PDA

View Full Version : Hollywood and the War machine

cindy25
01-03-2011, 11:05 PM
Al Jazeera special on collusion between Hollywood and Defense dept.

http://thepiratebay.org/search/hollywood%20war%20machine/0/99/0

purplechoe
01-03-2011, 11:36 PM
darn, it's a bit torrent, I'll have to use the other pc... :)

BlackTerrel
01-04-2011, 12:04 AM
I'd say far more movies are anti-US gov, anti US foreign policy, anti-CIA etc. than vice versa.

Vessol
01-04-2011, 12:11 AM
I'd say far more movies are anti-US gov, anti US foreign policy, anti-CIA etc. than vice versa.

Only to a certain degree.

Most movies that I've seen that are in any way anti-establishment, are only so in a very minor and specific way.

Often if there is a bad guy in the U.S government, he is either rogue or part of a minor faction. There is almost ALWAYS a larger faction of good guys(usually the FBI or Homeland Defense, sometimes the CIA) who fight back and win. Corruption is seen as minor and not prevalent.

If there is a movie that questions U.S foreign policy. Well the only recent ones I've seen are just made by liberals and are against the Iraq war. There are also a few against the Vietnam war. All these movies do or ask though is "Was it worth it?". They never go any deeper into the root cause of the issue or those behind. They just deal with the war and its immediate follow up to and aftermath. They never go into our foreign policy going back to the Spanish-American War.

When I see a single movie from Hollywood that questions WW2 instead of glorifying it for yanks to jerk off to, then I'll believe you. Till then, it's just a little dust on the surface that is the war machine of Hollywood.

BlackTerrel
01-04-2011, 12:55 AM
This was the last movie I saw.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eagle_Eye

The United States armed forces have a lead on a suspected terrorist in Baluchistan, but as the man is a recluse, getting a positive ID proves difficult, and the Department of Defense's computer system recommends that the mission be aborted. The Secretary of Defense (Michael Chiklis) agrees with the abort recommendation, but the President orders the mission be carried out anyway. This turns into a political backlash when all of the victims turn out to be civilians, and retaliatory suicide bombings target US citizens in response.

After which time the computer decides because it was programmed to obey the constitution the computer sets forth on an elaborate plot to kill the President and the rest of the executive branch because they are a threat to the US people...

BlackTerrel
01-04-2011, 12:57 AM
Only to a certain degree.

Most movies that I've seen that are in any way anti-establishment, are only so in a very minor and specific way.

Often if there is a bad guy in the U.S government, he is either rogue or part of a minor faction. There is almost ALWAYS a larger faction of good guys(usually the FBI or Homeland Defense, sometimes the CIA) who fight back and win. Corruption is seen as minor and not prevalent.

If there is a movie that questions U.S foreign policy. Well the only recent ones I've seen are just made by liberals and are against the Iraq war. There are also a few against the Vietnam war. All these movies do or ask though is "Was it worth it?". They never go any deeper into the root cause of the issue or those behind. They just deal with the war and its immediate follow up to and aftermath. They never go into our foreign policy going back to the Spanish-American War.

When I see a single movie from Hollywood that questions WW2 instead of glorifying it for yanks to jerk off to, then I'll believe you. Till then, it's just a little dust on the surface that is the war machine of Hollywood.

Yeah well it depends how far you are to one side. Is Hollywood pro-war? No. You admit you've seen a number of movies anti Iraq war (I haven't seen any movies pro Iraq war)

Do they go all the way back and question US foreign policy all the way back to the Spanish-American war? I guess not. But that hardly means they're colluding with government.

Vessol
01-04-2011, 12:59 AM
Did I ever state that I thought that Hollywood was colluding with the government?

Brian4Liberty
01-04-2011, 11:20 AM
"The Hurt Locker" (6 Academy Awards, including Best Picture), was pro-war.

BlackTerrel
01-04-2011, 09:02 PM
Did I ever state that I thought that Hollywood was colluding with the government?

Sorry didn't say that right. More of a response to the general statement by the OP.

oyarde
01-04-2011, 09:26 PM

I watched that recently . Not sure how I would summarize it .

doodle
01-04-2011, 09:31 PM
With some noteable exceptions, many in Hollywood are bunch of war mongers. Per wilileaks, even the one of the more "liberal" neocons Steven Spieiberg gave million dollar in war donation to Israel when it was bombing innocent civilians in Gaza. Never will I pay to watch his movies again.

Romulus
01-05-2011, 07:52 AM
Its not that Hollywood is openly prowar, its actively promotes a culture of war by creating archetypes of the hero and hereon.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qlr0qf0eTHU

smartguy911
01-05-2011, 08:03 AM
With some noteable exceptions, many in Hollywood are bunch of war mongers. Per wilileaks, even the one of the more "liberal" neocons Steven Spieiberg gave million dollar in war donation to Israel when it was bombing innocent civilians in Gaza. Never will I pay to watch his movies again.

He worked hard and made his millions. He can do whatever he wants with his money. If you want, you can make your millions and donate it to folks in Gaza. No one is going to stop you.

Brian4Liberty
01-05-2011, 11:53 AM
I watched that recently . Not sure how I would summarize it .

See below.

Its not that Hollywood is openly prowar, its actively promotes a culture of war by creating archetypes of the hero and hereon.

Yep, that too.

Look at movies like The Hurt Locker and Blackhawk Down (a favorite of GW Bush). While there is plenty of ugly blood and death, the soldiers are heroic, and their suffering is heroic. The locals are demonized. The men, women and children are all killers. You will notice in The Hurt Locker, that at every instance where locals are encountered, they all end up being "terrorists" or monsters. The soldiers are portrayed as the heroic underdogs, surrounded on all sides by demon natives, who only purpose is to be "rightfully" and "justifiably" mowed down and stacked like piles of wood.

And how many politicians have referenced the TV series "24", with it's impossible scenarios, and Jack "licensed to justifiably kill and torture" Bauer? These people are programmed.

Romulus
01-05-2011, 12:32 PM
It's a well oiled machine. And its well shrouded within pop culture flicks like Iron Man and Transformers. And this is all started so young with 'action-figures' and what-not.

Brian4Liberty
01-05-2011, 12:59 PM
It's a well oiled machine. And its well shrouded within pop culture flicks like Iron Man and Transformers. And this is all started so young with 'action-figures' and what-not.

The irony is that so many kids (naturally) don't have any interest in politics (same as most of their parents), yet they are being subtly programmed by the entertainment that they love every single day.

Zippyjuan
01-05-2011, 01:52 PM
What? Hollywood is making war movies? Heroes vs villians? Making one group look good and one look bad? Since when?

Oh- just since there have been movies.

Chieppa1
01-05-2011, 02:41 PM

Really? I got the absolute opposite reaction.

Romulus
01-05-2011, 02:58 PM
The irony is that so many kids (naturally) don't have any interest in politics (same as most of their parents), yet they are being subtly programmed by the entertainment that they love every single day.

Of course, you have a captive mind. Why not build the franchise, make a shhtload of money and program them to be good human resources all at once. Its a win win for them.

What? Hollywood is making war movies? Heroes vs villians? Making one group look good and one look bad? Since when?

Oh- just since there have been movies.

Reel Bad Arabs! Be very afraid!!

Its more than just creating boogie men, its the culture industry.

"Do you know, the people fighting for your head..."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RmqNNE6Mlko

Zatch
01-05-2011, 03:23 PM
It's on youtube in 720p:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v66HM5ILiwk

agitator
01-05-2011, 03:56 PM
Reel Bad Arabs! Be very afraid!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mi1ZNEjEarw

Brian4Liberty
01-05-2011, 04:28 PM
Really? I got the absolute opposite reaction.

Everything is open to interpretation. The Hurt Locker has an archetypal hero. He suffers, and he goes back for more. He is also an underdog. Are we really the underdogs?

Look at movies like The Hurt Locker and Blackhawk Down (a favorite of GW Bush). While there is plenty of ugly blood and death, the soldiers are heroic, and their suffering is heroic. The locals are demonized. The men, women and children are all killers. You will notice in The Hurt Locker, that at every instance where locals are encountered, they all end up being "terrorists" or monsters. The soldiers are portrayed as the heroic underdogs, surrounded on all sides by demon natives, who only purpose is to be "rightfully" and "justifiably" mowed down and stacked like piles of wood.

vita3
01-05-2011, 04:34 PM
The Hurt Locker guy becomes a psycho for adrenaline.. can't be with his family or loved ones

crazy clip agiatator, tanks

Romulus
01-05-2011, 04:47 PM
It's on youtube in 720p:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v66HM5ILiwk

bookmarked - thanks!

Brian4Liberty
01-05-2011, 09:18 PM
It's on youtube in 720p:

Is this announcer a regular broadcaster, and is Aasif Mandvi a spoof on him!?

Brian4Liberty
01-05-2011, 09:20 PM
The Hurt Locker guy becomes a psycho for adrenaline.. can't be with his family or loved ones

Yes, but a good propaganda piece is not one dimensional.

oyarde
01-05-2011, 09:20 PM
Everything is open to interpretation. The Hurt Locker has an archetypal hero. He suffers, and he goes back for more. He is also an underdog. Are we really the underdogs?

If you are the dude dismantling a bomb , yeah , you are the underdog no matter where you come from .

Brian4Liberty
01-05-2011, 10:44 PM
If you are the dude dismantling a bomb , yeah , you are the underdog no matter where you come from .

Finally watched some of the documentary. It said that "The Hurt Locker" was one of the military/Hollywood collaborations, but the Military got upset with the scene where he went out at night and put a gun to a few civilians heads (not honorable enough). That's a minor disagreement with a single scene. The best propaganda is hard to detect, and even better if they can get it "disavowed"...

purplechoe
01-06-2011, 12:41 AM
I just watched this as well, will have to check out "The Green Zone". I have watched very few movies within the last 3-4 years where in the past I would consider myself somewhat of a movie buff... (I watch a lot of foreign and black and white movies along with some of the Hollywood fair) Some of the best anti-war movies and that will show truth about it I can recommend are Apocalypse Now, Platoon, The Beast (1988), Casualties of War, Full Metal Jacket, and The Thin Red Line...

oyarde
01-06-2011, 07:20 PM
I just watched this as well, will have to check out "The Green Zone". I have watched very few movies within the last 3-4 years where in the past I would consider myself somewhat of a movie buff... (I watch a lot of foreign and black and white movies along with some of the Hollywood fair) Some of the best anti-war movies and that will show truth about it I can recommend are Apocalypse Now, Platoon, The Beast (1988), Casualties of War, Full Metal Jacket, and The Thin Red Line...

Apocalypse Now , I would suggest people see if they have not . If I recall , it may have been based on a book called Heart of Darkness ? Thin Red Line , I would suggest as well .

oyarde
01-06-2011, 07:38 PM
Finally watched some of the documentary. It said that "The Hurt Locker" was one of the military/Hollywood collaborations, but the Military got upset with the scene where he went out at night and put a gun to a few civilians heads (not honorable enough). That's a minor disagreement with a single scene. The best propaganda is hard to detect, and even better if they can get it "disavowed"...

I certainly have no interest in being a bomb squad guy .

doodle
01-06-2011, 11:07 PM
He worked hard and made his millions. He can do whatever he wants with his money.

Wait a minute, you don't have any philosophical problem with me pledging never to pay to watch any of Spielberg's movies right?
He is talented.. but so were many scientists working for Hitler. I did not suggest Steven Spielberg should be waterboarded because he funded war crimes and slughter of innocent children. I simply said I won't contribute to a war crimes supporter getting rich and encouraged others to boycott someone who funds war crimes. That's free enterprise.

Brian4Liberty
01-07-2011, 12:16 AM
Apocalypse Now , I would suggest people see if they have not . If I recall , it may have been based on a book called Heart of Darkness ?

"Charlie don't surf!"

unconsious767
01-07-2011, 12:32 AM
Something someone might also want to check out,

Reel Bad Arabs: How Hollywood Vilifies a People (5 part playlist)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k1-Bbz_TBMc&feature=&p=C6BC33C2E29C087C&index=0&playnext=1

oyarde
01-07-2011, 03:54 PM
"Charlie don't surf!"

Correct , the Cong were a little busy with other things .

oyarde
01-07-2011, 03:56 PM
If you wish to experience , realistically , kind of what it is like being shot at by an automatic , military grade weapon without having to experience it first hand , I suggest the Thin Red Line .