PDA

View Full Version : Dr Paul's Web Host - LOAD BALANCERS

daviddee
10-21-2007, 08:04 PM

max
10-21-2007, 08:05 PM
As someone who has built two massive data centers/hosting companies that were sold for millions of dollars... it pains me to see horrible hosting...

Buy a load balancer and put some more boxes online... This is not rocket science.

they invested in state-of-the-art servers...

this is a hack

Paulitician
10-21-2007, 08:06 PM
If you're a regular, please do not visit the official website!!!! Wait to donate later if you must. It is extremely important that newcomers have no problem with it. So lay off for a while please!

davidhperry
10-21-2007, 08:06 PM
this is a hack

No offense, but that's your opinion. I think it's just a lot of people trying to access the site at the same time. Do you have proof that it's a hack?

daviddee
10-21-2007, 08:07 PM

DJ RP
10-21-2007, 08:08 PM
It is annoying a lot of money being wasted when decent hosting would mean this never happens.

daviddee
10-21-2007, 08:09 PM

Lord Xar
10-21-2007, 08:10 PM
If a domain has dedicated servers, they need to be able to support thousands of visitors at once.... SO, if infact there were thousands of visitors -- then all should be good..

BUT ---

If something was hammering the servers with HUNDREDS of thousands of requests from outside the US, then that would be something.. huh..

I'd like to know.

Suzu
10-21-2007, 08:10 PM
Yakking about a possible solution on this forum isn't going to solve anything. Call the campaign and explain it, and offer to help!

daviddee
10-21-2007, 08:16 PM

daviddee
10-21-2007, 08:26 PM

Suzu
10-21-2007, 08:29 PM
I e-mailed the campaign a while ago...

NO!! CALL them. 1-877-RON-2008

They take forever to read their email!

jd603
10-21-2007, 08:30 PM
RackSpace is not that bad, but something definitely was FUBARd. It may just be overloaded, that is a GOOD problem though. :)

As someone who has built two massive data centers/hosting companies that were sold for millions of dollars... it pains me to see horrible hosting...

Buy a load balancer and put some more boxes online... This is not rocket science.

Corydoras
10-22-2007, 12:26 AM
Isn't there a link to the website company on the site somewhere?

TheIndependent
10-22-2007, 12:29 AM

this is a hack

Dude, no offense, but there are a *lot* of us here from the tech industry who know what we're talking about when it comes to determining whether something is a hack, or if it's just a lack of proper resource allocation and/or IT planning.

The load balancer plan is a sound one.

TheIndependent
10-22-2007, 12:30 AM
Isn't there a link to the website company on the site somewhere?

Terra Eclipse. http://www.terraeclipse.com/

Lord Xar
10-22-2007, 12:32 AM
its up now

Mark
10-22-2007, 12:33 AM
I e-mailed the campaign a while ago...

The offer is still open:

1. Load Balancer
2. 8 Servers
3. No downtime

I'll send a note too.. I'm acquaintances with someone in his Congessional office..

that should cover both ends.. campaign/congress

might need some contact info for you daviddee.. probably best to send it directly inmy first contact

mesler
10-22-2007, 12:36 AM

this is a hack

Even 'state-of-the-art' will buckle under a certainly load. There is no evidence of any tampering, so please stop spreading this rumor.

Corydoras
10-22-2007, 12:45 AM
And while y'all are at it, warn them about November 5.

Mark
10-22-2007, 02:58 PM

I sent you a private message.. daviddee..

hopefully to help you get in touch with whomever you need to..

njandrewg
10-22-2007, 03:02 PM
why not ease their problem by figuring out their solution for them? i.e. so that they don't waste 10 hours trying to find a good deal on a server

Mark
10-22-2007, 03:11 PM
why not ease their problem by figuring out their solution for them? i.e. so that they don't waste 10 hours trying to find a good deal on a server

yeah.. that's basically what 'daviddee' said.. 'how to fix it'.

He's BUILT HUGE web hosting companies..
( I think ) (companies were sold for millions)

If ANYBODY would know 'the solution'.. it's 'daviddee'..

that's why I wrote to him to try and help facilitate the process.

risiusj
10-22-2007, 03:58 PM
Even 'state-of-the-art' will buckle under a certainly load. There is no evidence of any tampering, so please stop spreading this rumor.

No IT setup can be up 100% of the time. It's foolish to think so. You can make redundant paths to redundant machines and some other things to help, but there is never a guarantee.

Also, I highly doubt that they don't have some sort of load balancing for the site.
My high school had load balancing for its system and there are less than 200 students in high school.

john_anderson_ii
10-22-2007, 04:39 PM
I'm not sure what was going on, but its possible that it could have contention on the back end. More web servers and load balancing is always a good thing, but perhaps they really need a more streamlined and optimized backed, or some sort of replication.

njandrewg
10-22-2007, 04:43 PM
just have the campaign lease a couple clover towns for about $600 a piece...should be good for a whole bunch of users

steph3n
10-22-2007, 04:46 PM
just have the campaign lease a couple clover towns for about $600 a piece...should be good for a whole bunch of users

you honestly have no clue. Some of us do this for a living, and that won't fix it, it takes much more than a "few clovertowns"
it takes good management and a failover ready loadbalancer, with a powerful backend cluster.

Mark
10-22-2007, 04:52 PM
you honestly have no clue. Some of us do this for a living, and that won't fix it, it takes much more than a "few clovertowns"
it takes good management and a failover ready loadbalancer, with a powerful backend cluster.

Anyone know...? where's 'daviddee'?? Haven't heard back from him yet..

I want to get his OK.. and ideas/contact info...

for the campaign staffer I'm aquaintances with..

before I contact them about it..

steph3n
10-22-2007, 04:54 PM
I don't have a clue where he is, but I did talk to Jesse about this last night.
There were 20k in donations in about 15 min after the debate that caused this crash from what i saw.

I was keeping up to date on my phone however, so i was only checking every 10 min or so, and it happened during a blitz(for the day, it was slow overall however)

john_anderson_ii
10-22-2007, 04:54 PM
I didn't try to visit the page when it was down. Just for my own curiosity was it an ISE, timeout or connection refused?

steph3n
10-22-2007, 04:57 PM
I didn't try to visit the page when it was down. Just for my own curiosity was it an ISE, timeout or connection refused?

well on the phone it gave can't find server, but that is hardly usable, it does that for any page for about 100 reasons on the phone :D

Abobo
10-22-2007, 04:59 PM

The connection timed out. I think it was Apache that crashed, because the server it self could still be pinged.

john_anderson_ii
10-22-2007, 05:06 PM
The connection timed out. I think it was Apache that crashed, because the server it self could still be pinged.

Each scenario (timeout, refused, ISE) could be hundreds of reasons each. I'm not sure it's a web server crash. That would likely have closed the http port and led to connection refused. Unless a proxy or load balancer accepted incoming connections but couldn't forward them to the web server. Or maybe the web server was running and CGI execution got to a point where it needed to execute a query, but the table was locked for longer than the timeout value of the web server. That would cause a timeout. Or the database load was so high the query wasn't locked, but took so long to run that it passed the timeout value.

Its fun to troubleshoot by guessing, but it doesn't really accomplish anything I guess. If they use MySQL I'll email them and offer any assistance they need. I do it professionally for an online credit card processor anyway.

WillInMiami
10-22-2007, 05:09 PM
I manage a web-site that brings in over $15 million in revenue per year. The site is hosted on two Windows 2003 servers using network load balancing (NLB). We don't have any problems. But, we also don't usually get more than a few hundred concurrent visitors. If we did, I would probably have to throw a few more servers at it...

Mark
10-22-2007, 08:12 PM

Message sent to the RP Staffer..

hopefully daviddee and the RP campaign can work out the details..

WE CANNOT AFFORD DONATION SERVERS TO CRASH for sure..

big big 'ups'!!.. to daviddee.. ;)