PDA

View Full Version : ATF Seizes Airsoft Guns

kah13176
01-04-2011, 12:14 AM
I'm not sure if this has been posted. Nevertheless, disgusting.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rk8-ePGqBmM

EvilEngineer
01-04-2011, 12:56 AM
A PLASTIC airsoft gun is only lethal to the idiot who tries to convert it into a gun, as chunks of plastic shrapnel will be projected through his neck , chest and face when he squeezes the trigger. o.O god federal agents are dumb. If someone is serious about needing weapons... it's easier just to make them from scratch. With bits and pieces from home depot I could whip up any number of high powered weapons.... are they going to seize Home Depot's stock now?

Bruno
01-04-2011, 01:03 AM
If they can be converted to "military-grade weapons"? lmao!

PeacePlan
01-04-2011, 01:08 AM
Hope they go ahead and ask for a freedom of information on that testing. My guess is it was a lie and no tests were done or it would have blown the barrel.

Vessol
01-04-2011, 01:12 AM
I don't know about y'all, but I feel safer already.

Bman
01-04-2011, 04:27 AM
Can be converted? I'd imagine you'd need to buy a real gun and swap grips or some crap. Absolutely preposterous.

Mach
01-04-2011, 04:55 AM
ATF= Alcohol TOYS and Firearms

;).... :mad:

Noob
01-04-2011, 05:40 AM
ATF is really full of morons.

fisharmor
01-04-2011, 06:47 AM
ATF is really full of morons.

I've been hearing stories about converting pellet guns to firearms since the 1980's.
It's still part of ATF's song-and-dance routine, going on 30 years now.
Who, sir, is really the moron in this scenario?

Bern
01-04-2011, 06:48 AM
Sounds like a certain airsoft retail vendor didn't grease the right wheel(s) and therefore, muscle had to be applied.

tangent4ronpaul
01-04-2011, 06:57 AM
Really? Tell ya what ATF agent, you convert one of these and prove that to me. I'll meet you at this range. I'll arrange for your hearse.

Matt Collins
01-04-2011, 07:06 AM
it's easier just to make them from scratch. With bits and pieces from home depot I could whip up any number of high powered weapons.... are they going to seize Home Depot's stock now?Probably. Either that or you'll have to show ID when buying things from any hardware store just to make sure you are approved to purchase such items you know for national security reasons of course.

PaulineDisciple
01-04-2011, 07:15 AM
ATF, Alcohol Tobacco and Firearms sounds like a good name for a convenience store chain.

Philhelm
01-04-2011, 03:19 PM
ATF, Alcohol Tobacco and Firearms sounds like a good name for a convenience store chain.

That it would, but I had always thought that it stood for Assholes, Twits, and Fuckfaces. My mistake.

Uriel999
01-04-2011, 03:38 PM

We should start a business. :D

oyarde
01-04-2011, 05:39 PM
A PLASTIC airsoft gun is only lethal to the idiot who tries to convert it into a gun, as chunks of plastic shrapnel will be projected through his neck , chest and face when he squeezes the trigger. o.O god federal agents are dumb. If someone is serious about needing weapons... it's easier just to make them from scratch. With bits and pieces from home depot I could whip up any number of high powered weapons.... are they going to seize Home Depot's stock now?

No ideas please ....

acptulsa
01-04-2011, 05:42 PM
No ideas please ....

Word. The only time the general public can't tell that they're complete idiots is when they steal ideas suggested in jest from our websites.

devil21
01-04-2011, 06:55 PM
Airsoft are great for tactical training for civilians and militias. The Feds don't want anybody having realistic toys to train with.

tangent4ronpaul
01-04-2011, 10:22 PM
actually what they are worried about is that supposedly an AR-15 lower is pretty much identical between the airsoft and the real gun and it's a part that doesn't doesn't have to take the pressure of a bullet going off. In BATFEthink the lower IS the gun, you can get all other parts (assuming the barrel is long enough) without any paperwork.

-t

tangent4ronpaul
01-04-2011, 10:46 PM
http://www.abovetopsecret.com/forum/thread553744/pg3

When I started this thread. I did not know what type of Airsoft rifle they were talking about exactly. So I say could not be done at all. Then when I found out what type of Airsoft rifle they were talking about. I then did say it was possible to exchange the parts. But that gun would fail within five rounds. I was not that far off. The ATF got 15 rounds off on full automatic before failure. Do not know the exact amount of rounds before failure on semiautomatic. I would not put much past 25. You would have to agree that this would not be a reliable weapon.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dci2Iny_mY8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qGvs--HfwK4

Bruce
01-05-2011, 12:24 AM
I don't know the first thing about the internals of firearms nor those of proper replica airsoft guns but I did thoroughly enjoy reading the statements by both Leo Gonnuscio (firearms manufacturer) and Len Savage (firearms expert) in the FoxNews.com article on the issue (http://www.foxnews.com/us/2010/05/06/exclusive-toy-gun-sold-easily-turned-real-thing/) (mostly those from the latter).

Apparently, the only part of the AR-15 that is even regulated is the receiver, all the remaining parts can be purchased by anyone. And here's the kicker: according to Savage all an AR-15 receiver does is hold the gun together, and with enough gun knowledge almost anything can be made into a receiver. Gonnuscio says that to make this particular airsoft rifle its receiver function just like that of an AR-15 all one has to do is drill one hole (though he admits that even as a semi-automatic it won't last forever). According to Savage the most important part of an AR-15, and the most difficult part to replicate, is the upper half of the gun.

I'd be interested in hearing more about this from somebody who knows a thing or two about firearms? EvilEngineer?

Gonnuscio would like to see the airsoft guns redesigned so they cannot be converted, and I doubt airsofters/milsimmers would mind if that was the compromise they would have to make to continue enjoying their hobby. However, in the end does this whole discussion even matter? From what I've heard it's rather easy, even for convicted criminals, to acquire untraceable firearms. And as EvilEngineer even pointed out (http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?274633-ATF-Seizes-Airsoft-Guns&p=3050982&viewfull=1#post3050982): if someone is serious about needing weapons, it's easier to make them from scratch.

tangent4ronpaul
01-05-2011, 04:19 AM
LOWER receiver!

And it will blow up in your face after 15-20 rounds.

-t

tommyzDad
01-05-2011, 05:09 AM
@ 1:17, is Agent Kelven trying to put the fargin' magazine in backwards? Maybe he works in the Alcohol and Tobacco departments of ATF....

t0rnado
01-05-2011, 05:43 AM
These ATF agents are special needs kids who were raised in the hood and told that they needed to fear guns.