PDA

View Full Version : More police patrolling inside private businesses in my area - Why?

devil21
12-26-2010, 05:11 PM
In my area, Ive noticed an increase in the amount of police "stationed" on patrol inside private businesses and other unexpected places. For example, there is always a uniformed cop inside (with his police cruiser parked outside) the local Harris Teeter grocery store hanging around the registers and just watching people. I also see this at Home Economist grocery stores and Home Depot stores in my area too so it's not just this one store.

So why are cops protecting private businesses using public resources? My conspiracy side thinks it's just the slow creep of Big Brother but my fiscally conservative side has a problem with cops using public resources to protect private businesses. I don't know if they are on-duty, I haven't asked, but they look like they are and they're driving marked police cars.

Has anybody else seen this increased police presence inside private businesses lately?

Humanae Libertas
12-26-2010, 06:17 PM
I've been seeing almost the same thing. I saw local sheriffs hanging out in an RV in the Wal Mart parking lot during the weekend, maybe about 3-4 times.

sevin
12-26-2010, 11:20 PM
Get used to it. The country has been turning into a police state very gradually for years. The most obvious sign is in cops' attitudes toward citizens. They no longer exist to protect and serve us, but to watch us and boss us around.

ClayTrainor
12-26-2010, 11:48 PM
So why are cops protecting private businesses using public resources?

Because There are no "public" resources. The state is just another private organization that happens to be allowed to steal from people. It's all about organized crime. They aren't monitoring these businesses to "keep them safe", that much I'm sure of.

BFranklin
12-27-2010, 12:36 AM
Because collapse is coming, they are getting the police to patrol and have a presence in places where there's food, guns, etc. This way when the collapse happens law enforcement already knows what to do. This place will be on lockdown!

BamaAla
12-27-2010, 01:18 AM
A lot of places that get extremely increased seasonal traffic will pay to have police stationed there. Our old college apartment paid for a police officer to be stationed at the front gate. Just a guess.

cindy25
12-27-2010, 01:40 AM
I noticed the change in attitude started early in the Reagan years.

Anti Federalist
12-27-2010, 01:48 AM
Maybe because of angry mobs of Boobus, storming a store for Made in China, $175 sneakers?

Towne East Mall Shoppers Maced at Chaotic Air Jordan Sneaker Sale

http://www.myfoxdfw.com/dpp/news/weird/122310-Towne-East-Mall-Shoppers-Maced-at-Chaotic-Air-Jordan-Sneaker-Sale

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jkXSB-3UrZQ&feature=player_embedded

LibForestPaul
12-27-2010, 08:18 AM
Is this welcomed or not welcomed by the store owners?
It can be considered free security at taxpayers expense.
Or, it can be considered by business owners as something to put up with.

Should taxpayers in high crime areas be perturbed why they do not have officers patrolling their areas?

Slutter McGee
12-27-2010, 08:34 AM
You guys do realize that a large number of private establishments hire off duty uniformed police officers for extra work and security?

Slutter McGee

SovereignMN
12-27-2010, 08:37 AM
Most likely is a mutal agreement between the business owners and the local police/sheriff department. The business owners will pay the officer during their off-duty hours and the police/sheriff department will allow the officer to be dressed in his/her uniform and squad car as if they were on active duty.

15-20 years ago while in high school I worked for a movie theater in a rough part of town. Everytime one of these 'inner city gangster" movies premiered like "Boyz In The Hood" or "Juice" there would be rival gangs showing up in their colors. Each Friday and Saturday night we hired a couple uniformed officers to just stand in the lobby and mill around.

pcosmar
12-27-2010, 09:25 AM
You guys do realize that a large number of private establishments hire off duty uniformed police officers for extra work and security?

Slutter McGee

And what is the purpose of wearing the Official Uniform in an Unofficial Capacity ?
Intimidation?.

Slutter McGee
12-27-2010, 09:37 AM
And what is the purpose of wearing the Official Uniform in an Unofficial Capacity ?
Intimidation?.

That purpose would be deterrance. Partially through intimidation. Lets say I own business and lose 2,000 dollars in sales a week to theft. I have a police officer come in for 1000 a week in his off hours, and theft drops to only 300 a week. Assuming sales stay the same, I have just made a rational freemarket decision to help my business. A non-uniformed officer would not prevent theft in the same way.

I am cool with all the threads pointing out police abuse and militarization. I just think its a little silly to start bitching about police in grocery stores who are probably doing a public service for once, most likely to prevent the theft of private property. Which is one of the actual legitimate functions of police.

Slutter McGee

Icymudpuppy
12-27-2010, 09:53 AM
Uniformed police don't bother me. It's the undercover guys that are scary.

Think highway patrol. If there are marked cars visible, people tend to drive more carefully. Unmarked cars are just to get revenue.

When I was a patrolman, I used to park my squad car outside the school zones in broad view during drop-off and pickup times. I might head over to the donut shop, or take a nap as I wasn't interested in actually catching somebody, but traffic would slow down in the school zones when it saw the marked patrol car. Safer kids.

pcosmar
12-27-2010, 10:33 AM
That purpose would be deterrance. Partially through intimidation. Lets say I own business and lose 2,000 dollars in sales a week to theft. I have a police officer come in for 1000 a week in his off hours, and theft drops to only 300 a week. Assuming sales stay the same, I have just made a rational freemarket decision to help my business. A non-uniformed officer would not prevent theft in the same way.

I am cool with all the threads pointing out police abuse and militarization. I just think its a little silly to start bitching about police in grocery stores who are probably doing a public service for once, most likely to prevent the theft of private property. Which is one of the actual legitimate functions of police.

Slutter McGee

So why not just hire a private guy. (lot of folks need a job) and dress him in a police Uniform?
Or just have your present employees dress in police uniforms?

Why hire someone that already has a full time job at taxpayers expense?

agitator
12-27-2010, 10:39 AM
So why not just hire a private guy. (lot of folks need a job) and dress him in a police Uniform?

Perps probably can tell the real ones from the rent-a-cop ones. The real ones won't hesitate to shoot them.

Melissa
12-27-2010, 10:42 AM

Actually what it sometimes is..is a cop that is a volunteer like county so does not get paid but does all the training for being a cop then they use their real cop stuff to get a job protecting private property. I used to work at a plaza mall and the cop that was security there was county sherriff reserve but did not get paid just the training so he would get jobs in the private sector and get to wear his police uniform.

fisharmor
12-27-2010, 10:49 AM

In the relatively free-market la-la land I live in, my employer takes a pretty dim view of moonlighting.
Most private employers do when it comes to salaried employees.
If I leave my job and go work 8 hours somewhere else, I am less likely to put my full effort into my day job.
Of course, they don't pay me accordingly, but that's a subject for another thread.
The point is, if the police department is cool with this, then that means they're cool with sending tired, overworked, irritable people out to a job that allows them to brutally beat and summarily execute whomever they want.
That they got paid to get into that condition doesn't really register with me, Slutter.

pcosmar
12-27-2010, 10:51 AM
Perps probably can tell the real ones from the rent-a-cop ones.
What the Fuck is the difference? A "real" cop is just a rented gun.

The real ones won't hesitate to shoot them.
Oh, I see. State sanctioned murderer is acceptable, but self defense isn't.
It is all so clear now.

:mad:

Slutter McGee
12-27-2010, 10:57 AM
In the relatively free-market la-la land I live in, my employer takes a pretty dim view of moonlighting.
Most private employers do when it comes to salaried employees.
If I leave my job and go work 8 hours somewhere else, I am less likely to put my full effort into my day job.
Of course, they don't pay me accordingly, but that's a subject for another thread.
The point is, if the police department is cool with this, then that means they're cool with sending tired, overworked, irritable people out to a job that allows them to brutally beat and summarily execute whomever they want.
That they got paid to get into that condition doesn't really register with me, Slutter.

So you believe the state should place restrictions on how a person can earn money outside of their job? We are not talking about a contractual agreement with a private business. You guys are letting your dislike of police officers shape the argument in a way that is not indictive of liberty and the freemarket.

Lets face it. These forums believe in liberty, the freemarket, and personal freedom....unless that person is a jew or a cop.

It gets ridiculous.

Slutter McGee

fisharmor
12-27-2010, 11:05 AM
Lets face it. These forums believe in liberty, the freemarket, and personal freedom....unless that person is a jew or a cop.

Really? You throw me in the same bucket with racists?

So you believe the state should place restrictions on how a person can earn money outside of their job?
The free market does it all the time. If I get caught moonlighting, they probably won't fire me, but they'll be looking at my performance a lot more intensely. If it slips, I get fired.
Cops can't even get fired for murdering people, so what's the likelyhood that they'll get disciplined for too much moonlighting?

We are not talking about a contractual agreement with a private business.
Well, thanks for highlighting the problem. No, we're not. There's no contract and not even a formal job definition (despite your efforts to interpolate one). So really, how can we discipline cops for overextending themselves and doing a shitty job? How can we define "shitty job" when a good job includes murder?

You guys are letting your dislike of police officers shape the argument in a way that is not indictive of liberty and the freemarket.
I've stated many times that I don't dislike police officers - I will give each individual time to prove that he's not an arrogant statist bully asshole. Not much time, but enough.
What I don't like is the job. I don't like the job because it's not necessary, and because it tends to take otherwise decent human beings and require that they become arrogant statist bully assholes.

agitator
12-27-2010, 11:13 AM
So you believe the state should place restrictions on how a person can earn money outside of their job?

Are you against legal retrictions on the hours a truck, train, bus diver or pilot of a ship or aircraft can work?

BamaAla
12-27-2010, 11:17 AM

pcosmar
12-27-2010, 11:22 AM
So you believe the state should place restrictions on how a person can earn money outside of their job? We are not talking about a contractual agreement with a private business. You guys are letting your dislike of police officers shape the argument in a way that is not indictive of liberty and the freemarket.

It gets ridiculous.

Slutter McGee

No. I am opposed to using the power of the state (Badge,uniform gun) for personal private gain.
I am opposed to police in principal, to the very concept of mercenary enforcers.

I am opposed to the disarming of Americans and setting up a ruling class of gunmen.

If you want to protect your business, arm your employees.
I guarantee if all your cashiers and stock-men had a firearm on their hip, theft would be radically reduced.
Without the power of the state being used.

charrob
12-27-2010, 11:29 AM
Local malls which used to have cops walking through them now have trained dogs with them that sniff for drugs and explosive material- about a month ago the 10 pm news introduced this to be for our security and showed little kids petting the dogs and stupid women saying it makes them 'feel safe'.

Also bank of America has had a cop standing at it's door for years.

heavenlyboy34
12-27-2010, 11:38 AM

It gets ridiculous.

Slutter McGee

What is "free market" about cops? They're government employees, ffs. I've never seen anyone on these forums against "jews" in general. Zionists are a different subject altogether. Nice red herring, though.

dannno
12-27-2010, 11:52 AM

Slutter McGee

I read this post in the thread 20 minutes ago and then on my way to work hear on the radio that police had finally caught the purse snatcher in my town!! That's great!! But purse snatcher, really? Is this Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles??

So how was this "purse snatcher" caught, according to local media? Well, a cop, on ASSIGNMENT at our local grocery store caught them, that's how.

Either this purse snatcher was caught by police on assignment at our local grocery store, or the purse snatcher is just a rouse to get people used to the idea of cops in grocery stores.

Very timely thread, OP.

fisharmor
12-27-2010, 11:58 AM
That's great!! But purse snatcher, really? Is this Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles??

It's a shorter leap from "purse snatcher" to "homeschooler" or "tax avoider".

LibForestPaul
12-27-2010, 01:03 PM
Are you against legal retrictions on the hours a truck, train, bus diver or pilot of a ship or aircraft can work?

+1

devil21
12-27-2010, 02:16 PM
I read this post in the thread 20 minutes ago and then on my way to work hear on the radio that police had finally caught the purse snatcher in my town!! That's great!! But purse snatcher, really? Is this Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles??

So how was this "purse snatcher" caught, according to local media? Well, a cop, on ASSIGNMENT at our local grocery store caught them, that's how.

Either this purse snatcher was caught by police on assignment at our local grocery store, or the purse snatcher is just a rouse to get people used to the idea of cops in grocery stores.

Very timely thread, OP.

Interesting. I will assume that the cops posted up inside the Harris Teeters and Home Depots in my area are also on-duty and on assignment. It seems like too many places for it to just be random moonlighting. Im surprised more aren't seeing this but it'll probably become more common in the near future.

devil21
01-04-2011, 04:30 AM
bump

Just the last two days Ive observed cops now stationed inside the local BJ's warehouse store and a medium sized pet store.

Brooklyn Red Leg
01-04-2011, 06:33 AM

Any officer who accepts a private gig ought to be shitcanned. There is a world of difference between what I do (private security) and what a cop does and the two don't even resemble one another. It REALLY pisses me off that public sector fuckstains soak up the jobs that SHOULD be going to actual private security, not government goons with badges. Its shit like this that's the reason I'm laid off and can't find a fucking job in my own field but am going to have to go do some piss-ass minimum wage job instead like bagging groceries.

devil21
04-07-2011, 05:19 AM
Thought I'd bump this thread. Anybody seeing new or increased police presence inside local businesses?

thedude
04-07-2011, 05:28 AM
Nope. None. Sometimes cops sit outside grocery stores to bust the idiots who park in the fire lane and run in the store without parking in a spot and walking like the rest of us. I, for one, welcome this. Get these lazy bastards to park like everyone else. Are they inside the store? Nope, unless they're shopping for groceries. Cops gotta eat too. I live in the NY State Capital District. I shop in all three cities. Not once have I witnessed this.

tangent4ronpaul
04-07-2011, 05:33 AM
In my area, Ive noticed an increase in the amount of police "stationed" on patrol inside private businesses and other unexpected places. For example, there is always a uniformed cop inside (with his police cruiser parked outside) the local Harris Teeter grocery store hanging around the registers and just watching people. I also see this at Home Economist grocery stores and Home Depot stores in my area too so it's not just this one store.

So why are cops protecting private businesses using public resources? My conspiracy side thinks it's just the slow creep of Big Brother but my fiscally conservative side has a problem with cops using public resources to protect private businesses. I don't know if they are on-duty, I haven't asked, but they look like they are and they're driving marked police cars.

Has anybody else seen this increased police presence inside private businesses lately?

They are moonlighting. The stores like it, the cops like it.

As to the cars, what's more of a deterrent to crime? having a bunch of police cruisers all parked in a PD parking lot, or having then spread out through a district and visible. Around here, they let them take the cop cars home both as a perk and as a deterrent.

tangent4ronpaul
04-07-2011, 05:37 AM
Any officer who accepts a private gig ought to be shitcanned. There is a world of difference between what I do (private security) and what a cop does and the two don't even resemble one another. It REALLY pisses me off that public sector fuckstains soak up the jobs that SHOULD be going to actual private security, not government goons with badges. Its shit like this that's the reason I'm laid off and can't find a fucking job in my own field but am going to have to go do some piss-ass minimum wage job instead like bagging groceries.

MickyD's is doing a one day hiring spree - 50,000 ppl in one day and they are paying better than min wage by something like a buck.

payme_rick
04-07-2011, 07:33 AM
My friend is a sheriff's deputy and sometimes is hired by businesses to work security on his days off... He will not wear his regular uniform, just a white polo-style shirt with "sheriff" written big across the back, black cargo-style pants, his badge and his gun etc... He is not allowed to wear his regular work uni while off-duty...

Also, some LEOs are allowed to take their cars home, so they may be off-duty but commuting with the car... So nice of us to pay for them to get to their side job, eh?

But yes, I've noticed cops showing up in a couple of places myself... We'll go to Buffalo WildWings maybe once a month to watch the UFC fights and two ON-DUTY officers will be there the whole time.. By Texas law, they can show up whenever because the place is licensed to sell alcohol (bullshit), but the management requests they come for the fights and until it clears out (again, bullshit)... They should pay for security...

Brooklyn Red Leg
04-07-2011, 09:15 AM
They should pay for security...

Yes, they should. Like I said, any cop that accepts a private gig ought to be shit-canned.

Freedom 4 all
04-07-2011, 10:25 AM
They should pay for security...

I find the very existence of police officers as offensive as everyone else, but I feel compelled to point out that they ARE paying for the hired thugs to be there in the retarded amounts of business and property tax the government steals from them.

payme_rick
04-07-2011, 11:40 AM
I find the very existence of police officers as offensive as everyone else, but I feel compelled to point out that they ARE paying for the hired thugs to be there in the retarded amounts of business and property tax the government steals from them.

Trust me, I get what you're saying, but what about the other five bars in town that are showing the fights? Do they get their own pair of on-duty officers as well?

IMO, they shouldn't be allowed to camp up in some place because a business owner wants his patrons to behave... If you don't feel comfortable running your business without on-duty officers in there, don't get into that line of business...

If there's a problem, try to take care of it and then call the cops if you want (message not approved by Anti Federalist), but don't sit them up in the establishment as a deterrent...

TheBlackPeterSchiff
04-07-2011, 12:02 PM
Most likely private details. Private business pay the cops and the city to patrol or have a presence at their business. A lot of cops in New Orleans are in trouble because they been collecting money on the side, strong arming businesses for protection, and using scare tactics to run off private security firms.

Brooklyn Red Leg
04-07-2011, 05:08 PM
A lot of cops in New Orleans are in trouble because they been collecting money on the side, strong arming businesses for protection, and using scare tactics to run off private security firms.

Not surprising in the least. Got any links to stories about that?