PDA

View Full Version : GOP Frontrunners on Cap & Trade

kah13176
01-02-2011, 01:36 PM
http://www.politico.com/news/stories/1210/46699.html

Most of them - Pawlenty, Huckabee, Romney, Gingrich...all support federal government meddling in carbon emissions.

Despite what you may hear, the scientific community is fairly divided over global warming. Some attribute weather patterns on the Sun (which have been very abnormal in the past few decades), while others cite volcanic eruptions or simply that there's not enough data.

Also, if we could discuss how free markets could achieve what cap and trade is trying to achieve, that would be nice too (assuming our own CO2 emissions are to blame).

Brian4Liberty
01-02-2011, 01:43 PM
Instead of debating the supposed environmental impact of Cap and Trade, follow the money instead. Cap and Trade results in massive profits for companies like Goldman Sachs and JP Morgan, who push for this behind the scenes. GOP politicians who favor it have sold out to the Banksters (or are terribly naive), and could care less about the environment.

Legend1104
01-02-2011, 01:49 PM
Don't you just wish that voters would look into this kind of stuff more? Yet another reason to vote for Ron Paul.

specsaregood
01-02-2011, 01:50 PM
Instead of debating the supposed environmental impact of Cap and Trade, follow the money instead. Cap and Trade results in massive profits for companies like Goldman Sachs and JP Morgan, who push for this behind the scenes. GOP politicians who favor it have sold out to the Banksters (or are terribly naive), and could care less about the environment.

Which is exactly why it is the "frontrunners" that are in support of it.....and why they are the "frontrunners".

kah13176
01-02-2011, 01:53 PM

How would federal tax revenue eventually be turned over to those companies? Sorry, I'm fairly new to libertarian ideas and I'm still fairly naive.

Brian4Liberty
01-02-2011, 02:09 PM
How would federal tax revenue eventually be turned over to those companies? Sorry, I'm fairly new to libertarian ideas and I'm still fairly naive.

Well, it's nothing libertarian, more like understanding cronyism. Cap and Trade was originally pushed by Enron, and now it is being pushed by Goldman Sachs and JP Morgan. It has to do with Carbon Credits. The government will create these "carbon credits" out of thin air. They will have value, and they would end up being traded on a "market" or exchange. That "market" will be controlled by the few big Wall St firms, so they will take a variety of cuts (trading fees, commissions, re-packaging, issuing, etc.). In addition, due to their connections with the government, they will have first pick at the carbon credits as they are issued. The government will be giving out free money, and the connected will be the first in line. Biggest scam since the Federal Reserve.

Overall, Cap and Trade will be an additional cost to all industry, thus it is often called a "tax", as it will act like a tax on the entire economy.

kah13176
01-02-2011, 02:13 PM
Well, it's nothing libertarian, more like understanding cronyism. Cap and Trade was originally pushed by Enron, and now it is being pushed by Goldman Sachs and JP Morgan. It has to do with Carbon Credits. The government will create these "carbon credits" out of thin air. They will have value, and they would end up being traded on a "market" or exchange. That "market" will be controlled by the few big Wall St firms, so they will take a variety of cuts (trading fees, commissions, re-packaging, issuing, etc.). In addition, due to their connections with the government, they will have first pick at the carbon credits as they are issued. The government will be giving out free money, and the connected will be the first in line. Biggest scam since the Federal Reserve.

Overall, Cap and Trade will be an additional cost to all industry, thus it is often called a "tax", as it will act like a tax on the entire economy.

Thanks. I just recently "woke up", so I'm doing a lot of catching up on understanding =/