PDA

View Full Version : TSA official-it's a federal crime to film pat-downs.

teacherone
12-31-2010, 06:37 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XpqT59cI-Fw&feature=player_embedded

Gulf Activists Harassed By TSA Agents Who Claim Filming Is Illegal
Wed Dec 29 2010 15:40

The Intel Hub

As anger against the TSA has mounted, many have wondered if activists will be specifically targeted in an attempt to scare and intimidate them. No subject has been bigger than the gulf disaster and it looks as one of the groups who exposed the extensive use of Corexit9500 in the gulf have fallen victim to TSA tyranny.

When Matt Smith, Gavin Garrison, and Heather Rally of Project Gulf Impact arrived at Ontario Airport in California Tuesday evening to board a plane headed back to the Gulf of Mexico, all three of them were pulled aside by TSA agents and patted down. Coincidentally, they were the only three people pulled out of the security lines.

Matt was the first to be let goand he immediately began filming Gavin and Heather in the holding cell. As he was filming, a TSA Security officer walked up and began to yell at him to turn the camera off and was quoted as saying:

“TSA doesn’t want stuff like this to end up on youtube”

When Matt informed him that it is perfectly legal to film in a public place, the TSA agent radioed in his supervisor. When the supervisor walked over to Matt and Heather, he informed Matt that it was a FEDERAL OFFENSE to film security in airports.

When Heather and Matt challenged this, he grew increasingly angry. He continued repeating that it was a federal offense yet when he was questioned about the law he was unable to provide an answer.

http://beforeitsnews.com/story/330/994/Gulf_Activists_Harassed_By_TSA_Agents_Who_Claim_Fi lming_Is_Illegal.html

Matt Collins
12-31-2010, 10:59 AM
Cite the law.

angelatc
12-31-2010, 11:11 AM
They just make up their own rules and laws as they go - we've seen it before. They're taken these people who weren't able to get jobs as ditchdiggers and given them badges. They're quite impressed with themselves and demand respect.

http://articles.cnn.com/2010-11-25/tech/shooting.video.tsa_1_tsa-s-office-tsa-checkpoints-shooting-video?_s=PM:TECH

TSA says on its blog: "If you are taking pictures at or near the checkpoint, don't be surprised if someone (TSA, airport police, or a curious passenger) asks you what you're up to. We don't prohibit public, passengers or press from photographing, videotaping, or filming at screening locations. You can take pictures at our checkpoints as long as you're not interfering with the screening process or slowing things down.

"We also ask that you do not film or take pictures of our monitors. However, while the TSA does not prohibit photographs at screening locations, local laws, state statutes, or local ordinances might. Your best bet is to call ahead and see what that specific airport's policy is."

Wednesday on NetworkWorld.com, "Ms. Smith," the site's privacy and security blogger, wrote about what you can do if threatened with arrest when recording video at TSA checkpoints.

Smith advises: "If you are flying and decide to turn on your phone to take video of TSA checkpoints, that is legal as long as you do not film the TSA's monitors, or interfere with or slow down the screening process. However, if you do videotape TSA checkpoints, then you should have the TSA public affairs (TSA's Office of Strategic Communications) number plugged into your phone: 571-227-2829.

"Another important phone number to have with you is the TSA's Office of Civil Rights at 571-227-1917. It all depends where you are and if the police or TSA agents know the law."

Matt Collins
12-31-2010, 11:44 AM
They just make up their own rules and laws as they go - we've seen it before. You might be more right than you know. I've been told by several law school students (who are in top law schools in the US) that the "regulatory" branch of federal government can just make up rules whenever they want without any notice and can change them at any time without any justification....

AFPVet
12-31-2010, 01:12 PM
The government makes up laws all the time—in the name of 'general welfare'. However, I do know that under the national security and espionage acts, individuals must surrender 'unauthorized' photography of military installations—but it says nothing about 'airport security'.

Romulus
12-31-2010, 01:17 PM
I like how they word that on their site.. you can take pictures, but don't do it. Someone might ask (force and arrest you) to stop. But you are allowed to take pictures.

Anti Federalist
12-31-2010, 01:50 PM
I like how they word that on their site.. you can take pictures, but don't do it. Someone might ask (force and arrest you) to stop. But you are allowed to take pictures.

Gooferment sez: Don't you dare film us! Oh, by the way, were erecting another 10,000 security cameras to film you 24/7.

1984 is goddamn right.

RM918
12-31-2010, 02:18 PM
Wow, there's a TSA Office of Civil Rights? That's hilarious.

Romulus
01-01-2011, 07:29 AM
Cite the law.

What, do you think we are a nation of laws? .... Filming the TSA is a threat to National Security!

SpiritOf1776_J4
01-01-2011, 07:44 AM
It will continue until TSA starts being charged with crimes.

These prosecutors below have already said they'd file charges. A grand jury can also indict - if they know their full rights and power. There needs to be indictments to stop it.

http://www.montrealgazette.com/news/Calif+prosecutors+they+charge+agents+downs+inappro priate/3845612/story.html

Matt Collins
04-22-2011, 04:08 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5bFl4H-toyU&feature=player_embedded

AFPVet
04-22-2011, 04:23 PM
I just hope that Ron Paul straightens this crap out!

ChaosControl
04-22-2011, 04:49 PM
“TSA doesn’t want stuff like this to end up on youtube”
What's wrong you hypocritical TSA scum, I thought if you had nothing to hide you shouldn't be scared of people seeing stuff?

tpreitzel
04-22-2011, 05:02 PM
Who cares? Keep filming and force the TSA's idiotic assertion into the lap of the SCOTUS. Even if the SCOTUS rules against filming TSA molestations and thereby violates the 1st amendment, keep filming anyway.... If I fly, I'm going to film simply because the TSA wrongfully alleges that I can't. ;)

low preference guy
04-22-2011, 05:03 PM
Who cares? Keep filming and force the TSA's idiotic assertion into the lap of the SCOTUS. Even if the SCOTUS rules against filming TSA molestations and thereby violates the 1st amendment, keep filming anyway.... If I fly, I'm going to film simply because the TSA wrongfully alleges that I can't. ;)

+1

ChaosControl
04-22-2011, 05:05 PM

Yeah, I'd always film. However, I'm never flying because I won't put up with that crap. Going to have to take a freighter ship to get to Asia. :o

Original_Intent
04-22-2011, 05:46 PM
What's wrong you hypocritical TSA scum, I thought if you had nothing to hide you shouldn't be scared of people seeing stuff?

My thought exactly - "What, are you ashamed of what you are doing?"

Original_Intent
04-22-2011, 05:48 PM
Yeah, I'd always film. However, I'm never flying because I won't put up with that crap. Going to have to take a freighter ship to get to Asia. :o

Yeah, I am guessing you would qualify for an enhanced, enhanced pat-down, and possibly nekkid pictures as well.

GunnyFreedom
04-22-2011, 07:44 PM
You might be more right than you know. I've been told by several law school students (who are in top law schools in the US) that the "regulatory" branch of federal government can just make up rules whenever they want without any notice and can change them at any time without any justification....

Precisely why NC HB587 (http://ncleg.net/gascripts/BillLookUp/BillLookUp.pl?Session=2011&BillID=h587), while not nearly as "sexy" as my other bills, is far and away the most important bill I have filed.

Brian4Liberty
04-22-2011, 09:09 PM
Power corrupts. At the highest levels, and the lowest levels.

mrsat_98
04-23-2011, 12:54 AM
Cite the law.

Looked long and hard, best I can come up with is its obstruction of justice not to film them.