PDA

View Full Version : Better than the paper in your wallet. What's the current 'spot price' of FOREVER paper?

goldenequity
12-29-2010, 10:05 PM
Of course you should prefer investing in metals...
however... this paper....

All new first-class stamps to be 'Forever Stamps'
http://i2.cdn.turner.com/money/2010/12/29/news/companies/usps_forever_stamps/usps_forever_stamps.top.jpg
Beginning next month, all new stamps good for one ounce of first-class mail will be marked with the "Forever" designation instead of a postage rate and will therefore retain their value.

is BETTER...
than the paper in your wallet.

What is the current 'spot price' of Forever stamps?
Could it go down? (not likely)
Are they liquid? (redeemable/refundable/exchangeable)

Putting $1,000 in a BofA Savings accnt vs.
Buying $1,000 of 'Forever' Stamp booklets.

Just say'n.... :p

cindy25
12-29-2010, 10:51 PM
Of course you should prefer investing in metals...
however... this paper....

is BETTER...
than the paper in your wallet.

What is the current 'spot price' of Forever stamps?
Could it go down? (not likely)
Are they liquid? (redeemable/refundable/exchangeable)

Putting $1,000 in a BofA Savings accnt vs.
Buying $1,000 of 'Forever' Stamp booklets.

Just say'n.... :p

the problem is the resale price of stamps is around 88%, as the post office does not buy back stamps. I would suggest a years supply before any rate hike.

wormyguy
12-29-2010, 10:57 PM
Well, snail mail is fast going obsolete, so you may find they do not have as much demand in the future as you might have hoped . . .

Of course, this (making all future postage "forever") is a stupid idea, since it means that postage rates will have to be increased even faster in the future to cope with all the letters that have to be mailed at a loss.

cindy25
12-29-2010, 11:02 PM
Well, snail mail is fast going obsolete, so you may find they do not have as much demand in the future as you might have hoped . . .

Of course, this (making all future postage "forever") is a stupid idea, since it means that postage rates will have to be increased even faster in the future to cope with all the letters that have to be mailed at a loss.

forever stamps make sense; easy accounting, and it encourages people to buy stamps they don't need. stamps that will in time be destroyed by fires, floods, stamps that will be tossed by error, stamps some brat with play with as expensive stickers.

Dr.3D
12-29-2010, 11:10 PM
Should be fine until the U.S. Postal service goes out of business.

Corydoras
12-30-2010, 01:04 AM
I think the only times people need first-class stamps nowdays are for showy Christmas cards and wedding invitations, where opulence in stationery is part of the point.

So unless you're getting married or you have a big Christmas card list, not a real good buy!

tangent4ronpaul
12-30-2010, 08:41 AM
Actually a real good buy. I believe they are .42 each now, and the price is going no where but up. If it hits $1 a stamp, sell um for 90 cents and you've doubled your money.

-t