PDA

View Full Version : Government to impose strict standards and possible fines on yard salers and flea markets.

jdmyprez_deo_vindice
01-04-2011, 01:13 PM
I did not see this posted yet.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2009/09/18/new-government-policy-imposes-strict-standards-garage-sales-nationwide/

look at how much they want to fine someone who sells an item which was unapproved by the government. This is just insanity.

This is not only going to irritate a lot of yard salers but is truly going to hurt flea markets, auction houses and pawn shops which pour billions of dollars into this economy.

Kludge
01-04-2011, 01:17 PM
It depends on how it's enforced. No cop enforces every law all the time - and they aren't supposed to.

"CPSC is an agency that has used its penalty powers over its 30-year history against companies," Wolfson told FOXNews.com. "CPSC is not seeking to pursue penalties against individuals hosting a garage sale or yard sale, we are encouraging them to take the right steps to not resell recalled products."

Yieu
01-04-2011, 02:04 PM
It depends on how it's enforced. No cop enforces every law all the time - and they aren't supposed to.

That may be so, but look at how the clever wording used in the quote could have a different meaning than they seem to portray.

Note: Comments in parenthesis were added by me to show how vague words could have multiple meanings.

"CPSC is an agency that has used its penalty powers over its 30-year history against companies," Wolfson told FOXNews.com. "CPSC is not seeking to pursue penalties against individuals hosting a garage sale or yard sale (but we will if they do sell recalled products!), we are encouraging them to take the right steps to not resell recalled products (because if they don't, we will have no choice but to penalize them!)."

jmdrake
01-04-2011, 10:29 PM
Of course the yard sales have to be eventually shut down.

Revelation 13:16-18 (New International Version, ©2010)

16 It also forced all people, great and small, rich and poor, free and slave, to receive a mark on their right hands or on their foreheads, 17 so that they could not buy or sell unless they had the mark, which is the name of the beast or the number of its name.

HOLLYWOOD
01-04-2011, 11:48 PM
"CPSC is an agency that has used its penalty powers over its 30-year history against companies," Wolfson told FOXNews.com. "CPSC is not seeking to pursue penalties against individuals hosting a garage sale or yard sale, we are encouraging them to take the right steps to not resell recalled products."

http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSxq5r6TqWTVHlOEj5AQXtqD7zQaq1tu YW0kndCi9RldoujR3_Fhttp://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRz8XuM81IA5i1ywfUNLPIFZDWzj-qRcVU_fbG3UAR9FLiHJUU_xw

Dark_Horse_Rider
01-05-2011, 05:25 AM
http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSxq5r6TqWTVHlOEj5AQXtqD7zQaq1tu YW0kndCi9RldoujR3_Fhttp://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRz8XuM81IA5i1ywfUNLPIFZDWzj-qRcVU_fbG3UAR9FLiHJUU_xw

probably already in the works

Lucille
01-05-2011, 09:25 AM
What a bunch of control freaks.

I was reading the tweets from our city council session last night and those little Lenins are limiting garage sales to one weekend a month.

So much for property rights.

Yeah sure. Book-banning (http://www.city-journal.org/2009/eon0212wo.html) SOBs.

Brian4Liberty
01-05-2011, 12:17 PM
What a bunch of control freaks.

I was reading the tweets from our city council session last night and those little Lenins are limiting garage sales to one weekend a month.

Yes, many people are control freaks. No doubt about that.

At least it's at the City level, which is appropriate. It depends on the city and the density of housing/people. The more dense, the more restrictions that will naturally come up. Once a month is enough for garage sales if you have neighbors whose bedroom windows are literally 2 feet from your garage door. Garage sales are early morning events, people start prepping at 5:30am and the early bird "customers" arrive at 6:00am. Who wants to be woken up that early on the weekend?

oyarde
01-05-2011, 05:54 PM
Of course the yard sales have to be eventually shut down.

Revelation 13:16-18 (New International Version, ©2010)

16 It also forced all people, great and small, rich and poor, free and slave, to receive a mark on their right hands or on their foreheads, 17 so that they could not buy or sell unless they had the mark, which is the name of the beast or the number of its name.

Revelation 13 :16 -18 is right !!

VBRonPaulFan
01-05-2011, 07:48 PM
Violators caught selling anything on the enormous list face fines of up to $100,000 per infraction and up to $15 million for a related series of infractions.

HAHAHAHAHA you sell a toy for $1 but it's on the 'bad list' and you get hit with a $100,000 fine....that's the dumbest shit i've ever heard.

jdmyprez_deo_vindice
01-06-2011, 09:32 AM
I am especially concerned with this as it relates to full time business operations. Flea Markets rely on people buying spaces for a day or a weekend to have greater exposure to larger crowds. How many people are going to find out about this and just stay away? Auction houses (which pour bilions into this economy) could be hit especially hard. It takes a tremendous amount of work to prepare for an auction and now that is going to get tougher as auctioneers are going to have to check basically every damn item that comes in just to see if the government approves. Also, how does this impact antiques? Tons of antiques were painted with lead paint or not made of government approved parts.. are those now forbidden to sell?

agitator
01-06-2011, 11:03 AM
This is why I do all my shopping at WalMart.

TonySutton
01-06-2011, 11:26 AM
This is ridiculous, buyers could just as easily use the same website to determine if something they are looking to purchase has been recalled.

Caveat emptor!