PDA

View Full Version : Frum on whether the Founding Fathers were "libertarians"

cavalier973
01-02-2011, 04:49 AM
http://www.frumforum.com/were-the-founding-fathers-libertarian

Of course, "libertarianism" is a relatively new label for an old philosophy. Some of the Founding Fathers would fit right in with the modern liberty movement, some of them would be horrified, I'm sure.

Edit: I'm wrong about the term "libertarianism" being relatively new. It actually goes back to the Enlightenment.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Libertarianism

t0rnado
01-02-2011, 05:15 AM
The concept of libertarianism isn't new at all. The idea that people should be able to do as they please as long they don't impede upon the rights of others has been around for centuries.

You could simply look at the writings of Thomas Paine, Thomas Jefferson, and others to see that, if they were alive today, they would agree with Ron Paul and others in the libertarian movement.

low preference guy
01-02-2011, 05:33 AM
Frum apparently haven't read the declaration of independence.

Brooklyn Red Leg
01-02-2011, 05:54 AM
I personally loved little gem in the comment section:

Has anyone else noticed the absurd elite circlejerk that one NY Mag article has enabled?

To paraphrase Stefan Molyneux, Frum is a State-sucking, assclown, toady-lackey of the Ruling Class.

Anti Federalist
01-02-2011, 07:28 AM
I personally loved little gem in the comment section:

To paraphrase Stefan Molyneux, Frum is a State-sucking, assclown, toady-lackey of the Ruling Class.

Which then begs the larger question, why does anybody care what this piece of shit has to say about anything?

ETA - In glancing over this, it's not clear that I'm referring to Frum as the PoS and not Stefan Molyneux.

Frum is who I mean.

GunnyFreedom
01-02-2011, 07:30 AM
Which then begs the larger question, why does anybody care what this piece of shit has to say about anything?

I assume because gathering intelligence against an enemy is one of the keys to victory?

Cowlesy
01-02-2011, 07:31 AM
Dave Frum's anti-liberty, pro-Imperial writings far outweigh the few and far between good things he writes. I do not read him and do not consider his views on 18th Century America or the philosophy of liberty to be relevant.

specsaregood
01-02-2011, 07:32 AM
//

Cowlesy
01-02-2011, 07:34 AM
I assume because gathering intelligence against an enemy is one of the keys to victory?

I'm not sure he's worth our time. I completely agree with your assertion that knowing the opposition is a key to victory, I just think we'll save time/resources picking off Romney/Huckabee followers compared to the relatively few and concrete in their views followers of Frum.

GunnyFreedom
01-02-2011, 08:08 AM
Is it possible to gather intelligence from a moron?

No. But you can gather intelligence ON a moron. ;)

GunnyFreedom
01-02-2011, 08:11 AM
I'm not sure he's worth our time. I completely agree with your assertion that knowing the opposition is a key to victory, I just think we'll save time/resources picking off Romney/Huckabee followers compared to the relatively few and concrete in their views followers of Frum.

Traditionally, an IPB (Intelligence Preparation of the Battlefield) accounts for a wide range of datasets. Frum, I believe, would be data regarding 'support services' carrying the analogy from wartime intelligence.

In a war, you gather intelligence on the enemy infantry and mechanized forces. That would be Romney/Huckabee. But you ALSO gather intelligence on their fuel depots and lines of foodstuff logistics. That would be Frum/Levin etc.

Cowlesy
01-02-2011, 08:18 AM
Traditionally, an IPB (Intelligence Preparation of the Battlefield) accounts for a wide range of datasets. Frum, I believe, would be data regarding 'support services' carrying the analogy from wartime intelligence.

In a war, you gather intelligence on the enemy infantry and mechanized forces. That would be Romney/Huckabee. But you ALSO gather intelligence on their fuel depots and lines of foodstuff logistics. That would be Frum/Levin etc.

Sorry, I still think David Frum is the wrong one to look at. If you want to look at 'fuel depots' and 'lines of foodstuff' logistics, look to Foreign Policy Initiative, Hudson Institute, American Enterprise Institute, Hoover Institution and the Heritage Foundation.

GunnyFreedom
01-02-2011, 08:21 AM
Sorry, I still think David Frum is the wrong one to look at. If you want to look at 'fuel depots' and 'lines of foodstuff' logistics, look to Foreign Policy Initiative, Hudson Institute, American Enterprise Institute, Hoover Institution and the Heritage Foundation.

Them too, I agree. An IPB should not neglect any point of data whatsoever. IPB's tend to be rather voluminous, but having all relevant data at the fingertips is a huge help to commanders on the ground.

Southron
01-02-2011, 08:25 AM
Libertarian political philosophy does not have to be joined with libertarian psychology.

He also tries to say that Calvinism is incompatible with libertarian ideas, and I disagree. A good understanding of the nature of man, should cause you to have more caution in giving fallen men unrestrained power.

EndDaFed
01-02-2011, 09:28 AM
Why would libertarians want to claim the founders in the first place? Why look to the past when you can focus on the future,

lester1/2jr
01-02-2011, 09:33 AM
thak you canadian machevellian for educating us about libertarianianism and our founding fathers. I'll take the ron paul sticker off my car right away. boy is my face red.

Legend1104
01-02-2011, 02:07 PM
He also seems to believe that libertarianism equals anarchism.

MaxPower
01-02-2011, 05:41 PM
The Founding Fathers as a group were by no means a chorus of doctrinaire libertarians, but the central ideas they rallied around in the revolution (opposition to arbitrary power, belief in negative/natural rights) were libertarian ones, and most of the core group of founders would fall at least broadly within the category of libertarianism more so than "conservatism" or "liberalism" as they are generally understood today. Moreover, libertarianism is the only political philosophy in the modern spectrum which is compatible with the Constitution- "liberalism" demands expansive government economic control and legal positivism, in opposition to the enumerated powers doctrine and 10th amendment, while "conservatism" attacks the liberties protected by Habeas Corpus and the fourth-through-eighth amendments. I daresay libertarianism does have the best claim to being the "true" founding philosophy of the United States.

StilesBC
01-02-2011, 06:11 PM
Because most people hold the founding fathers in high regard, yet unknowingly support numerous issues that are in direct opposition to their principles. People dislike being called hypocrites. So if they are told they can either support neocons/social dems OR the founding fathers, but not both, perhaps they will inquire further on libertarian alternatives to the present duopoly.

Brian4Liberty
01-02-2011, 07:42 PM
Is it possible to gather intelligence from a moron?

Lol! Good one...

Brian4Liberty
01-02-2011, 07:46 PM
No. But you can gather intelligence ON a moron. ;)

Of course. And we have a lot of them to cover...