PDA

View Full Version : EPA issues new clean up guide for CFL bulbs.

Anti Federalist
12-28-2010, 10:27 PM
Before Cleanup

* Have people and pets leave the room, and avoid the breakage area on the way out.
* Open a window or door to the outdoors and leave the room for 5-10 minutes.
* Shut off the central forced-air heating/air conditioning (H&AC) system, if you have one.
* Collect materials you will need to clean up the broken bulb:
o Stiff paper or cardboard
o Sticky tape (e.g., duct tape)
o Damp paper towels or disposable wet wipes (for hard surfaces)
o Glass jar with a metal lid (such as a canning jar) or a sealable plastic bag(s)

Cleanup Steps for Hard Surfaces

* Carefully scoop up glass fragments and powder using stiff paper or cardboard and place debris and paper/cardboard in a glass jar with a metal lid. If a glass jar is not available, use a sealable plastic bag. (NOTE: Since a plastic bag will not prevent the mercury vapor from escaping, remove the plastic bag(s) from the home after cleanup.)
* Use sticky tape, such as duct tape, to pick up any remaining small glass fragments and powder. Place the used tape in the glass jar or plastic bag.
* Wipe the area clean with damp paper towels or disposable wet wipes. Place the towels in the glass jar or plastic bag.
* Vacuuming of hard surfaces during cleanup is not recommended unless broken glass remains after all other cleanup steps have been taken. [NOTE: It is possible that vacuuming could spread mercury-containing powder or mercury vapor, although available information on this problem is limited.] If vacuuming is needed to ensure removal of all broken glass, keep the following tips in mind:
o Keep a window or door to the outdoors open;
o Vacuum the area where the bulb was broken using the vacuum hose, if available; and
o Remove the vacuum bag (or empty and wipe the canister) and seal the bag/vacuum debris, and any materials used to clean the vacuum, in a plastic bag.
* Promptly place all bulb debris and cleanup materials, including vacuum cleaner bags, outdoors in a trash container or protected area until materials can be disposed of properly.
o Check with your local or state government about disposal requirements in your area. Some states and communities require fluorescent bulbs (broken or unbroken) be taken to a local recycling center.
* Wash your hands with soap and water after disposing of the jars or plastic bags containing bulb debris and cleanup materials.
* Continue to air out the room where the bulb was broken and leave the H&AC system shut off, as practical, for several hours.

Cleanup Steps for Carpeting or Rugs

* Carefully scoop up glass fragments and powder using stiff paper or cardboard and place debris and paper/cardboard in a glass jar with a metal lid. If a glass jar is not available, use a sealable plastic bag. (NOTE: Since a plastic bag will not prevent the mercury vapor from escaping, remove the plastic bag(s) from the home after cleanup.)
* Use sticky tape, such as duct tape, to pick up any remaining small glass fragments and powder. Place the used tape in the glass jar or plastic bag.
* Vacuuming of carpeting or rugs during cleanup is not recommended unless broken glass remains after all other cleanup steps have been taken. [NOTE: It is possible that vacuuming could spread mercury-containing powder or mercury vapor, although available information on this problem is limited.] If vacuuming is needed to ensure removal of all broken glass, keep the following tips in mind:
o Keep a window or door to the outdoors open;
o Vacuum the area where the bulb was broken using the vacuum hose, if available, and
o Remove the vacuum bag (or empty and wipe the canister) and seal the bag/vacuum debris, and any materials used to clean the vacuum, in a plastic bag.
* Promptly place all bulb debris and cleanup materials, including vacuum cleaner bags, outdoors in a trash container or protected area until materials can be disposed of properly.
o Check with your local or state government about disposal requirements in your area. Some states and communities require fluorescent bulbs (broken or unbroken) be taken to a local recycling center.
* Wash your hands with soap and water after disposing of the jars or plastic bags containing bulb debris and cleanup materials.
* Continue to air out the room where the bulb was broken and leave the H&AC system shut off, as practical, for several hours.

Future Cleaning of Carpeting or Rugs: Air Out the Room During and After Vacuuming

* The next several times you vacuum the rug or carpet, shut off the H&AC system if you have one, close the doors to other rooms, and open a window or door to the outside before vacuuming. Change the vacuum bag after each use in this area.
* After vacuuming is completed, keep the H&AC system shut off and the window or door to the outside open, as practical, for several hours.

Actions You Can Take to Prevent Broken Compact Fluorescent Light Bulbs
Fluorescent bulbs are made of glass and can break if dropped or roughly handled. To avoid breaking a bulb, follow these general practices:

* Always switch off and allow a working CFL bulb to cool before handling.
* Always handle CFL bulbs carefully to avoid breakage.
o If possible, screw/unscrew the CFL by holding the plastic or ceramic base, not the glass tubing.
o Gently screw in the CFL until snug. Do not over-tighten.
o Never forcefully twist the glass tubing.
* Consider not using CFLs in lamps that can be easily knocked over, in unprotected light fixtures, or in lamps that are incompatible with the spiral or folded shape of many CFLs.
* Do not use CFL bulbs in locations where they can easily be broken, such as play spaces.
* Use CFL bulbs that have a glass or plastic cover over the spiral or folded glass tube, if available. These types of bulbs look more like incandescent bulbs and may be more durable if dropped.
* Consider using a drop cloth (e.g., plastic sheet or beach towel) when changing a fluorescent light bulb in case a breakage should occur. The drop cloth will help prevent mercury contamination of nearby surfaces and can be bundled with the bulb debris for disposal.

http://www.theminorityreportblog.com/2010/12/28/epa-issues-new-guidelines-for-hazardous-compact-fluorescent-light-bulbs-cleanup/

daviddee
12-28-2010, 10:36 PM

Anti Federalist
12-28-2010, 10:43 PM
These bulbs are a classic example of "updated" technology that never needed to be updated.

1. They are more expensive
2. They are a health hazard
3. They do not last as long

#3 is a point that no one seems to discuss.

I tried these bulbs 10+ years ago. One did not work out of the package and the other one was dead within a few months.

Last year, I was given a box of them.

One went into a ceiling fan. Dead after 6 months. The other ones went out into my garage lights. Of the 4 I put in place... 1 is still working.

I estimate the average lifespan to be 6 to 9 months.

-dd

P.S. Don't get me started on "updated" technology... Flat screen TVs are the worst example.

Very valid point.

One of the "green" selling features, is the (presumed) longevity of the bulbs.

My experience has been very similar to yours, many short life/no life CFLs.

HOLLYWOOD
12-28-2010, 10:46 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tv59PJ30WeM

sevin
12-28-2010, 10:48 PM
Very valid point.

One of the "green" selling features, is the (presumed) longevity of the bulbs.

My experience has been very similar to yours, many short life/no life CFLs.

Not saying you guys or wrong or that I'm okay with the govt. forcing us to use them... but I bought a bunch of these several years ago and haven't had to replace a light bulb since.

Regardless, I've been thinking of stocking up on hundreds of the old light bulbs before it's too late. If my wife and I are going to have kids, we don't want these new light bulbs in the house.

TNforPaul45
12-28-2010, 10:50 PM
http://rense.com/1.imagesH/CFL_dees.jpg

Anti Federalist
12-28-2010, 10:58 PM
Not saying you guys or wrong or that I'm okay with the govt. forcing us to use them... but I bought a bunch of these several years ago and haven't had to replace a light bulb since.

Regardless, I've been thinking of stocking up on hundreds of the old light bulbs before it's too late. If my wife and I are going to have kids, we don't want these new light bulbs in the house.

LoL, maybe you bought better quality.

The Chinese made ones I bought over the years lasted for shit.

Matt Collins
12-28-2010, 11:04 PM

Are you sure that isn't MHz?

Bruno
12-28-2010, 11:04 PM
1) Throw old bulb in trash can.
2) Put new bulb in socket.

Matt Collins
12-28-2010, 11:08 PM

I tried these bulbs 10+ years ago. One did not work out of the package and the other one was dead within a few months.

One went into a ceiling fan. Dead after 6 months. The other ones went out into my garage lights. Of the 4 I put in place... 1 is still working.

I estimate the average lifespan to be 6 to 9 months. I still have some in my place that have been running for almost 5 years without being replaced. They are on MOST of the time and yes they are a bit dimmer, but overall they are humming along just fine.

Kylie
12-28-2010, 11:12 PM
Word.

But I have only had to replace two of these in 5 years.

Though, I still have at least 20 of the old bulbs in packages waiting.

I wonder if we can sue for damages from these things when they kill our dogs or something. Since the .gov decided to force us to use them in the first place.

GunnyFreedom
12-28-2010, 11:25 PM
I HATE HATE HATE HATE CFL bulbs (I get headaches, nausea, and light quality is horrid), but they do seem to last half of forever. I live way out in the boondocks and until very recently we had very 'dirty power.' That means major fluctuations, browns and spikes. We were having to buy incandescents by the gross to keep up, sometimes a (top quality!) bulb would blow within hours of installing.

We went to CFL's right when they came out because of our power issue. I hate the bulbs, I hate the light, but they do last for years and years. If not for this Federal mandate crap, then LED bulbs would already be affordable by now! :mad:

I just have to live with headaches and nausea until the LED bulbs (at brightness) are affordable enough to install throughout the house.

But I can assure you that the CFL's do last significantly longer than (modern) incandescent bulbs. My whole house is a case study in control groups and test groups on this very subject.

Doesn't mean I like CFL's. I am just forced to go with CFL's as an alternative to buying a gross of incandescent bulbs per quarter. Now I am buying about half a dozen per year as opposed to 144 per quarter.

I'll probably be down to 2 or 3 a year once I can afford to fill all my sockets with LED lights. until then I'll just have to deal with the headaches and nausea that CFL's generate. :(

TNforPaul45
12-28-2010, 11:32 PM
I HATE HATE HATE HATE CFL bulbs (I get headaches, nausea, and light quality is horrid), but they do seem to last half of forever. I live way out in the boondocks and until very recently we had very 'dirty power.' That means major fluctuations, browns and spikes. We were having to buy incandescents by the gross to keep up, sometimes a (top quality!) bulb would blow within hours of installing.

We went to CFL's right when they came out because of our power issue. I hate the bulbs, I hate the light, but they do last for years and years. If not for this Federal mandate crap, then LED bulbs would already be affordable by now! :mad:

I just have to live with headaches and nausea until the LED bulbs (at brightness) are affordable enough to install throughout the house.

But I can assure you that the CFL's do last significantly longer than (modern) incandescent bulbs. My whole house is a case study in control groups and test groups on this very subject.

Doesn't mean I like CFL's. I am just forced to go with CFL's as an alternative to buying a gross of incandescent bulbs per quarter. Now I am buying about half a dozen per year as opposed to 144 per quarter.

I'll probably be down to 2 or 3 a year once I can afford to fill all my sockets with LED lights. until then I'll just have to deal with the headaches and nausea that CFL's generate. :(

Gunny,

In reference to the picture that I posted above from Rense.com, I am curious about LED lights. I wonder if you have or can try them, maybe in one room, and see if your symptoms go away.

I myself have never experienced any adverse affects from CFL's but I may not have been paying close enough attention. I think that LED bulbs are getting cheap enough now to be affordable to buy 1-3 to see how you/we feel with them.

Anti Federalist
12-28-2010, 11:34 PM
1) Throw old bulb in trash can.
2) Put new bulb in socket.

Eco Criminal.

Reported.

;)

heavenlyboy34
12-28-2010, 11:36 PM
These bulbs are a classic example of "updated" technology that never needed to be updated.

1. They are more expensive
2. They are a health hazard

I estimate the average lifespan to be 6 to 9 months.

-dd

P.S. Don't get me started on "updated" technology... Flat screen TVs are the worst example.

That was my experience too. I quit using those bulbs almost immediately. :p

GunnyFreedom
12-28-2010, 11:40 PM
Gunny,

In reference to the picture that I posted above from Rense.com, I am curious about LED lights. I wonder if you have or can try them, maybe in one room, and see if your symptoms go away.

I myself have never experienced any adverse affects from CFL's but I may not have been paying close enough attention. I think that LED bulbs are getting cheap enough now to be affordable to buy 1-3 to see how you/we feel with them.

I already know that LED bulbs will alleviate the symptoms, because the headaches I get from the CFL's are direct and immediate. I have to consciously avoid looking at them or my head immediately starts throbbing. If I go to my local Home Depot, they have a display set up with the three typs of bulbs side by side. LED bulbs, if anything are more pleasant to look at than incandescent. CFL just hurt.

When I start drawing that taxpayer paycheck I'll be slowly converting my house. I've pretty much gone since late 2007 without much of a paycheck to speak of on account of giving up my whole life for Ron Paul and the liberty movement. The State House paycheck may be only $22k/year but given that I have grown used to living under $5k/year, that $22k is gonna feel like a LOT. :D

sevin
12-28-2010, 11:53 PM

That's it, I'm throwing every one of these damn bulbs away.

Icymudpuppy
12-29-2010, 12:06 AM
LEDs are the way to go. Low cost of energy, no nastiness, and they really do last forever. I've got LEDs throughout my Truck, taillights, canopy lights, etc and they've never been replaced in 15 years.

BenIsForRon
12-29-2010, 12:11 AM
LED's are where it's at, but until those take over the market, CFL's are the way to go if you're looking for energy efficiency. The problem is that they can be much more dangerous for the environment because most people aren't disposing of them properly.

angelatc
12-29-2010, 12:25 AM

The ones I bought a few years ago are working just fine, but the newer ones seem to be built with "planned obsolescence" in mind. The whole reason I switched to them was because I couldn't (and still can't) buy regular bulbs that lasted more than a month any more.

These things are going to end up in landfills en masse, mark my words.

GunnyFreedom
12-29-2010, 12:29 AM
The ones I bought a few years ago are working just fine, but the newer ones seem to be built with "planned obsolescence" in mind. The whole reason I switched to them was because I couldn't (and still can't) buy regular bulbs that lasted more than a month any more.

I agree, the newer ones do not last as long as the original ones, and they make headaches and nausea worse than the original ones too.

Anti Federalist
12-29-2010, 12:29 AM

Utility companies increase line voltage for cost savings.

In some places it's worse than others.

Probe one of your outlets with a multimeter. I'll bet you have a household line voltage of 130V or more.