PDA

View Full Version : Sisters have life sentence suspended on the condition that one gives kidney to the other

Philhelm
12-30-2010, 10:47 AM
JACKSON, Miss. – For 16 years, sisters Jamie and Gladys Scott have shared a life behind bars for their part in an $11 armed robbery. To share freedom, they must also share a kidney.

Mississippi Gov. Haley Barbour suspended the sisters' life sentences on Wednesday, but 36-year-old Gladys Scott's release is contingent on her giving a kidney to Jamie, her 38-year-old sister, who requires daily dialysis.

The sisters were convicted in 1994 of leading two men into an ambush in central Mississippi the year before. Three teenagers hit each man in the head with a shotgun and took their wallets and making off with only $11, court records said.

Jamie and Gladys Scott were each convicted of two counts of armed robbery and sentenced to two life sentences.

"I think it's a victory," said the sisters' attorney, Chokwe Lumumba. "I talked to Gladys and she's elated about the news. I'm sure Jamie is, too."

Civil rights advocates have for years called for their release, saying the sentences were excessive. Those demands gained traction when Barbour asked the Mississippi Parole Board to take another look at the case.

The Scott sisters are eligible for parole in 2014, but Barbour said prison officials no longer think they are a threat to society and Jamie's medical condition is costing the state a lot of money.

Lumumba said he has no problem with the governor requiring Gladys to offer up her organ because "Gladys actually volunteered that as part of her petition."

Lumumba said it's not clear what caused the kidney failure, but it's likely a combination of different illnesses over the years.

Barbour spokesman Dan Turner told The Associated Press that Jamie Scott was released because she needs the transplant. He said Gladys Scott will be released if she agrees to donate her kidney because of the significant risk and recovery time.

"She wanted to do it," Turner said. "That wasn't something we introduced."

Barbour is a Republican in his second term who has been mentioned as a possible presidential contender in 2012. He said the parole board agreed with the indefinite suspension of their sentences, which is different from a pardon or commutation because it comes with conditions.

The article is continued:
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20101230/ap_on_re_us/us_sisters_pardon_kidney

Apparently there are a couple of stories here, one being whether they should have had a life sentence to begin with. The article mentions that they had hit two men over the head with shotguns and had only stolen $11. While it was made into a civil rights issue, there was no mention of the damage, if any, inflicted upon the victims of the crime (getting clubbed with a shotgun is no joke).

In any case, I was most interested in the release being conditional upon the one sister donating her kidney to the other. While it apparently was strictly voluntary, and had been brought up by the one sister, the situation seems a bit sinister in its implications. While the governor may have agreed to release them due to pressure from civil rights groups, it had also mentioned concerns of the monetary cost that the sister with the failed kidney imposed. There are certainly different factors at work here, but ultimately, I don't like the idea of people volunteering (or "volunteering") to have their organs harvested as a condition of release.

evilfunnystuff
12-30-2010, 05:08 PM
Yeah, this is messed up on a few levels.

jmdrake
12-30-2010, 06:02 PM
Weird story. They certainly shouldn't have received life for a single armed robbery where nobody was seriously hurt (at least from what I can see from the description). Was this some sort of "three strikes" deal? I'm not sure why one sister would need to be induced to give a kidney to the other. If it was my brother I'd donate the kidney without any reward. I'd be very concerned if the condition was to donate to some third party.

james1906
12-30-2010, 07:31 PM
Barbour better hope they don't go to Washington State and kill a bunch of cops.

satchelmcqueen
12-30-2010, 07:52 PM
they robbed a guy and hit him in the head with a shotgun. i say they should be in jail longer. what if that was you or your loved one?

dannno
12-30-2010, 08:29 PM
they robbed a guy and hit him in the head with a shotgun. i say they should be in jail longer. what if that was you or your loved one?

Longer than 22 years? Really? They went to jail when they were 16, they are 38 now.. their entire ability to procreate has been taken, what more do you want? You think they're going to try that shit again and risk getting out of jail when they are 60? When you go to jail for a long time you're losing a good portion of the better years of your life.

ARealConservative
12-30-2010, 08:41 PM
this was an economic decision too. kidney dialysis is pretty expensive

Anti Federalist
12-30-2010, 09:19 PM
There's something missing here, this story is weird.

Life convictions as juveniles, or even juveniles tried as adults?

And this is telling, probably the whole crux of the issue:

Jamie's medical condition is costing the state a lot of money.

Although I fail to see how releasing them is going to negate the taxpayers from paying for this anyway.

With her health issues and felony record, she'll never hold a job or obtain insurance, so the state will end up paying in any case, or they'll just refuse, and essentially turn a life sentence into a death sentence.

Maybe that's the point of all this.

RonPaulFanInGA
12-30-2010, 09:22 PM
Longer than 22 years? Really? They went to jail when they were 16, they are 38 now.. their entire ability to procreate has been taken, what more do you want?

Might want to read it again. They were in jail for 16 years; not sent to jail at 16 years old.

For 16 years, sisters Jamie and Gladys Scott have shared a life behind bars....

Meaning they were around 20 and 22 years old at the time of the crime.

Anti Federalist
12-30-2010, 09:32 PM
Might want to read it again. They were in jail for 16 years; not sent to jail at 16 years old.

Meaning they were 20 and 22 years old at the time of the crime.

Yeah, I read that wrong as well.