CUnknown
01-04-2011, 11:36 PM
[...]
F*** that interview

No, it was pretty bad, I agree. It wasn't Ron's fault at all though. How many fair debates start with a 5 min segment describing exactly why the policies you support are moronic and good only to make fun of? Ron did the best that could be done, he actually did pretty well, I think. But still, that only turned a hit piece into an ineffective hit piece, it's still not a net positive, I don't think.

libertybrewcity
01-04-2011, 11:40 PM
If you missed it, it will be replayed at 1am Central Time (the episode with Geoffrey Canada, right?)

If it is the episode with Kristan Gillibrand, that episode is at 12:30

Bruno
01-04-2011, 11:41 PM
Ron came off as likeable, honest and knowledgeable with a common sense approach. If you had never seen him before, I believe that is a good way to make a first impression.

Austrian Econ Disciple
01-04-2011, 11:54 PM
Inflation is as old as gold is money. Coin clipping went side by side with gold. At least back then the people understood that coin clipping (debasement of the currency; e.g. increasing the amount of monetary units) was robbery and was not tolerated once caught. In our present time people actually believe printing money does not create inflation, and creates jobs and prosperity. Needless to say Keynesians still haven't even presented a case to handle the Stagflation of the 1970s! The people are morons.

TheeJoeGlass
01-05-2011, 12:06 AM
Basic Colbert hit piece. He is almost un-watchable to me. People need to understand that Stewart and Colbert are not on our side.

Bman
01-05-2011, 12:20 AM
Basic Colbert hit piece. He is almost un-watchable to me. People need to understand that Stewart and Colbert are not on our side.

Thanks. I'm gonna write that down, right now!:p

Lucille
01-05-2011, 12:48 AM
You know who's not going to like Colbert making fun of gold? That's right. Elvis Costello (http://www.lewrockwell.com/blog/lewrw/archives/68610.html).

dannno
01-05-2011, 12:51 AM
You know who's not going to like Colbert making fun of gold? That's right. Elvis Costello (http://www.lewrockwell.com/blog/lewrw/archives/68610.html).

Wow!!

I saw him live a few months ago, it was f'n INCREDIBLE!!

Lucille
01-05-2011, 12:54 AM
Wow!!

I saw him live a few months ago, it was f'n INCREDIBLE!!

So you saw the National Ransom tour! Awesome.

http://www.elviscostello.com/micro/national-ransom/css/img/layout/cover.jpg

dannno
01-05-2011, 01:02 AM
So you saw the National Ransom tour! Awesome.

Looks like it was back in April, could have been but I don't remember him pushing a new album.. he is so amazing though, he had like 10 different guitars littered all over the stage and played 'em all..

TheeJoeGlass
01-05-2011, 01:11 AM
Thanks. I'm gonna write that down, right now!:p

I think alot of people are confused by Stewart and Colbert's political leanings are. My only point.

skyorbit
01-05-2011, 01:18 AM
I just saw the rerun. It was pretty funny.

Tracy

Lucille
01-05-2011, 01:20 AM
Looks like it was back in April, could have been but I don't remember him pushing a new album.. he is so amazing though, he had like 10 different guitars littered all over the stage and played 'em all..

I was coming back to say, "Or did you?"

He is amazing. Love him, and his wife (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n7Uc3q346VU)!

Bman
01-05-2011, 01:21 AM
I think alot of people are confused by Stewart and Colbert's political leanings are. My only point.

I know I'm just being a combination of joker and annoying.:D

libertybrewcity
01-05-2011, 01:22 AM
Ron killed it! yeeeaaa

Kludge
01-05-2011, 01:23 AM
The Raw Milk piece wasn't a hit piece nor was this. He attacked gov't regulators AND RP. That's what he does - he's a neutral satirist. He presents both sides as jokes. I didn't think Colbert was funny, but I never do. It was a good audience for Ron to talk to, and I'm sure Ron appreciates the opportunity.

MaxPower
01-05-2011, 01:30 AM
Colbert's entire intro segment on the gold standard was a series of gags deliberately designed to make the pro-gold standard position look silly and archaic, and was loaded with absurd, caricatured straw-man rebuttals that probably sounded logical and convincing to his audience; for example, the "gold-versus-paper-on-a-sunken-ship" argument on Dr. Paul's part was thoroughly valid and logical, but Colbert just played a small snippet which did not altogether make clear what our man was saying, then made an utterly fallacious counterargument that totally ignored his point. Likewise, Colbert's "pay in cattle and my daughter's dowry" snub was utterly fallacious as an argument ("Payment in cattle and dowries was used a long time ago. Gold was used a long time ago. Therefore they are logically equivalent and have equal merit in present-day economic application."), but likely reinforced the idea in uninformed audience members' minds that the gold standard is a crazy and archaic idea that deserves to be mocked along with its adherents.

That said, as others have noted, Dr. Paul didn't really fall into the trap in his interview, remaining as he did sober and reasonable the entire time, instead of coming across as an old coot fixated on shiny metals. There was a pretty stark contrast between the wild-eyed kookery that appeared to characterize proponents of the gold standard in Colbert's satire segment and the calm, rational presentation of the position which followed when one was actually allowed to speak (albeit briefly). I hope this much, at least, was apparent to uninitiated viewers.

dannno
01-05-2011, 02:07 AM
... argument on Dr. Paul's part was thoroughly valid and logical, but Colbert just played a small snippet which did not altogether make clear what our man was saying, then made an utterly fallacious counterargument that totally ignored his point.

Ya, he does that all the time with his guests and usually plays himself off as an ignoramus, purposely making fallacious arguments, maybe that was his point? I can't say yet cause nobody has thrown up the toooob!

WorldonaString
01-05-2011, 02:10 AM

Thanks for this info. I had no idea!

Cleaner44
01-05-2011, 02:59 AM
The Colbert Report - Full Episode
http://www.comedycentral.com/colbertreport/full-episodes/index.jhtml?episodeId=369843

eric_cartman
01-05-2011, 04:10 AM
the part that pissed me off the most was when the NYT guy kept claiming that inflation could only result from a strong "over-heated" economy. he appeared to believe that it was impossible to have inflation in a weak economy which of course is complete nonsense. almost all the examples of hyperinflation in the past have occurred in very weak economies. Obviously the Zimbabwae economy did not have the worst hyperinflation ever because their economy was so strong it got overheated.... of course the opposite was actually true... where the economy was so weak that the government had to resort to printing money to pay the military and other expenditures.

the recent inflation (from 2000 - 2007) resulted from private sector debt expansion, facilitated by the Fed, which expands the money supply... and this tends to occur in strong economies because people are more willing to borrow and go into debt.... however, the coming hyperinflation will most likely not occur from private sector debt expansion... but rather increased government debt and federal reserve monitzation of that debt. and since there are already so many dollars in existence, being held all around the world.... the confidence in the value of the dollar could be lost, and the currency could collapse as foreign holders dump their US bonds and US dollars. it will more likely be a combination of both... where US government debt levels keep rising, the fed keeps monitizing ... and eventually confidence is lost in the whole system and the crisis ensues.

AcousticFoodie
01-05-2011, 04:28 AM
I found it pretty funny but that question about 1 million dollars or gold wedding ring??? I'd take the 1 million dollars of course! Then buy 1 million worth of gold! How many Oz does this man's ring weigh!?

Knightskye
01-05-2011, 04:45 AM
Ron Paul got good points in about the Fed destroying 98% of the dollar's value, and them financing wars.

BamaAla
01-05-2011, 05:17 AM
I don't know how you can watch the segment preceding Ron and come away thinking that this was anything other than a hit piece.

cindy25
01-05-2011, 05:51 AM
strange but there is no torrent of this anywhere???

Golding
01-05-2011, 06:06 AM
I'm reminded why I don't watch Colbert anymore. Just isn't funny anymore. Used to be sensible because the premise was anti-Bush and anti-FOX News, which meshed with what SHOULD have been the underlying theme of casting light on those abusing the public. But as soon as Obama took office, they demonstrated that ridiculing the abusers isn't the prerogative. Colbert and Stewart have been done for me for years, unfortunately.

The interview was okay or what it was worth, but it was clear where Colbert stood. After ridiculing gold as a currency for about ten minutes, he discussed with Ron Paul for about two minutes. Colbert joked about going even further back to using cattle as currency and dowry. RP tried to redirect the conversation to having a certificate of owning gold, not simply carrying gold around. Colbert thought he had a "gotcha" and asked what inherent value the certificate has. Ron Paul educated him that the difference is that the certificate acts as a currency with backing. Colbert interrupted by asking if not having a gold standard would lead to hyperinflation. RP said we're already there. Before he could explain, Colbert cut him off and used it as a lead-in for his live guest, who said there's no evidence of hyperinflation.

After letting the NYTimes Editor suggest that premise, RP pointed out the NASDAQ bubble, housing bubble, inflated bonds market, and cited them as examples of housing. Amazingly, David Leonhardt's reply was the prices of housing has been falling... uh, now... after the aforementioned bubble burst. Ultimately, Leonhardt's babbling fell under the assumption that hyperinflation is a result of an "overheated", too-powerful economy. As described earlier in this thread, history demonstrates far too many examples that prove him wrong.

Leonhardt asked whether Colbert would want his wedding ring, or a million dollars. The error being that they are not of equal current value. Colbert redirects the question to RP, and RP kills it. He rewords the question to ask if you were to put $10,000 in cash or gold coins in a box, which would you want to take into the future. Then he mentioned the impact the Federal Reserve has had on the dollar. You could tell he went on and that they edited it out, but what they left on air was pretty strong. Leonardt tried to defend the Federal Reserve rather superficially, and Colbert hit him with a small correction and did the "I accept your apology" bit. The interview ends with a joke - would you rather worship a gold calf or a paper calf. RP doesn't bite. He continues that he'd rather have gold in his pocket than paper currency. Strong ending.

The main word I was hoping would be used is "scarcity", but unfortunately it never was. The thing that always caught me off guard in a gold standard argument is the question "If paper money is argued to have no intrinsic value, what intrinsic value does gold actually offer?" Indeed, Colbert sort of made that argument by joking gold's value is that it's shiny. The reality is that gold chains the currency to a scarce product that printed currency (or more where the direction of currency is going -- digital currency) simply cannot do. It doesn't have to be gold specifically, but it historically has been the most effective good to do that job. The easy manipulations of money supply indeed effect inflation in ways that some people have difficulty seeing, Leonardt included.

AlexMerced
01-05-2011, 06:49 AM
I wish I was there, I would've torn the NYT editor a new one... the main focus on this segment was two easy to beat arguments:

- Why does gold have intrinsic value? Answer: It is used in dentistry and jewelry and as you have growing global middle class, if anything the demand is growing for it and while central banks around the world are now increasing their gold purchases the supply is decreasing which is signal of more value while the dollars increasing in supply and decreasing in demand (less treasury purchases, russia and china are now moving away from using the dollar to trade between each other)

- Gold is inconvient? Answer: Who said anything about carrying gold, and gold certificates are the same thing as writing a check and last time I checked no one had any major problem with checks also we don't even need checks since purchases can be done electronically thorugh cards which would just debit or credit your account the appropriate amount of gold. Most of the world is looking to go paperless anyways.

Side argument made NYT editor, We arn't finding trouble finding people to lend to us? Answer: Who are the top holders of treasuries, China is number one then the Federal Reserve who's been pruchasing a lot of the debt through quantative easing which actually hurts foreign demand for our debt. China has been reducing the duration of the debt it's buying to shorter term treasuries and is also suffering inflation very much CAUSE of these treasury pruchases (I did a video about this).

Here are videos when I go in depth about these points, to help you in refuting these stupid remarks:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=agFYt9WzqLk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RrR8IHH92mQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M-b1BgdLYQY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qc_HL7HEGF8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aXcTJuJnsZ4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jBo6DF7HeUI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gY-XlSw92qA

Bruno
01-05-2011, 08:21 AM
Oh, Alex....

Bruce
01-05-2011, 08:43 AM
strange but there is no torrent of this anywhere???

You can watch it online at http://www.colbertnation.com/full-episodes/tue-january-4-2011-geoffrey-canada (the actual interview starts at the first real marker in the slider, though there is an intro on "gold" before that)

EDIT: OK, finished watching the show. and it was pretty horrible if you're actually interested in the facts (not sure how you could expect anything else from a comedy show though). Anybody know about a serious roundtable discussion between knowledgeable proponents and opponents of a gold standard (and/or legalizing competing currency) so I can actually figure out what the hell this is all about?

EDIT: Colbert showed a snippet from this interview http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=1045924545087333822

ghengis86
01-05-2011, 08:49 AM
Wrong: the FED is now the largest holder of US Treasury debt. They surpassed China last month with Brian Sacks POMOs.

I wish I was there, I would've torn the NYT editor a new one... the main focus on this segment was two easy to beat arguments:

- Why does gold have intrinsic value? Answer: It is used in dentistry and jewelry and as you have growing global middle class, if anything the demand is growing for it and while central banks around the world are now increasing their gold purchases the supply is decreasing which is signal of more value while the dollars increasing in supply and decreasing in demand (less treasury purchases, russia and china are now moving away from using the dollar to trade between each other)

- Gold is inconvient? Answer: Who said anything about carrying gold, and gold certificates are the same thing as writing a check and last time I checked no one had any major problem with checks also we don't even need checks since purchases can be done electronically thorugh cards which would just debit or credit your account the appropriate amount of gold. Most of the world is looking to go paperless anyways.

Side argument made NYT editor, We arn't finding trouble finding people to lend to us? Answer: Who are the top holders of treasuries, China is number one then the Federal Reserve who's been pruchasing a lot of the debt through quantative easing which actually hurts foreign demand for our debt. China has been reducing the duration of the debt it's buying to shorter term treasuries and is also suffering inflation very much CAUSE of these treasury pruchases (I did a video about this).

Here are videos when I go in depth about these points, to help you in refuting these stupid remarks:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=agFYt9WzqLk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RrR8IHH92mQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M-b1BgdLYQY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qc_HL7HEGF8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aXcTJuJnsZ4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jBo6DF7HeUI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gY-XlSw92qA

AlexMerced
01-05-2011, 09:36 AM
damn... I hadn't heard that yet, well that sure makes our case stronger.

reduen
01-05-2011, 09:54 AM
I thought that this was a great piece... Ron did great!

dannno
01-05-2011, 11:18 AM
You can watch it online at http://www.colbertnation.com/full-episodes/tue-january-4-2011-geoffrey-canada (the actual interview starts at the first real marker in the slider, though there is an intro on "gold" before that)
]

"Would you like some ice with that burn?!!"

LOL!! That was pretty good for a short segment.

trey4sports
01-05-2011, 11:22 AM
Damn, Colbert MAKES FUN of people. Did anyone expect Ron to get a CSPAN interview? This is NOT a hit piece..... This is just Colbert trying to get some laughs and in all seriousness he probably doesn't give a shit about the issue at all, no biggie

hazek
01-05-2011, 12:11 PM
Damn, Colbert MAKES FUN of people. Did anyone expect Ron to get a CSPAN interview? This is NOT a hit piece..... This is just Colbert trying to get some laughs and in all seriousness he probably doesn't give a shit about the issue at all, no biggie

If that's the case why don't we see Obama on there and Colbert make fun of the his health care bill?

TheeJoeGlass

This is part of the problem with Colbert and Stewart and people not understanding their political agenda. Colbert does give a shit about the Gold vs. Fiat money. Without Fiat, no welfare. He is very smart and understands this. Thats why he did a hit piece on it.

Bruce

But why does it seem, at least to me, that he makes more fun of Ron Paul's ideas than he does of the status quo?

dannno
01-05-2011, 12:15 PM
If that's the case why don't we see Obama on there and Colbert make fun of the his health care bill?

You missed that one :confused:

I thought you watched his show every night the way you seem to understand his agenda so well.

dannno
01-05-2011, 12:17 PM
I thought Colbert was grilling the guy in favor of fiat currency a lot harder than he was grilling Ron Paul.

Also, Ron Paul DID get a big applause from the audience when he was introduced.

It is amazing the vast canyon of difference I see between the description of the show from some of the posts on here as compared to reality.

hazek
01-05-2011, 12:20 PM
You missed that one :confused:

I thought you watched his show every night the way you seem to understand his agenda so well.

Well that's because your observation and assumption is wrong.

I do not watch his show and I do not understand his agenda if he even has one.

I did however see a few of his shows in the history of his show, especially in the beginning, and especially before he left the daily show with Jon Stewart and so I know how Colberts humor looks like and I don't like it because what he does is he puts him self on the side of the person he wants to ridicule and defends his positions by acting like an idiot and so I was afraid he was going to do that with Ron which he did. And I'm sorry for not finding humor in the biggest theft in human history mainly possible because people like his viewers don't give a rats ass.

dannno
01-05-2011, 12:41 PM
Well that's because your observation and assumption is wrong.

I do not watch his show and I do not understand his agenda if he even has one.

I did however see a few of his shows in the history of his show, especially in the beginning, and especially before he left the daily show with Jon Stewart and so I know how Colberts humor looks like and I don't like it because what he does is he puts him self on the side of the person he wants to ridicule and defends his positions by acting like an idiot and so I was afraid he was going to do that with Ron which he did. And I'm sorry for not finding humor in the biggest theft in human history mainly possible because people like his viewers don't give a rats ass.

He had to do that, it's how the show works, but the fact is he did a pretty good job of giving Ron Paul equal time to explain things and said he burned the other guy when he was saying how fiat is used to finance our wars.

Let me ask you, isn't Colbert's character pro-war? So if he really wanted to stay in character he would have not said that Ron Paul burned the other guy on the war financing thing... but he did, and he probably got some people to think and look into this Ron Paul guy.

TheeJoeGlass
01-05-2011, 12:55 PM
I thought Colbert was grilling the guy in favor of fiat currency a lot harder than he was grilling Ron Paul.

Also, Ron Paul DID get a big applause from the audience when he was introduced.

It is amazing the vast canyon of difference I see between the description of the show from some of the posts on here as compared to reality.

I think you are mistakening Ron's ability to handle "interviews" after three years of non stop "interviews". He is getting better at dealing with hit pieces("interviews"). Ron won that debate with ease but, the underlying message of that show was Gold standard equals kooky. And thats the reason it was a hit piece.

ClayTrainor
01-05-2011, 01:05 PM
No video yet?

zach
01-05-2011, 01:12 PM
No video yet?

http://www.colbertnation.com/full-episodes/tue-january-4-2011-geoffrey-canada

zach
01-05-2011, 01:21 PM
Considering the demographic that the show seems to attract, I think it was a nice introductory debate amidst the excessive jokes about the issue.

dannno
01-05-2011, 01:24 PM
Considering the demographic that the show seems to attract, I think it was a nice introductory debate amidst the excessive jokes about the issue.

Ya seriously, how else are you going to hold their attention?

Andrew-Austin
01-05-2011, 01:29 PM
I just don't know why anyone watches this show. Not funny, and I think that segment made me a little dumber.

"Would you rather worship a calf made of paper or gold? Derp derp, cue audience laugh." Wow I feel so informed and witty now!

dannno
01-05-2011, 01:33 PM
http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?274768-Colbert-Report-Sends-Out-Email-Highlighting-Interview-with-Ron-Paul

zach
01-05-2011, 01:44 PM
Ya seriously, how else are you going to hold their attention?

Unfortunately. >.<

TonySutton
01-05-2011, 02:43 PM
My hope is that since Ron is being nice to Colbert today, tomorrow when Ron is actively running for President he will get a chance to talk about his anti-war stance which will resonate very well with Colbert's audience.

trey4sports
01-05-2011, 02:57 PM
My hope is that since Ron is being nice to Colbert today, tomorrow when Ron is actively running for President he will get a chance to talk about his anti-war stance which will resonate very well with Colbert's audience.

good point

BenIsForRon
01-05-2011, 03:03 PM
Colbert didn't show bias one way or the other, but the Keynesian guy sure did look like an ignoramus compared to Paul. I think most people would have picked up that his arguments are terrible, especially after he said the dollar is still popular around the world. It's widely known that many countries are thinking about dropping the dollar.

Kregisen
01-05-2011, 03:50 PM
Anybody know about a serious roundtable discussion between knowledgeable proponents and opponents of a gold standard (and/or legalizing competing currency) so I can actually figure out what the hell this is all about?

No, but one of the worries I have of a gold/commodity standard is it fixes your exchange rate with other nations. If the U.S. and Britain both use the gold standard, and U.S. sets x amount of gold at $1 and the UK sets x amount of gold at 1£ then the exchange rate will always be $1 = 1£, instead of letting the free market determine the rate.

I love Ron but I'm still neutral on going to the gold or other commodity standard...I don't know enough.

trey4sports
01-05-2011, 03:58 PM
No, but one of the worries I have of a gold/commodity standard is it fixes your exchange rate with other nations. If the U.S. and Britain both use the gold standard, and U.S. sets x amount of gold at $1 and the UK sets x amount of gold at 1£ then the exchange rate will always be $1 = 1£, instead of letting the free market determine the rate.

I love Ron but I'm still neutral on going to the gold or other commodity standard...I don't know enough.

Ron doesn't favor the Gold Standard, he favors denationalization of the currency. He talks about the Gold Standard simply because it's the closest thing to denationalization we've had

surf
01-05-2011, 04:20 PM
Colbert's agenda is to make people laugh. certainly he and Stewart had a much easier time with Bush in office, and certainly they have an audience who demographically leans to the "left," but they appreciate Ron's honesty and anti-war(s) stance more than almost everyone else that has a show.

everyone should watch the segment the previous night on Stewart's show on SF's Happy Meals http://www.thedailyshow.com/watch/mon-january-3-2011/san-francisco-s-happy-meal-ban

it is great

specsaregood
01-05-2011, 04:31 PM
Ron doesn't favor the Gold Standard, he favors denationalization of the currency. He talks about the Gold Standard simply because it's the closest thing to denationalization we've had

He favors it to the status quo though.

hazek
01-05-2011, 04:44 PM
http://www.thedailyshow.com/watch/mon-january-3-2011/san-francisco-s-happy-meal-ban

OMG I laughed my ass of how he owned that state senator or who ever he was.

mport1
01-05-2011, 09:22 PM
Wow, I'm dumbfounded by how ignorant the other guy was. Somehow inflation means that the economy is overheating? Ron Paul destroyed him in the debate.

fj45lvr
01-06-2011, 01:23 AM
you'd think that the "progressives" would understand that the Federal Gov. couldn't fight the wars and spend 1 trillion a year on military budget with GOLD.....

this falls on deaf ears of people that I am going to laugh at when the dominoes fall. You know that Colbert won't be laughing if he didn't heed the Dr. on this one when the dollar finally is DOA...

I wish Colbert would have focused more on how SILLY and ASININE it is for the "Land of the FREE" to make competing currency illegal (especially when the competing currency is worthless paper from a PRIVATE banking cartel).

AlexMerced
01-06-2011, 08:53 AM

go to http://gold.introtoliberty.com to learn more

I don't think Colbert was out slander Paul, but it's obvious Coberts portrayal of the debate for most people will side on fiat money, I still like Colbert but it takes a lot more time to truly argue against the status quo. The status quo will always win short segments cause of confirmation bias and what is perceived to be "common knowledge" to be in favor of the status quo. So while Ron Paul handled himself fine, unless people actually care about the debate that segment for the most part re-inforced the status quo.

I really enjoy the colbert show, but I'm hoping people who care will do more research.

HOLLYWOOD
01-06-2011, 11:22 AM
Yeah, where's that .gov BLS graph that shows practically no inflation over the past 10 years... 2000-2010. Right there, someone needs to expose the lies and fraud of the Federal Government.

Yeah, considering how little time RP had to explain his position, he did well with it. I do wish he would have pointed out how CPI inflation numbers are complete BS - since they don't take into account things like food, energy, oil and gold, and especially recently have more heavily weighted housing (which prices are only dropping due to the massive correction from the bubble trying to happen) into the CPI numbers. They're completely fluffed. Also how the 'economist' said, 'prices arent rising!' - uhhhh... when was the last time he got gas? Went to the grocery store to buy food? Looked at the value of gold?

As for his analogy 'Which would you rather have, 1 million dollars or my gold ring'? RIDICULOUS! RP shut him down on that one, and pretty much in general. Glad he didn't engage SC's jokes and stuck with the issues, though.

surf
01-06-2011, 12:54 PM
OMG I laughed my ass of how he owned that state senator or who ever he was.
bump for those that didn't watch this Daily Show video on SF and the councilman on Happy Meals. it's pretty damn funny and will actually make you appreciate that Colbert and Stewart can and should be our friends.
http://www.thedailyshow.com/watch/mon-january-3-2011/san-francisco-s-happy-meal-ban
remember, more folks in this country get their news from John Stewart than anyone else :) seriously, and given the alternatives, i'm ok w/somewhat "liberal" comedians that seem to share more viewpoints in common with us than they do with d's or r's. this was a big chunk of O's base, and it could be ours.

dannno
01-06-2011, 12:59 PM
bump for those that didn't watch this Daily Show video on SF and the councilman on Happy Meals. it's pretty damn funny and will actually make you appreciate that Colbert and Stewart can and should be our friends.
remember, more folks in this country get their news from John Stewart than anyone else :) seriously, and given the alternatives, i'm ok w/somewhat "liberal" comedians that seem to share more viewpoints in common with us than they do with d's or r's. this was a big chunk of O's base, and it could be ours.

Ya I'm not sure why so many here miss this.