PDA

View Full Version : David Nolan, founder of the Libertarian Party, passed away on Nov 28

MN Patriot
12-24-2010, 10:31 PM
Just discovered this looking at a list of prominent people who passed away in 2010. He was 66 and died suddenly from a stroke.
At least he and the Libertarian Party are considered to be prominent enough to be mentioned. But never did hear about it at the time. Leslie Nielsen, the actor from the Naked Gun movies, died the same day, so that may have overshadowed Nolan's death. But strange that it wasn't mentioned here in the RPF, I searched but found nothing.
I would have thought the Libertarian Party should be more popular now than ever, with the Tea Party movement and libertarianism becoming more widespread. 10 years ago the word "libertarian" was rarely heard, now it is everywhere. But the LP barely makes a squeak. I haven't been a member for 10+ years, still get membership renewal letters. The last one was the most pathetic I have seen. A real lack of leadership in the LP, nationally and in most states by looking at the number of candidates running.
Personally, I would like to see the LP strive to become the political party that replaces the Republican Party, so that America has an honest choice between freedom and fascism. I think this nation needs an honest open discussion about having a third independent party that isn't controlled by the political Establishment.

emazur
12-24-2010, 10:45 PM
We talked about it when it happened, and it got national coverage from NPR, LA Times and many more. I'm told the search isn't fully working yet when RPF updated the forums so that's probably why you couldn't find any posts

RileyE104
12-25-2010, 12:20 AM
There was a thread here about this. If you look hard you might find it but I think because of the new forum upgrade it's not coming up in the search.

Also, author of the book 'Blowback', Chalmers Johnson, died the same week as David Nolan, so that was 2 hits for the liberty movement that really sucked.

MN Patriot
12-25-2010, 07:57 AM
So, is there anybody who thinks a third independent party is worth pursuing? Or we are to support the two old parties forever? I added the other comment about the Libertarian Party just to see what people thought about it, but there seems to be very little interest in the LP. It looks to me that the LP is fizzling, even though libertarianism itself is becoming more popular. I can't imagine the Republican Party becoming the party that promotes libertarianism, with all of the collectivist conservatives in it.

speciallyblend
12-25-2010, 04:48 PM
So, is there anybody who thinks a third independent party is worth pursuing? Or we are to support the two old parties forever? I added the other comment about the Libertarian Party just to see what people thought about it, but there seems to be very little interest in the LP. It looks to me that the LP is fizzling, even though libertarianism itself is becoming more popular. I can't imagine the Republican Party becoming the party that promotes libertarianism, with all of the collectivist conservatives in it.

I love the idea of a 3rd party! I think we should continue to reclaim the gop but if that is not possible(gop thrives on bigger gov). A 3rd party coalition made up of ron paul republicans,indys,dems and all the 3rd parties together would have to be the answer if the gop fails us! I see no future for current 3rd parties unless they are able to rebrand themselves and form a new political party aka coalition with a true bigger tent that the gop lacks!!

speciallyblend
12-25-2010, 04:57 PM

I was lp for many yrs after i left the dems. The lp is marginalized by the 2 parties and themselves!! I would like to see the lp join a bigger coalition or actually register republican and reclaim the party they are bitching about!! The lp is nothing more then a sideshow to me. I will look elsewhere to vote if the gop fails to nominate the only person in the gop left with credibility!! I would like to see a Liberty party with a bigger tent upon the gop's failures!!

qh4dotcom
12-25-2010, 06:26 PM
He passed away on November 21, not November 28

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Nolan_(libertarian)

R.I.P

heavenlyboy34
12-25-2010, 07:09 PM
I was lp for many yrs after i left the dems. The lp is marginalized by the 2 parties and themselves!! I would like to see the lp join a bigger coalition or actually register republican and reclaim the party they are bitching about!! The lp is nothing more then a sideshow to me. I will look elsewhere to vote if the gop fails to nominate the only person in the gop left with credibility!! I would like to see a Liberty party with a bigger tent upon the gop's failures!!

The LP would probably do better if ballot access laws weren't so biased against third parties. Regardless, I'm looking forward to a collapse of the electoral system in favor of a Voluntary gov'ment.

speciallyblend
12-25-2010, 07:25 PM
The LP would probably do better if ballot access laws weren't so biased against third parties. Regardless, I'm looking forward to a collapse of the electoral system in favor of a Voluntary gov'ment.

i hear ya! no argument from me!!! I would support Mary Ruwart in the LP if nominated! I want to support a Ron Paul 2012 Ticket but knowing the gop i figure i will be supporting Mary Ruwart in 2012 or another candidate outside the gop!!

The gop should thank Harry Browne for me being a registered republican! If it wasn't for Harry Browne i would of never gave Ron paul the time of day in the gop or registered Republican! The gop had a miracle happen right in front of them and yet they are still clueless! what is that miracle? the fact i am a registered republican! Don't f with miracles gop!!