PDA

View Full Version : Would Twitter Be Liable For Links To Infringing Material?

Kludge
12-28-2010, 03:14 PM
"One of the issues that bothers many folks who pay attention to copyright issues is the growing belief by many copyright supporters that simply posting a link to copyright infringing material could itself be considered infringement. From a technical standpoint, this makes little sense. As you copyright geeks should know, US copyright law grants some specific "exclusive rights" to copyright holders in Section 106: to reproduce, to prepare derivative works, to distribute, to perform and to display (with some added specifics based on what kind of work it is). Still, I'm at a loss to figure out what linking to a work does? It's not reproducing the work. It's not preparing a derivative work. It's not distributing the work. It's not performing or displaying the work. So what part of copyright law does linking violate?

Anyway, the reason why I'm asking this now is that it appears that Twitter is suddenly getting swamped with DMCA takedown notices lately. I only discovered that after a recent TorrentFreak article about the top DMCA takedown senders as compiled by ChillingEffects.org. What struck me, in Wendy Seltzer's summary, was that she mentioned that the largest sources of DMCA takedowns are "Google, Yahoo, Digg, and most recently, Twitter." "

Full story @ http://www.techdirt.com/articles/20101228/00390012431/would-twitter-be-liable-links-to-infringing-material.shtml