PDA

View Full Version : Chinese Real Estate Bubble?

Brian4Liberty
12-31-2010, 01:06 PM
Is it a bubble? Inflation? Government stimulus in the form of lending?

China's Real-Estate Frenzy

By HUGO RESTALL

Hong Kong

Last week I sold an apartment in Beijing for more than 2.5 times what I paid for it five years and three months ago. When I asked the buyer why he was optimistic about real estate, he explained that land was limited in Chinese cities and government policies would keep the market going up.
It's impossible to say definitively that a market has strayed into bubble territory until after the collapse. But prices rising out of the reach of average buyers is one indicator. Housing prices in the U.S. peaked at 6.4 times average annual earnings this decade. In Beijing, the figure is 22 times.
The wealth itself comes from the credit machine that drives China's investment-led economy. Fixed-asset investment grew 23.5% this year, and it is forecast to grow 20% next year. After 2008, Beijing paid lip service to the need to rebalance the economy in favor of consumption instead of investment. Meanwhile it doubled down on investment, with a stimulus package for 2009, equivalent to 15% of GDP, that was made up mostly of bank loans. The torrid pace of lending continued this year.

Pushing loans out the door throws off large amounts of cash to the managers and cadres involved, which they then use to buy apartments. For instance, local governments depend on the revenue from land redevelopment, and the officials then take a cut and buy property. As long as the music keeps playing, everyone keeps dancing.
More:

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052970204527804576043580256245602.html?m od=rss_opinion_main

jclay2
12-31-2010, 02:14 PM
Is china in a bubble?

Is the pope catholic?

libertybrewcity
12-31-2010, 06:06 PM
it may or may not be a bubble. it is really hard to tell because we don't live there. is there a lot of real estate that isn't being sold? how long is it on the market on average?

the chinese economy is flourishing. people are moving in from the countryside to the cities. the chinese don't really like loans like americans do, so i suspect the people that are buying can actually afford the real estate. that is a major difference.

Brian4Liberty
12-31-2010, 07:36 PM
it may or may not be a bubble. it is really hard to tell because we don't live there. is there a lot of real estate that isn't being sold? how long is it on the market on average?

the chinese economy is flourishing. people are moving in from the countryside to the cities. the chinese don't really like loans like americans do, so i suspect the people that are buying can actually afford the real estate. that is a major difference.

According to the article, real estate is almost an alternative currency over there, so it's rise would be similar to gold. Maybe not a bubble, but still driven by the collapse of other currencies and lack of other options. Well, with the additional factor that they injected 15% of their GDP into the economy via government loans, and that money seems to have been invested straight into real estate by the privileged and connected. Where does the Chinese government get it's money? Is it inflating it's currency to make those loans? Then it would be a familiar pattern.