PDA

View Full Version : "Respect Authority-Do what they say and everything will be OK"

Anti Federalist
12-31-2010, 02:15 PM
Thread title are part of the lyrics from the following song by this Christian/kid band.

WTF?

If Christ had obeyed authority, he would not have gotten crucified, and would have made a ton of money exchanging money at the temple.

Good advice...:rolleyes:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XeQUlr4Xc3s&feature=related

Dreamofunity
12-31-2010, 02:20 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qPnel7P8jek

Heimdallr
12-31-2010, 02:21 PM
...are....are you serious?

http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_l6tq1xuGoA1qbumrto1_500.jpg

TNforPaul45
12-31-2010, 02:29 PM
Romans 13 Romans 13 Romans 13 Romans 13 Romans 13 Romans 13 Romans 13 Romans 13 Romans 13 Romans 13 Romans 13 Romans 13 Romans 13 Romans 13 Romans 13 Romans 13 Romans 13 Romans 13 Romans 13 Romans 13 Romans 13 Romans 13 Romans 13 Romans 13 Romans 13 Romans 13 Romans 13 Romans 13 Romans 13 Romans 13 Romans 13 Romans 13 Romans 13 Romans 13 Romans 13 Romans 13 Romans 13 Romans 13 Romans 13 Romans 13 Romans 13 Romans 13 Romans 13 Romans 13 Romans 13 Romans 13 Romans 13 Romans 13

jclay2
12-31-2010, 02:30 PM
WTF!

"Authorities are here to help you, do what they say and everything will be ok"

amy31416
12-31-2010, 02:41 PM
I thought it was going to be a spoof...

Disturbing.

P.S. WORST PUNK BAND EVER!!!

P.P.S. If they were my kids, I'd consider adoption....

Agorism
12-31-2010, 02:42 PM
First rule of Captivity:

Obey all the dumb rules.

kah13176
12-31-2010, 02:45 PM
"A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves."
-Edward R. Murrow

BamaAla
12-31-2010, 03:21 PM
Should I laugh or cry? Both seem like appropriate action...

muzzled dogg
12-31-2010, 03:23 PM
Respect authority because authority respects you

Slutter McGee
12-31-2010, 04:09 PM
No Cartman reference yet? Come on guys.

Slutter McGee

agitator
12-31-2010, 04:30 PM
I thought it was going to be a spoof...

Disturbing.

P.S. WORST PUNK BAND EVER!!!

I wouldn't wish that on any adoptive parents. I'd sell them to a human trafficker.

Dreamofunity
12-31-2010, 06:36 PM
No Cartman reference yet? Come on guys.

Slutter McGee

http://meredith.wolfwater.com/cart.jpg

youngbuck
12-31-2010, 06:47 PM
http://images.zaazu.com/img/vomit-boy01-vomit-puke-sick-smiley-emoticon-000652-medium.gif

We need a barf/puke emoticon.

AFPVet
12-31-2010, 07:18 PM
http://images.zaazu.com/img/vomit-boy01-vomit-puke-sick-smiley-emoticon-000652-medium.gif

we need a barf/puke emoticon.

yes!

dannno
12-31-2010, 07:32 PM
That video is shot in my home town..

I am so ashamed.

I guess that's what you get when you mix Christians in an ultra-progressive area.

Austrian Econ Disciple
12-31-2010, 07:36 PM
Man, if only the Native Americans and Jews knew this simple elegant truth..... What total buffoons. Damn booboisie.

dannno
12-31-2010, 07:45 PM
lol, I think I saw a comment somewhere that said they should change their name to "Rage for the Machine" :D

Bodhi
12-31-2010, 08:19 PM
Wow...

Poor kids, they are in for a rude awakening.

Anti Federalist
01-01-2011, 02:46 AM
It occurred to me this evening:

I wonder if obeying authority includes obeying the authority of pedophile priests?

t0rnado
01-01-2011, 03:01 AM
http://i3.ytimg.com/vi/w7DwMvv3grk/0.jpg

Wesker1982
01-01-2011, 12:36 PM
i think im going to be sick

these kids would be perfect for this http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Milgram_experiment

payme_rick
01-01-2011, 12:49 PM
very disturbing... no rhyming... no direction and a lot of brainwashed kids... and one wearing a big annoying ball on her left wrist... ball and chain, anyone?

but the comments I am loving... my fav. so far:

This band has gone really down hill since "God Gave Rock 'n' Roll to You"

RP Supporter
01-01-2011, 01:03 PM
Disturbing, but some of their favorites lead me to believe it's satire. Also, take a look at some of the tags. "Brainwashing" and "luls".

However, I was amused by their don't illegally download movie. The Kesha spoof was also pretty good.

Edit: So it actuatly is real. Color me depressed. This is never a good messege to tell anyone. In my view, questioning things is proof of our God given reason, and surely he'd want us to exercise that.

GunnyFreedom
01-01-2011, 01:22 PM
Disturbing, but some of their favorites lead me to believe it's satire. Also, take a look at some of the tags. "Brainwashing" and "luls".

However, I was amused by their don't illegally download movie. The Kesha spoof was also pretty good.

Edit: So it actuatly is real. Color me depressed. This is never a good messege to tell anyone. In my view, questioning things is proof of our God given reason, and surely he'd want us to exercise that.

Yeah, this was another person re-uploading the original in which their parents had disabled the comments...

ETA: http://images.zaazu.com/img/vomit-boy01-vomit-puke-sick-smiley-emoticon-000652-medium.gif

Anti Federalist
01-01-2011, 02:12 PM
Yeah, this was another person re-uploading the original in which their parents had disabled the comments...

ETA: http://images.zaazu.com/img/vomit-boy01-vomit-puke-sick-smiley-emoticon-000652-medium.gif

I respect your views on Christianity and the state, Glen.

know it's probably been posted already but:

What is your take on Romans 13?

dannno
01-01-2011, 02:21 PM

Romans 13

1Let every soul be subject unto the higher powers. For there is no power but of God: the powers that be are ordained of God.

2Whosoever therefore resisteth the power, resisteth the ordinance of God: and they that resist shall receive to themselves damnation.

3For rulers are not a terror to good works, but to the evil. Wilt thou then not be afraid of the power? do that which is good, and thou shalt have praise of the same:

4For he is the minister of God to thee for good. But if thou do that which is evil, be afraid; for he beareth not the sword in vain: for he is the minister of God, a revenger to execute wrath upon him that doeth evil.

My take (from an agnostic)

Either

A. These Bible is merely a tool of oppression and that passage was written so that they could use religion to push statism on populations

and/or

B. The passage's true meaning has been mis-read and/or mis-translated, it is supposed to mean that only God is authority and the only authority that really needs to be obeyed is from God.

dannno
01-01-2011, 02:27 PM

Ya no it's all real, they belong to a church that is right down the street from me.. :(

Anti Federalist
01-01-2011, 02:38 PM
My take (from an agnostic)

Either

A. These Bible is merely a tool of oppression and that passage was written so that they could use religion to push statism on populations

and/or

B. The passage's true meaning has been mis-read and/or mis-translated, it is supposed to mean that only God is authority and the only authority that really needs to be obeyed is from God.

Well, me, I think Paul was farkin' hypocrite.

If he really believed that, then he should have stuck around for his execution in Damascus twelve years earlier, and not escaped over the city wall with the help of fellow disciples.

No wonder most of them didn't trust him.

amy31416
01-01-2011, 02:52 PM
So if Christians use that Romans 13 passage to justify being weenies who cower before authority, why are so many Christians hating on Obama, when they were mostly smitten with Bush? He got elected, and pretty much does the same crap that Bush did.

(Being a "secret Muslim" probably doesn't cut it, given that there's no distinction made in the bible that "rulers" must be Christian--I don't think.)

ETA: And damn, if there was ever a passage in the bible that "proved" to me that the bible isn't purely divine, that'd be it!

GunnyFreedom
01-01-2011, 02:57 PM

Romans 13 has to be understood in context, PLUS the KJV translation is a little misleading.

I prefer the Murdock's translation of the Syriac Peshitto for some passages.

“Let every soul be subject to the authorities of magistracy. For there is no authority which is not from God: and the authorities which exist, are established by God.” Romans 13:1, Mur.

The Magistrate only has certain specific authority from God, and those relate to crime and justice. The first outlay of what authority civil government has is found in Genesis 9, and that is clarified right through up to the Messiah saying "Render unto Caesar what is Caesar's and render unto God what is God's."

In other words, we should not resist what authority God has put into the magistrate's hand. That is, murder, rape, assault, theft, fraud, etc.

Where the KJV gets unclear (by failing to distinguish 'authority' and 'higher powers') is that it fails to specify that what we should be obeying is specifically what authority God gives these higher powers. The KJV (and several other derivative translations) simply says "obey the higher powers" and then goes off on how we should obey the authority.

However, the autograph (as seen in the Murdock translation) specifies the authority granted to the magistrate, and continues that it is not the magistrate...but that authority which we should obey.

So we as Christians should only be obeying the authority which the magistrate RIGHTFULLY claims.

Continuing Romans 13 from the Murdock translation:

“Whosoever therefore resisteth the power, resisteth the ordinance of God: and they that resist shall receive to themselves damnation. For rulers are not a terror to good works, but to the evil. Wilt thou then not be afraid of the power? do that which is good, and thou shalt have praise of the same: For he is the minister of God to thee for good. But if thou do that which is evil, be afraid; for he beareth not the sword in vain: for he is the minister of God, a revenger to execute wrath upon him that doeth evil.” Romans 13:2-4, KJV.

Note, even Murdock is not quite right -- the word "power" above is not the same word as 'higher powers' but rather it's the same word as 'authority' in vs 1.

You have to remember that the KJV was commissioned by King James of England, who had a distinct motive to cause his people to 'obey' his rule. The KJV is in most places an excellent and poetic translation, but wherever it would give people the courage to defy the state, the translation somehow gets garbled. Whenever there is a possibility that an unclear translation could lead to making people loyal to government, the unclear translation is rendered.

The particular problem with Romans 13 is that most humans who ever lived seem to have a sheeple mindset, and therefore the chapter was rendered from a sheeple perspective. Thus the vast majority of translations produce this "obey the government" notion that is not really (IMHO) supported by the Greek or the Aramaic originals.

In the Greek, I can see a clear delineation between the concept of 'authority' which is from God, and the 'rulers' which receive only specific authority from God. It is that specific authority which we should submit to, and not the actual rulers. The distinction is important, appears to be quite clear to me in the originals, and is sadly quite lost in almost every English translation I can readily find.

Anti Federalist
01-02-2011, 07:41 AM
Thanks Glen^^^

pacelli
01-02-2011, 09:12 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ebcNj6YcRzw

Nate-ForLiberty
01-02-2011, 09:38 AM
haha, they're using Rock Band instruments. lol I just played that game for the first time over the holidays. Actually a lot of fun.

Anti Federalist
06-26-2011, 10:34 PM
Vampire bump

Nate-ForLiberty
06-26-2011, 10:43 PM
original op video removed from utube LOL!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XeQUlr4Xc3s&feature=related

Anti Federalist
06-26-2011, 10:47 PM
original op video removed from utube LOL!

Thanks for the update.

OP fixed.

hillbilly123069
06-26-2011, 10:57 PM
Havent read through any of this. Would like to say this. Follow the law, the US Constitution is the highest law of this country and it spells out any laws passed violating ANY part of the constitution is NULL and VOID.
Also, the elected leaders of this country are violating the constitution(law) daily. If they are not in office honorably and honestly, and I know we all have thoughts about that, they are not our rightful reps.
Also, we lead this country by example, or we're supposed to. It is our elected officials duty to implement the will of the people, not personal ideology.

MikeStanart
06-26-2011, 11:26 PM
Romans 13 has to be understood in context, PLUS the KJV translation is a little misleading.

I prefer the Murdock's translation of the Syriac Peshitto for some passages.

The Magistrate only has certain specific authority from God, and those relate to crime and justice. The first outlay of what authority civil government has is found in Genesis 9, and that is clarified right through up to the Messiah saying "Render unto Caesar what is Caesar's and render unto God what is God's."

In other words, we should not resist what authority God has put into the magistrate's hand. That is, murder, rape, assault, theft, fraud, etc.

Where the KJV gets unclear (by failing to distinguish 'authority' and 'higher powers') is that it fails to specify that what we should be obeying is specifically what authority God gives these higher powers. The KJV (and several other derivative translations) simply says "obey the higher powers" and then goes off on how we should obey the authority.

However, the autograph (as seen in the Murdock translation) specifies the authority granted to the magistrate, and continues that it is not the magistrate...but that authority which we should obey.

So we as Christians should only be obeying the authority which the magistrate RIGHTFULLY claims.

Continuing Romans 13 from the Murdock translation:

Note, even Murdock is not quite right -- the word "power" above is not the same word as 'higher powers' but rather it's the same word as 'authority' in vs 1.

You have to remember that the KJV was commissioned by King James of England, who had a distinct motive to cause his people to 'obey' his rule. The KJV is in most places an excellent and poetic translation, but wherever it would give people the courage to defy the state, the translation somehow gets garbled. Whenever there is a possibility that an unclear translation could lead to making people loyal to government, the unclear translation is rendered.

The particular problem with Romans 13 is that most humans who ever lived seem to have a sheeple mindset, and therefore the chapter was rendered from a sheeple perspective. Thus the vast majority of translations produce this "obey the government" notion that is not really (IMHO) supported by the Greek or the Aramaic originals.

In the Greek, I can see a clear delineation between the concept of 'authority' which is from God, and the 'rulers' which receive only specific authority from God. It is that specific authority which we should submit to, and not the actual rulers. The distinction is important, appears to be quite clear to me in the originals, and is sadly quite lost in almost every English translation I can readily find.

Yeah, clearly there is more to this verse than meets the eye. Statists who use this line can be easily refuted by saying: "Hitler was once a ruler who massacred Jews, would it have been proper to "Obey" your rulers then as well?"

Vessol
06-26-2011, 11:41 PM
Is there a MP3 down loadable version? I feel like being masochistic.

Anti Federalist
06-27-2011, 12:26 AM
Is there a MP3 down loadable version? I feel like being masochistic.

Google "YouTube to MP3 converter".

S.Shorland
06-27-2011, 05:44 AM
Well they do say 'Christ is authority'.

swiftfoxmark2
06-27-2011, 07:17 AM
All my fellow Christians need to remember that it is the State that has instituted mass persecution and oppression of Christians. The Roman government, by and large, protected followers of the Way (read Acts) as much as they could until the time of Nero. After that, the Roman government treated Christianity as a threat to the State.

I haven't heard the song myself, but as long as they are saying the God is the supreme authority and that we must obey Him, then I'm fine with the song itself. But when you have a choice in the governing authorities who rule over you, we should be mindful of what happens when the State is given free reign to handle religious matters. The fact is, atheist regimes (Stalin, Mao, Pol Pot, etc.) have killed more people than any theocratic regime in human history.

And while this may make the argument for establishing good Christian men in power, I argue that we've tried that again and again and found it to be an utter failure. What we need is less power in the hands of men in general because Christians are like any other people group: a few winners and a lot of losers. (The last comment is courtesy of George Carlin's bit on children).

AFPVet
06-27-2011, 09:03 AM
Once more, the authorities which the Bible talks about are in the context of righteousness. Governments who do not obey God are not technically righteous; however, as a free people, we choose to obey governments as means of working together — since our government was of the people and by the people.

TomtheTinker
06-27-2011, 09:08 AM
If the founders obeyed we would have a country.

LibertyEagle
06-27-2011, 09:12 AM

I knew I could count on you for a great response. ROFL.

flightlesskiwi
06-27-2011, 11:03 AM
imo, at the most innocent (and i'll leave it there), this was not a very well thought-out endeavor. for starters, "respect" and "obey" are two very different things. also, what is meant but "success"? i could go on, but, hey, they're kids. :rolleyes:

the gospel message is simple, but it isn't dumb. on the same line, how the gospel is played out in an individual's life is not simple, it's complex. because of my understanding of this, i would never teach my children in such a blanket-covering way and i take issue with anyone who does.

along the lines of the lyrics: there are "authorities" that would seek to cause harm, and i would never expect my children to respect nor obey such "authorities". would the parents of those children?? by virtue of being a steward-parent, i would hope not!

this just emphasizes to me that helping my children to think critically and logically is vital. if one is a critical thinker who seeks their own knowledge, the "who" and "what" will not be sufficient.

i also think this video would be a great teaching tool for me to show my kids that life isn't as simple as some would have them believe and that they need to continually be aware of that. and how: bad message + bad music + no talent + disposable income = bad bad bad bad.