PDA

View Full Version : Potential 2012 GOP Presidential Hopefuls Eye Tea Party Support

Agorism
12-25-2010, 04:50 PM
Potential 2012 GOP Presidential Hopefuls Eye Tea Party Support

http://i.huffpost.com/gen/231532/thumbs/s-TEA-PARTY-ELECTIONS-2012-large300.jpg

http://thehill.com/blogs/blog-briefing-room/news/135069-2012-gop-hopefuls-have-tea-party-courting-to-do-groups-say

Three potential Republican contenders for the 2012 presidential nomination would have higher hurdles to clear to win the Tea Party vote in the primary, leaders of the movement say.

Former Massachusetts Gov. Mitt Romney, former Arkansas Gov. Mike Huckabee and former House Speaker Newt Gingrich each are met with a degree of suspicion by Tea Partiers, and all three have taken early steps to address those voters’ concerns.

Tea Party groups, whose loosely organized members threw their sometimes considerable weight behind conservative challengers to centrist or establishment Republicans in the fall campaign, have already begun strategizing on ways to affect the race for the 2012 GOP nomination.

They are planning debates and candidate forums, organizing in key primary states, and even forming political action committees (PACs).

And Republicans — particularly those whose relationship with the grassroots activists isn't the coziest — are mindful of the Tea Party’s potential impact, and seem to be operating with an eye toward that base.

When Romney announced his opposition to the tax-cut package President Obama negotiated with Senate Republicans this month, for instance, he aligned himself with other would-be conservative contenders for the nomination — former Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin, Sen. Jim DeMint (S.C.) and Rep. Mike Pence (Ind.) — who are looked upon with more favor by the Tea Party.

"I can't say what was in his head, but it sure looks like an effort to reach out to the Tea Party movement," Mark Meckler, the national coordinator of Tea Party Patriots, said of Romney's effort.

"I don't think anyone's disqualified. I think the two that would have the longest row to hoe would be Mitt Romney and Newt Gingrich," Meckler added, anecdotally recalling conversations with many self-identified Tea Party voters.

Meckler said DeMint and Pence, by contrast, excite Tea Party voters much more.

The fiscally conservative Club for Growth consistently criticized Huckabee during his 2008 presidential campaign. The former governor also tried recently to distance himself from previous comments seeming to indicate support for cap-and-trade climate regulation of the sort Democrats pushed in the 111th Congress.

"Those who are now breathlessly trotting out their attacks that I supported mandatory cap and trade have simply not done their homework," Huckabee said in a statement at the time.

Gingrich's personal history and occasional alliances with high-profile Democrats also have prompted concern among some conservatives; during the past two years, he partnered with the Rev. Al Sharpton on an education initiative and with House Speaker Nancy Pelosi (Calif.) on climate change.

But he's also been one of the most consistent flamethrowers opposing President Obama and congressional Democrats, and he helped groom many of the Republican congressional candidates who made the Nov. 2 GOP takeover of the House possible.

When Tea Party voters do make their choice, they'll have to consider candidates’ electability, along with their fidelity to conservative principles. That debate played out in the 2010 congressional races with mixed results: Tea Party favorites like Rand Paul (Ky.) and Marco Rubio (Fla.) won their Senate races, while nominees like Christine O'Donnell in Delaware lost in embarrassing fashion.

Rep. Michele Bachmann (R-Minn.), the leader of the House Tea Party Caucus, said Tea Party voters will look for a nominee who's serious about the constitution, balancing the budget and keeping taxes low.

“I think it's very early in the process," she explained. "I think the more important conversation for the next 12 months are why this president's policies are bad for the country, and whey we should not have a second term for the Obama administration."

Despite wooing from some would-be White House contenders, Tea Party groups haven’t taken an explicit stance on any of them — in part because none has even announced they are running.

"I don't think there's anybody we should rule out, or anybody we should rule in," said Amy Kremer, the chairwoman of Tea Party Express. "I think it's a completely level playing field."

Some possible candidates — Govs. Tim Pawlenty (Minn.), Mitch Daniels (Ind.) and Haley Barbour (Miss.) as well as Sen. John Thune (S.D) — enjoy a relatively blank slate with Tea Party voters, while Palin and DeMint already have strong Tea Party support.

The groups are already laying the groundwork for future vetting of the different candidates, though.

Tea Party Express recently announced it would partner with CNN to host a GOP presidential debate next year, probably the first time in the campaign cycle candidates will face questioning of specific interest to the Tea Party.

Other Tea Party groups are quick to note that Kremer's organization doesn't speak for the entire movement, and are planning their own events as well.

Tea Party Patriots, another one of the larger organizations, is planning an American Policy Summit in February to which all presidential candidates will be invited, according to Meckler.

FreedomWorks, another Tea Party organizing group connected to former House Majority Leader Dick Armey (R-Texas), is setting up a PAC going into 2012 to directly assist candidates, according to Brendan Steinhauser, the group’s director of federal and state campaigns.

But even candidates who cozy up to the conservative activists might not expect an immediate endorsement from some of the heavy-hitting groups — if at all.

Kremer said she didn't know if Tea Party Express would endorse, and Meckler said it was too soon to say. Even if their groups do endorse, they agreed, voters might be less inclined to follow their lead.

FreedomWorks could endorse "at a later stage," according to Steinhauser, when the GOP field has narrowed to fewer choices. State-level endorsements in Iowa, New Hampshire and South Carolina could be more consequential in the race for the nomination. In the meanwhile, Tea Party activists would try to take greater control of the "levers of power" within the Republican establishment.

Tea Partiers would also look to electability, he said.

"I think people are going to be very prudent about this. Who do we have who can beat Obama that agrees with us on 75-80 percent of the issues?" Steinhauser said. "We're going to have a lot of hard choices to make as a movement."

Continued page 2&3

Heimdallr
12-25-2010, 05:06 PM
Saw 3 pictures at top of page.

Laughed my ass off. YEAH RIGHT.

Imperial
12-25-2010, 05:08 PM
Do ya'll think Dr. Paul could get an endorsement from Freedomworks? They have been pretty eager to support the more libertarian-ish Tea Partiers this cycle.

Heimdallr
12-25-2010, 05:13 PM
Do ya'll think Dr. Paul could get an endorsement from Freedomworks? They have been pretty eager to support the more libertarian-ish Tea Partiers this cycle.

I'm not getting very good vibes from FreedomWorks. It's possible, but if there's a Tea Party alternative to RP, they'll probably go with them.

johnrocks
12-25-2010, 05:19 PM
Saw 3 pictures at top of page.

Laughed my ass off. YEAH RIGHT.

No doubt! Made me sorta ill at the same time,lol.

speciallyblend
12-25-2010, 06:06 PM
the gop will need a miracle if anything is to happen by 2012!! I see lil hope in the gop with the typical gop establishment trying to bs the liberty movement!! An obama 2nd term seems more likely everytime i hear the gop leadership open their mouths!!
honestly the only message the gop would truly listen to is if Ron paul were to announce the gop is a total failure and run indy! would be nice if he could do it after the gop debates! I see business as usual for the gop leadership!!

speciallyblend
12-25-2010, 06:14 PM
I'm not getting very good vibes from FreedomWorks. It's possible, but if there's a Tea Party alternative to RP, they'll probably go with them.

the gop has no intention of ever allowing Ron paul to win the nomination let alone allow a level playing field!!!

the gop will do exactly what they did in 2008!!(backroom deals) They will pick their own establishment candidate!

Agorism
12-25-2010, 07:55 PM
hehe

Eric21ND
12-25-2010, 08:22 PM
God damn they're deluded if they hold up Huckster, Romney, and Newt

Eric21ND
12-25-2010, 08:23 PM
Newt would probably lose worse than Palin in the general election.

Agorism
12-25-2010, 08:42 PM
They should use CPAC to gauge their Tea Party support.

fisharmor
12-25-2010, 08:56 PM
Newt would probably lose worse than Palin in the general election.

Great choices - the guy who spent the last four years doing all the same things that are causing all the problems, or the guy who invented all the problems.

Pauls' Revere
12-25-2010, 09:24 PM
From article:

Rep. Michele Bachmann (R-Minn.), the leader of the House Tea Party Caucus, said Tea Party voters will look for a nominee who's serious about the constitution, balancing the budget and keeping taxes low.

Sounds alot like Ron Paul.

Matt Collins
12-26-2010, 12:00 AM
Huck is the most likely of the 3 listed in that article. His personality and faith cause many to ignore his record though. But his record can be communicated.

Kregisen
12-26-2010, 12:45 AM
Huckabee is simply the farthest from small government you can get as a Republican. He's even worse than Romney (yeah I know!!). Gingrich I don't know much about, except he's just a typical neo-con....nothing special, except his support with Pelosi on climate change.

Pawlenty is another typical neo-con, his views aren't any different.

I still can't wait to see who gets the official tea party support. Assuming Palin doesn't run, this will be so much fun to watch. I'd love to see someone like Thune or Pence or Daniels or someone like that try to become the "tea party" guy when Rand goes "no, no, believe me, it's my dad".....and watching Palin and everyone else decide who's side to go on.

Now that's assuming Palin doesn't run. If she does, then we're probably fucked. It would still be fun to see Rand "betray" her in a way and endorse Ron, since she supported him so much on his way to the senate.

I can't fucking wait 'til everyone announces!! :D

speciallyblend
12-26-2010, 12:56 AM
Huckabee is simply the farthest from small government you can get as a Republican. He's even worse than Romney (yeah I know!!). Gingrich I don't know much about, except he's just a typical neo-con....nothing special, except his support with Pelosi on climate change.

Pawlenty is another typical neo-con, his views aren't any different.

I still can't wait to see who gets the official tea party support. Assuming Palin doesn't run, this will be so much fun to watch. I'd love to see someone like Thune or Pence or Daniels or someone like that try to become the "tea party" guy when Rand goes "no, no, believe me, it's my dad".....and watching Palin and everyone else decide who's side to go on.

Now that's assuming Palin doesn't run. If she does, then we're probably fucked. It would still be fun to see Rand "betray" her in a way and endorse Ron, since she supported him so much on his way to the senate.

I can't fucking wait 'til everyone announces!! :D

hmm let me try to simplify the whole race:) It will be Ron Paul 2012 or the gop will elect obama for a 2nd term!! That might be a good reminder for all those republicans you run into! Debating who will lose to obama is no fun! Ron Paul 2012!!

Sola_Fide
12-26-2010, 01:32 AM
Man...

What if DeMint ran?

Would you guys support him?

GunnyFreedom
12-26-2010, 01:33 AM
If it's Newt, I'll campaign against the bugger myself. :mad:

GunnyFreedom
12-26-2010, 01:35 AM
Man...

What if DeMint ran?

Does "Very, very reluctantly, and then only if Ron Paul or Gary Johnson isn't running." DeMint would be my first return to the 'lesser of evils' paradigm since 2004....but I'd bite the bullet, hold my nose, and do it, (again, only in the absence of Paul or Johnson) because DeMint is, at least significantly less evil than Obama and Gingritch and company.

Still to many big-government neocon interventionist ways for me to actually "support" DeMint though.

farrar
12-26-2010, 01:43 AM
Huck is the most likely of the 3 listed in that article. His personality and faith cause many to ignore his record though. But his record can be communicated.
^^^this

Agorism
12-26-2010, 01:44 AM
Man...

What if DeMint ran?

No way. I'd vote Constitution party again.

Sola_Fide
12-26-2010, 01:52 AM
I voted Constitution party too. But depending on how DeMint ran, I could possibly support him.

Sola_Fide
12-26-2010, 01:53 AM
That is, if Ron can't win obviously...

Agorism
12-26-2010, 02:04 AM
DeMint= Bush league

Legend1104
12-26-2010, 02:28 AM
Where is the Ron Paul love article?

speciallyblend
12-26-2010, 09:33 AM
i fear the gop hasn't learned a dam thing in the last few years! I fear the gop wants an obama 2nd term!!

Matt Collins
12-26-2010, 10:26 AM
Man...

What if DeMint ran?

One can't be a conservative and still advocate a worldwide military empire. Until he changes his policies on that, no I won't support him.

Eric21ND
12-26-2010, 02:29 PM
Great choices - the guy who spent the last four years doing all the same things that are causing all the problems, or the guy who invented all the problems.
Exactly! I mean at least Palin has somewhat of a following....they are simpletons and lack substance, but there are people out there that like her for some reason. Could it be that she's in the media 24/7 and that suddenly strikes a cord with the under 80 IQ crowd? Newt can't even get the braindead drooling masses behind him. The media will continually push him in our face though. He's this year's election cycle version of Rudy Giuliani; largely touted as a front runner, but one look behind the curtain reveals his support is of the invisible friend variety.

Eric21ND
12-26-2010, 02:32 PM
Man...

What if DeMint ran?

On the undercard if Ron Paul heads the ticket, sure. :)