PDA

View Full Version : [Video] Glenn Greenwald vs. Fran Townsend - Wikileaks debate

jct74
12-27-2010, 08:50 PM
Watch Greenwald destroy these 2 clowns, good stuff. :cool:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XInz4i6AV8M

qh4dotcom
12-27-2010, 09:03 PM
Glenn Greenwald is a liberal

RM918
12-27-2010, 09:04 PM

True, but at least he's consistent when it comes to civil liberties and the wars.

MRoCkEd
12-27-2010, 09:05 PM
Saw this live. Glenn owned them.

Austrian Econ Disciple
12-27-2010, 09:10 PM

And your point is? Are liberals incapable of ever uttering anything that comports to libertarianism? I find this view odd...seeing as how many are genuinely anti-war, and pro-drug legalization for instance. This smells of rabid partisanship. How hard is it to work with people that agree with you on specific issues? I am not going to work with liberals on economic policy, but that doesn't mean I can't work with them on getting rid of drug laws or the Patriot Act.

Agorism
12-27-2010, 09:15 PM
Greenwald missed a chance to explain that Assange OFFERED the Pentagon a chance to redact the cables before he published, but they declined.

He also never publishes without a copublisher as he allows the major newspapers to redact the articles as well.

He was letting that lady get away with more than he normally does.

amy31416
12-27-2010, 09:25 PM

STONE HIM!

Oh. And Glenn forgot to mention that Assange contacted the State Dept several times to allow them to redact information that might be harmful, as I see Agorism pointed out. :)

WilliamShrugged
12-27-2010, 09:27 PM

Not necessarily. I know its from wikipedia but......

Greenwald frequently criticizes those on both ends of the conventional left-right political spectrum. In fact, he is generally most critical of actions that have the support of both liberals and conservatives, since "the worst and most tyrannical government actions in Washington are equally supported on a fully bipartisan basis."[22]
In the preface to his first book, How Would a Patriot Act? (2006), Greenwald begins by giving some of his own personal political history, describing himself as at first neither liberal nor conservative but as one who had taken positions that can be ascribed to both liberals and conservatives, voting neither for George W. Bush nor for any of his rivals, indeed not voting at all.[23] Bush's ascendancy to the U.S. Presidency "changed" Greenwald's previous uninvolved political attitude toward the electoral process "completely":
Over the past five years, a creeping extremism has taken hold of our federal government, and it is threatening to radically alter our system of government and who we are as a nation. This extremism is neither conservative nor liberal in nature, but is instead driven by theories of unlimited presidential power that are wholly alien, and antithetical, to the core political values that have governed this country since its founding"; for, "the fact that this seizure of ever-expanding presidential power is largely justified through endless, rank fear-mongering—fear of terrorists, specifically—means that not only our system of government is radically changing, but so, too, are our national character, our national identity, and what it means to be American."[23]
Believing that "It is incumbent upon all Americans who believe in that system, bequeathed to us by the founders, to defend it when it is under assault and in jeopardy. And today it is," he stresses: "I did not arrive at these conclusions eagerly or because I was predisposed by any previous partisan viewpoint. Quite the contrary."[23]
Ostensibly resistant to applying ideological labels to himself, he emphasizes repeatedly that he is a strong advocate for U.S. constitutional "balance of powers"[9] and for constitutionally-protected civil and political rights in his writings and public appearances.[1]
Throughout them he has relentlessly criticized the policies of the George W. Bush administration and those who support or enable it, arguing that most of the American "Corporate News Media" excuse Bush's policies and echo administration talking points rather than asking hard questions.[19][24]
Entitling his Unclaimed Territory blog entry for January 16, 2006, "Bush Followers Are Not Conservatives," Greenwald explains this position:
It has long been clear that there is nothing remotely "conservative" about this Administration, at least in the sense that conservative ideology has stood for a restrained Federal Government which was to be distrusted. There has been a long line of decidedly un-conservative actions by this Administration – from exploding discretionary domestic spending to record deficits to an emergency convening of the Federal Government to intervene in one woman’s end-of-life decisions to attempts to federalize, even constitutionalize, marriage laws – all of which could not be any more alien to what has been meant by "conservatism" for the past 40 years.[25]
The New York Times describes Greenwald as a liberal.[26][27]
In his various media guest appearances and publications, Greenwald elaborates his political views, which he also summarizes succinctly in responding to "six questions ... about political campaign coverage and the media" that Ken Silverstein posed to him in an article published in Harper's Magazine on February 21, 2008.[19]
Greenwald holds a favourable view of drug liberalization. He conducted research, commissioned by the Cato Institute, on the effect of the abolition of all criminal penalties for personal drug possession in Portugal, which occurred in 2001. According to Greenwald, "decriminalization in Portugal has been a resounding success... It has enabled the Portuguese government to manage and control the drug problem far better than virtually every other Western country does".[28]

qh4dotcom
12-27-2010, 10:30 PM
And your point is? Are liberals incapable of ever uttering anything that comports to libertarianism? I find this view odd...seeing as how many are genuinely anti-war, and pro-drug legalization for instance. This smells of rabid partisanship. How hard is it to work with people that agree with you on specific issues? I am not going to work with liberals on economic policy, but that doesn't mean I can't work with them on getting rid of drug laws or the Patriot Act.

As long as he doesn't support or vote for corrupt liberals (nor any other corrupt politician), I can support him.

By the way, great video.

BenIsForRon
12-27-2010, 10:32 PM
Great interview, love how Greenwald got a nice little jab in at Bush while his former employee was there.

axiomata
12-27-2010, 10:38 PM
"Good investigative journalists (maybe CNN doesn't do this) but good investigative journalists" publish classified information all the time.

lol

TheeJoeGlass
12-28-2010, 12:35 AM

I believe it was Ron Paul who said, "well, what does that have to do with it?"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fs9_Z87wZEE

TheeJoeGlass
12-28-2010, 12:42 AM
Come on, they threw to much crap at him he just did'nt have time to. But I bet as soon as the interview was over, he called them bad words. That CNN anchor is dreadful.

Knightskye
12-28-2010, 01:41 AM
True, but at least he's consistent when it comes to civil liberties and the wars.

This.

Free Moral Agent
01-11-2011, 02:08 AM
"Good investigative journalists (maybe CNN doesn't do this) but good investigative journalists" publish classified information all the time.

lol

PWNED!

Thought I would re-watch this interview; he rocked those two!