PDA

View Full Version : Study: Whether mom works or not, the kids are OK

teacherone
12-30-2010, 04:33 AM
Whether mom works or not, the kids are OK

CHICAGO (MarketWatch) — Parents who worry they are forever damaging their children by dropping them off at day-care every morning can find some comfort in a recent study that looked at academic achievement and behavioral issues of children whose mothers work outside the home versus those with moms who stay home.

An analysis of 50 years of research found that kids of working mothers don’t turn out to be much different than those with stay-at-home moms, at least when it comes to academic achievement and behavior issues.

The research, published in November in Psychological Bulletin, examined 69 studies conducted between 1960 and March 2010. The good news is that, overall, children whose mothers return to work early in their lives (before age three) are no more likely to have significant behavior or academic problems than kids whose moms stay at home.

However, the researchers did find some small effects — positive and negative — when they broke the results down into various sub-groups of children. Kids from middle- and upper-class, two-parent families performed slightly worse on formal tests of achievement and showed a slight increase in behavior problems when their mothers worked full-time during the first three years of their lives. And children from low-income, single-parent families actually did better on achievement tests and had fewer behavior problems when their moms were employed.

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/whether-mom-works-or-not-the-kids-are-ok-2010-12-30

Natalie
12-30-2010, 12:03 PM
//

specsaregood
12-30-2010, 12:06 PM
But are the Moms ok? I mean, think of all the time with their kids that they gave up that they will never get back.

ItsTime
12-30-2010, 12:07 PM
Well they set the measuring stick deep inside a pile of shit and and started measuring from there. Have test scores and behavioral problems gone down or up since the wave of working mothers?

endwellmom4RON
12-30-2010, 02:03 PM
I do not for one second believe this study. I am convinced that the feminist movement and mother's leaving their children in the hands of strangers is to a large extent one of the main causes of America's downfall.

dannno
12-30-2010, 02:10 PM
I do not for one second believe this study. I am convinced that the feminist movement and mother's leaving their children in the hands of strangers is to a large extent one of the main causes of America's downfall.

You should read it again carefully, especially the part in bold, I think the OP is trying to show how the results have been skewed.

The results seem to indicate that middle class+ children do better on tests and have less behavioral issues when their moms stay home.

Children whose parents are poor do better if their mom works, but they do worse if their mom doesn't work (i.e. she is probably on welfare)

So the skew seems to come from welfare parents who stay home, they drag the overall results down because they are considered "stay-at-home" when in fact they are government supported.

SovereignMN
12-30-2010, 02:44 PM
The attitudes towards family has really gone downhill since mothers started dropping their kids off with strangers. Little Billy and Little Sally see their mom drive away every morning and they are trained to think that pursuing the things of this world is more important than spending time with family.

Anti Federalist
12-30-2010, 02:49 PM
Already a few good responses in this thread.

Of course the system is going to try and convince everybody that nothing is wrong with kids who have no parent at home.

The system was behind the push to get women in the workforce in the first place.

When that pool of new wage slaves dried up, they moved on to immigrants.

agitator
12-30-2010, 02:58 PM
Just don't leave the kids with uncle Ernie. He fiddles about...

Natalie
12-30-2010, 03:12 PM
//

angelatc
12-30-2010, 03:19 PM

Me either. It was probably done by a working Mom seeking to quash her guilty feelings.

angelatc
12-30-2010, 03:23 PM
Already a few good responses in this thread.

Of course the system is going to try and convince everybody that nothing is wrong with kids who have no parent at home.

The system was behind the push to get women in the workforce in the first place.

When that pool of new wage slaves dried up, they moved on to immigrants.

That was the early 90's. I was working, and wages were starting to rise high enough that a lot of women I worked with were quitting to stay home. Then the immigration gates burst open, and wages stagnated.

angelatc
12-30-2010, 03:24 PM
This study says children in day care are more likely to experience behavioral problems. "The more time children spent in child care from birth to age four-and-a-half, the more adults tended to rate them, both at age four-and-a-half and at kindergarten, as less likely to get along with others, as more assertive, as disobedient, and as aggressive." http://www.nichd.nih.gov/news/releases/child_care.cfm

Yes, but sadly, those are the traits that are rewarded later in life.