PDA

View Full Version : Vetting for eligibility

cowpunk12
01-02-2011, 04:37 PM
So I like to surf right wing websites. Left wing too, but the former is relevant to this post. I have a question. Is there normally a vetting process to determine if the president is a natural born citizen? WND seems to believe that there is supposed to be one. If there isn't usually, I suppose that they would bring up the fact that Obama had a parent born in another country (not that that matters in any other aspect of law). Were the other 42 presidents vetted? I'm really getting irritated that this is an issue, but I'd like to have that info.

cowpunk12
01-02-2011, 04:40 PM
I mean Lakin really should have declared that the war was illegitimate since it was declared by the president...

mrsat_98
01-02-2011, 06:13 PM
he is not the president.

Pericles
01-02-2011, 06:25 PM
One of the interesting things is that nobody seems to be responsible for checking - several of the Sec of States for the states relied on other sources, such as the party is responsible of ensuring qualifications and such....

Chester A. Arthur was a dual citizen (father was Irish and naturalized after the son was born).

lynnf
01-02-2011, 07:39 PM
First vetting is supposed to come from the press and the party primaries. In the Great O's case it seems that they were so enamored with the thought of a black man being president, they flubbed the job.

Second, the candidate only has to sign a statement that he is eligible for the office he is running for and give the application to each state's secretary of state (or equivalent).
In past years some SOS's have demanded proof such as meeting age requirements, but it seems that none did with the Great O. Hence the pickle we are in right now.

Oh, and I forgot McCain. He should have contested the eligibility after the election, but he blew it for whatever reason he failed to do that.

lynn

here's the text for a primary slot in the Texas primary:

Before me, the undersigned authority, on this day personally appeared (name) _________________________________________, who being by me here and now duly sworn, upon oath says: “I, (name)________________________________________, of _____________________________ County, Texas, being a candidate for the office of __________________________________________________ ____, swear that I will support and defend the Constitution and laws of the United States and of the State of Texas. I am a citizen of the United States eligible to hold such office under the Constitution and laws of this state. I have not been finally convicted of a felony for which I have not been pardoned or had my full rights of citizenship restored by other official action. I have not been determined by a final judgment of a court exercising probate jurisdiction to be totally mentally incapacitated or partially mentally incapacitated without the right to vote. I am aware of the nepotism law, Chapter 573, Government Code.