PDA

View Full Version : G.Sachs Values Facebook @ $50b, Expected to Invest $1.5b

Kludge
01-03-2011, 06:08 PM
"Goldman Sachs has reached out to its wealthy private clients, offering them a chance to invest in Facebook, the hot social networking giant that is considering a possible public offering in 2012, according to people familiar with the matter.

Facebook has raised $500 million from Goldman Sachs and a Russian investor in a transaction that values the company at $50 billion, according to people involved in the transaction. As part of its deal with Facebook, Goldman is expected to raise as much as $1.5 billion from investors for Facebook.

The deal makes Facebook now worth more than companies like eBay, Yahoo and Time Warner.

The stake by Goldman Sachs, considered one of Wall Street’s savviest investors, signals the increasing might of Facebook, which has already been bearing down on giants like Google.

The new money will give Facebook more firepower to steal away valuable employees, develop new products and possibly pursue acquisitions — all without being a publicly traded company. The investment may also allow earlier shareholders, including Facebook employees, to cash out at least some of their stakes.

The new investment comes as the Securities and Exchange Commission has begun an inquiry into the increasingly hot private market for shares in Internet companies, including Facebook, Twitter, the gaming site Zynga and LinkedIn, an online professional networking site. Some experts suggest the inquiry is focused on whether certain companies are improperly using the private market to get around public disclosure requirements.

The Facebook investment deal is likely to stir up a debate about what the company would be worth in the public market. Though it does not disclose its financial performance, analysts estimate the company is profitable and could bring in as much as $2 billion in revenue annually.

Under the terms of the deal, Goldman has invested $450 million, and Digital Sky Technologies, a Russian investment firm that has already sunk about half a billion dollars into Facebook, invested $50 million, people involved in the talks said.

Facebook received 8.9 percent of all Web visits in the United States between January and November 2010. Google’s main site was second with 7.2 percent, followed by Yahoo Mail service, Yahoo’s Web portal and YouTube, part of Google.

For Mr. Zuckerberg, the deal may double his personal fortune, which Forbes estimated at $6.9 billion when Facebook was valued at $23 billion. That would put him in a league with the founders of Google, Larry Page and Sergey Brin, who are reportedly worth $15 billion apiece."

Full story @ http://dealbook.nytimes.com/2011/01/02/goldman-invests-in-facebook-at-50-billion-valuation/?ref=technology

Kludge
01-09-2011, 05:34 AM
Interesting... SEC is likely going to begin demanding FB go public by 2012.

"SEC rule likely to trigger Facebook IPO in 2012

SAN FRANCISCO (AP) -- With so many investors becoming fans of the company, Facebook will be legally required to begin sharing more information about its finances and strategy by April 2012, according to documents distributed to prospective shareholders."

Story @ http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/g/a/2010/12/28/businessinsider-sec-investigation-could-force-facebook-to-ipo-2010-12.DTL

(AP article's formatting was broken)

YumYum
01-09-2011, 06:07 AM
I see Facebook as a fad that will have had its day; same way as "My Space". When things go nuts and the majority of people have bill collectors chasing them, who in their right mind would want to be on Facebook? I know a guy who is a deadbeat dad. He lived in Nashville and the authorities were looking for him. He moved to Oklahoma. He posted on his Facebook page where he works. They picked him up. Yes, he is an idiot, but there are many people who will be sought after and be found on Facebook for a lot less offenses than being a deadbeat dad. After this horrible tragedy in Arizona, the day of "15 minutes of fame" may be finally over. When the world goes nuts, who would want to be famous, let alone have their personal lives on a web page where the whole world can read about it?

Kludge
01-12-2011, 03:05 AM
"... WSJ's Deal Journal got a peek at the email — and noticed a a striking resemblance to the language in a Nigerian email scam.

Goldman's message begins:

When you have a chance I wanted to find a time to discuss a highly confidential and time sensitive investment opportunity in a private company ...

For confidentiality reasons, I am unable to tell you the name of the company unless you agree not to use such information other than in connection with your evaluation of the investment opportunity and to keep all information that we reveal to you strictly confidential.

And, for comparison, here's a Nigerian email quoted by Deal Journal:

FIRST, I MUST SOLICIT YOUR STRICTEST CONFIDENCE IN THIS TRANSACTION. THIS IS BY VIRTUE OF ITS NATURE AS BEING UTTERLY CONFIDENTIAL AND ‘TOP SECRET’. I AM SURE AND HAVE CONFIDENCE OF YOUR ABILITY AND RELIABILITY TO PROSECUTE A TRANSACTION OF THIS GREAT MAGNITUDE INVOLVING A PENDING TRANSACTION REQUIRING MAXIIMUM CONFIDENCE."

http://www.npr.org/blogs/money/2011/01/06/132703504/goldman-facebook-pitch-or-nigerian-email-scam?ft=1&f=93559255