PDA

View Full Version : One week after a blizzard paralyzed the city, it's more than 6 feet deep in spots.

Kludge
01-02-2011, 07:54 PM
"Not the snow - the trash.

"It is absolutely ridiculous," griped Brooklyn resident Gilbert Lee, who said a week was too long for the garbage to sit. "It's over 6 feet tall. It's a great wall of trash sitting in front of my apartment, all up and down Flatbush Avenue. It's just absolutely unacceptable."

The Department of Sanitation announced it would resume garbage pickups on Monday for the first time since the Christmas weekend storm dumped 20 inches of snow on city streets. Trash collection was suspended while crews struggled to plow streets, Sanitation Commissioner John Doherty said.

"We are able to resume garbage pickups now that significant progress has been made in clearing away the aftermath of last Sunday's massive blizzard," Doherty said Saturday.

Mayor Michael Bloomberg and other city officials endured days of withering criticism for the city's slow response to the storm. Bloomberg visited some of the neighborhoods hardest hit by the snow and confessed the city's handling of it was "inadequate and unacceptable.""

Full story @ http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/U/US_WINTER_WEATHER_GARBAGE?SITE=RIPAW&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT

Anti Federalist
01-02-2011, 08:01 PM
Bah, these people should have been around for the Lindsey administration in the 60s.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Lindsay

PreDeadMan
01-02-2011, 08:40 PM
Lol you pay a crapload in taxes.... and the return on your investment sucks big time!....

Dr.3D
01-02-2011, 08:43 PM
I doubt they are having a fly problem. A rodent problem perhaps.

Jeremy
01-03-2011, 01:54 AM
if the snow plowers and garbage men were both private companies, they could hire both at once

MelissaWV
01-03-2011, 08:42 AM
if the snow plowers and garbage men were both private companies, they could hire both at once

I like your moxie. Strap a plow to the front of the garbage truck :p

They're complaining that the trash only goes by once a week? That's how often it *normally* goes by here, and I can't imagine generating so much garbage that it'd be a problem. It's freezing out, too (hence their snow), so food and other normally stinky garbage wouldn't start to decay.

oyarde
01-03-2011, 07:19 PM
I like your moxie. Strap a plow to the front of the garbage truck :p

They're complaining that the trash only goes by once a week? That's how often it *normally* goes by here, and I can't imagine generating so much garbage that it'd be a problem. It's freezing out, too (hence their snow), so food and other normally stinky garbage wouldn't start to decay.

It used to be common for cities to use trash trucks to plow with .