PDA

View Full Version : Flashbulb Moment - I hate my job

ApathyCuredRP
12-29-2010, 04:20 PM
Hey All (yes I meant Flashbulb Moment :p ),

I am a long time lurker and post rarely. I have been following the forums and libertarian articles / ideas over the last few years. I enjoy learning and debating what I feel passionate about. I can spend 6 hours or more a day researching and reading various topics online without ever being bored or thinking twice about it. I easily spend an hour a day at work during my "mental breaks" searching through the web for libertarian news.

Today, I just realized I hate what I do for a living. Don't get me wrong, I have been unhappy with it for awhile, but I always convinced myself "it is a means to an end".

I graduated through college with great grades and obtained my Masters in Accounting. Shortly thereafter, I spent approximately 300 hours studying for the Certified Public Accounting test and passed all four sections. Throughout college, the professors brainwash you into thinking that a Big Four accounting firm is the best avenue to pursue for an accounting degree. I currently am a CPA for one of these big firms.

I find no fullfillment in what I do. Constantly auditing the past and providing assurance to investors out there that the numbers they are reading on the reporting statements are reasonably accurate. What for? The whole system is corrupt. The market is not free. Information is not available to everyone.

As I write this, I am at my job, debating quitting within the week (January - April is hell for auditors in order to meet year end filing dates ... work on average 60-65 hours a week).

I would give up a decent salary not having a job replacement lined up. Quite frankly, I don't think I would want to enter another treadmill regardless. So that leads me with my current thought. Teach myself as much as I can about libertarianism / fiscal conservatism. Embrace what I am passionate about and enjoy life by doing something that doesn't feel like work.

I am telling you all this for two reasons:

1. To get everyone's opinion and maybe a discussion going about entering the political spectrum. How hard it is. The best avenue to start. Etc.

2. What is a good listing of books to read regarding our favorite topics. I have, of course, already read Ron Paul's books two times over. What are some other great sources besides current news.

Thanks for your help. Stay strong with the ideas of liberty!

Edit: Sp.

pacelli
12-29-2010, 04:30 PM
I'd strongly urge you to develop some kind of a plan for money, if you will need it within the next few years. Whether that plan involves politics, bartering, gold, silver, or even the dreaded FRN, have some type of plan.

Talk to Gunny about the difficulties and benefits of entering the political realm locally.

wizardwatson
12-29-2010, 04:30 PM
I'm a programmer for the state tax department and have had similar thoughts about the work being unfulfilling. I just keep reminding myself that all jobs suck, and that I have a family to support. I was most happy at a job flipping burgers with co-workers at a drive-thru joint when I was 16. But that was more about the company I was keeping.

MN Patriot
12-29-2010, 04:42 PM
I'm a programmer for the state tax department and have had similar thoughts about the work being unfulfilling. I just keep reminding myself that all jobs suck, and that I have a family to support. I was most happy at a job flipping burgers with co-workers at a drive-thru joint when I was 16. But that was more about the company I was keeping.

Work would suck less if we weren't tax slaves and got to keep the money we earn. But our economy and financial system is based on tax slavery, so ending the income tax is probably wishful thinking. Just like having a career that a person actually enjoys.

ApathyCuredRP
12-29-2010, 04:44 PM
I can easily get by for next few years from my savings. I have sizable weight of a certain metal as well that would take 9 men who can each lift 100 ounces to move. In terms of money, I can get by for next few years and possibly even add to wealth with returns on various instruments.

ApathyCuredRP
12-29-2010, 04:45 PM
I'd strongly urge you to develop some kind of a plan for money, if you will need it within the next few years. Whether that plan involves politics, bartering, gold, silver, or even the dreaded FRN, have some type of plan.

Talk to Gunny about the difficulties and benefits of entering the political realm locally.

I will reach out to Gunny, thanks for the tip.

Austrian Econ Disciple
12-29-2010, 04:47 PM
Apathy I think you sincerely need to watch this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JsY2RkslsVw

agitator
12-29-2010, 04:51 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XMOmB1q8W4Y

ApathyCuredRP
12-29-2010, 04:55 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XMOmB1q8W4Y

LOL , thanks for the laugh !

lynnf
12-29-2010, 05:39 PM
Hey All (yes I meant Flashbulb Moment :p ),

I am a long time lurker and post rarely. I have been following the forums and libertarian articles / ideas over the last few years. I enjoy learning and debating what I feel passionate about. I can spend 6 hours or more a day researching and reading various topics online without ever being bored or thinking twice about it. I easily spend an hour a day at work during my "mental breaks" searching through the web for libertarian news.

Today, I just realized I hate what I do for a living. Don't get me wrong, I have been unhappy with it for awhile, but I always convinced myself "it is a means to an end".

I graduated through college with great grades and obtained my Masters in Accounting. Shortly thereafter, I spent approximately 300 hours studying for the Certified Public Accounting test and passed all four sections. Throughout college, the professors brainwash you into thinking that a Big Four accounting firm is the best avenue to pursue for an accounting degree. I currently am a CPA for one of these big firms.

I find no fullfillment in what I do. Constantly auditing the past and providing assurance to investors out there that the numbers they are reading on the reporting statements are reasonably accurate. What for? The whole system is corrupt. The market is not free. Information is not available to everyone.

As I write this, I am at my job, debating quitting within the week (January - April is hell for auditors in order to meet year end filing dates ... work on average 60-65 hours a week).

I would give up a decent salary not having a job replacement lined up. Quite frankly, I don't think I would want to enter another treadmill regardless. So that leads me with my current thought. Teach myself as much as I can about libertarianism / fiscal conservatism. Embrace what I am passionate about and enjoy life by doing something that doesn't feel like work.

I am telling you all this for two reasons:

1. To get everyone's opinion and maybe a discussion going about entering the political spectrum. How hard it is. The best avenue to start. Etc.

2. What is a good listing of books to read regarding our favorite topics. I have, of course, already read Ron Paul's books two times over. What are some other great sources besides current news.

Thanks for your help. Stay strong with the ideas of liberty!

Edit: Sp.

perhaps you could do good by getting a job investigating some kind of crime using accounting skills. remember, it was the accountants that brought Al Capone down!
wouldn't recommend the Feds, though.

keep the faith! there's a reason that you are having these thoughts and I pray that the reason why will be revealed to you.

lynn

Maximus
12-29-2010, 06:05 PM
http://www.amazon.com/Good-Company-Corporate-Chastity-Obedience/dp/1580510817/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1293667493&sr=8-1

GunnyFreedom
12-30-2010, 08:48 PM
perhaps you could do good by getting a job investigating some kind of crime using accounting skills. remember, it was the accountants that brought Al Capone down!
wouldn't recommend the Feds, though.

keep the faith! there's a reason that you are having these thoughts and I pray that the reason why will be revealed to you.

lynn

Seriously, forensic accounting is a skill I'd give my left arm for in the next two years lol. ;)

GunnyFreedom
12-30-2010, 08:54 PM
I will reach out to Gunny, thanks for the tip.

As to entering local politics, as annoying and distasteful as it sounds, the best first step is getting active at your local, county level GOP organization. Believe it or not, MOST candidates don't bother showing up at their local GOP meetings until after they are half way through a campaign. Even if they agree with some other candidate 100% and you only 70%, they will support you over him if you have a history of showing up to the meetings. That's a huge thing.

So even if you don't know exactly what election you will be running for, the best thing you can be doing right now is laying the foundation for a run by ingratiating yourself to the local GOP through attending their county meetings. You don't even have to be cagey about what you believe. You might want to try the Rand Paul approach, of course, and tone down anything extraordinarily controversial, but don't worry about gong "stealth" as to your platform and who you support. That seems to do more harm than good.

ApathyCuredRP
12-30-2010, 09:13 PM
As to entering local politics, as annoying and distasteful as it sounds, the best first step is getting active at your local, county level GOP organization. Believe it or not, MOST candidates don't bother showing up at their local GOP meetings until after they are half way through a campaign. Even if they agree with some other candidate 100% and you only 70%, they will support you over him if you have a history of showing up to the meetings. That's a huge thing.

So even if you don't know exactly what election you will be running for, the best thing you can be doing right now is laying the foundation for a run by ingratiating yourself to the local GOP through attending their county meetings. You don't even have to be cagey about what you believe. You might want to try the Rand Paul approach, of course, and tone down anything extraordinarily controversial, but don't worry about gong "stealth" as to your platform and who you support. That seems to do more harm than good.

I appreciate the advice. And yes, I would love to audit the fed personally :)

james1906
12-30-2010, 09:15 PM
How about handling taxes for non-profits for reduced rates? Non-profits are overburdened with paperwork to maintain a non-profit status.