PDA

View Full Version : Why conservatives should want to bail out California

RonPaulFanInGA
12-27-2010, 08:11 PM
http://dailycaller.com/2010/12/27/why-conservatives-should-want-to-bail-out-california/

TCE
12-27-2010, 08:15 PM
Wow, just wow. Better to let them fail, then they can reorganize in bankruptcy, and the people will have their taxes jump massively, causing people to re-evaluate the services California provides.

ctnjason
12-27-2010, 08:25 PM
Wow, just wow. Better to let them fail, then they can reorganize in bankruptcy, and the people will have their taxes jump massively, causing people to re-evaluate the services California provides.

I think cali should NOT be bailed out but something in my head WANTS to see the system intentionally collapse to make people way of thinking shift. My great grandfather used to always tell me that we actually needed another depression to make peoples priorities change.

TCE
12-27-2010, 08:31 PM
I think cali should NOT be bailed out but something in my head WANTS to see the system intentionally collapse to make people way of thinking shift. My great grandfather used to always tell me that we actually needed another depression to make peoples priorities change.

Agreed, with the first sentence. I am hoping there isn't another depression, though. It's not "real" to the Californians right now. They believe that whatever the legislature does is independent of them, just like we as U.S. citizens believe the national debt doesn't mean anything to us. If California fails, even if briefly, the citizens will realize that spending needs to be controlled or else the entire system collapses.

cindy25
12-27-2010, 08:53 PM
bankruptcy would be better; that would wipe out the state pension obligations, and current union pay levels. sell off assets such as state university system, state parks, the lottery.

dannno
12-27-2010, 10:05 PM
Meat and potatoes:

It’s possible to make the bailout contingent on Sacramento making drastic budget cuts and passing constitutional amendments that radically reform the state’s political system.

And the state’s political system is certainly in need of reform. Some ideas: Scaling back the state’s maze of regulations; eliminating some of its hundreds of unnecessary boards and commissions; imposing a real spending cap (the current one is too high to make a difference); laying off state employees; and reducing future pension
obligations.

In fact, a bailout is probably the only way the California legislature would enact any of these reforms.

Read more: http://dailycaller.com/2010/12/27/why-conservatives-should-want-to-bail-out-california/#ixzz19NMUe4gf

Interesting idea, but I think the state will ultimately be forced to do that if they AREN'T bailed out as well.

Agorism
12-27-2010, 10:14 PM
Bankruptcy court will make a lot of contingent spending cuts too.

Chester Copperpot
12-27-2010, 10:52 PM

My grandpa used to say the same thing... er grandfather that is.. but Im probably a generation older than you so its probably the same generation...