PDA

View Full Version : Twenty police respond to man playing with crossbow in his backyard, seize house

tangent4ronpaul
12-29-2010, 07:32 AM
http://www.examiner.com/la-county-libertarian-in-los-angeles/twenty-police-respond-to-man-playing-with-crossbow-his-backyard-seize-house

A scuffle outside a Lincoln, Nebraska mobile home turned into a demand to search inside the home after the homeowner was arrested for allegedly assaulting police. Gary Grana was initially accused of shooting a bow and arrow inside city limits after a neighbor called police. The police came to the home and demanded Grana's ID, and according to events featured in a youtube video, Grana believed police had no just cause to demand his ID. The video, posted by youtube user corneliuscomedy, currently has 304 views and is titled Police State. The compelling 20 minute video, recorded by Grana's wife, begins with footage of her front porch with officers piled on top of her husband. She repeatedly demands to know what they are doing and why they are hurting him, that he didn't do anything wrong.

UPDATE 12/26/10: Hours after going viral, 'Police State' crossbow video yanked from youtube

At minute eight, a male officer wearing a black uniform, bulletproof vest and black ski cap comes and asks the woman to 'do him a favor', come outside to talk to someone. She says "No, I'm not gonna do that, my daughter's inside the house, I'm gonna stay right here." "Well how old is your daughter? he asks. "Does that matter?" she replies. The cop, whose demeanor then becomes physically agitated, is clearly outraged that someone refuses to answer his question, and demands "Actually it does, I want to know how old your daughter is". "She's young enough for me not to want to leave the house" the mom replies."I'm just asking a simple question maam, how old is she?" the officer pleads. "I don't have to answer questions though, I need to know what's going on", she replies. The fact the woman knows her rights seems to disarm the agressive manner of the officer. Regarding the alleged bow and arrow activity in the front yard, the officer says "you can't do that; you can't shoot a firearm within city limits", oddly referring to a crossbow as a 'firearm'.

sailingaway
12-29-2010, 07:37 AM
I think crossbows are firearms in some states, look at hunting laws. When 'archery' hunting starts before gun hunting, archery often doesn't include 'crossbows' for that purpose. I agree they were being dickish, but they might have a legal definition to fall back on....

However, the house wasn't 'used in the commission of the crime' under any viewpoint I can see, the guy was outside. And the woman did nothing at all wrong.