PDA

View Full Version : Just FYI - My Community Based Redistricting Plan is ruffling feathers

GunnyFreedom
12-24-2010, 03:43 PM
A panicked contact from the NCGOP Caucus to find out if I really published the Redistricting idea. "Oh." when it turned out to really be me. Lawyers in a panic. ROFL! :D

Reality is it will take at minimum 4years to implement at best. It will probably not be ready until 2020 to be honest, but it's off the party line apparently, and now they know not to count on me to toe the party line (and we're not even seated or sworn in yet LOL!)

TCE
12-24-2010, 04:43 PM
Good thing to get to the moderates in your district that you are putting your constituents first and your party second. In NC, if you win the Independents, you win the election.

Matt Collins
12-24-2010, 05:06 PM
They already recruiting your replacement for the next primary, guaranteed.

jacque
12-24-2010, 05:07 PM
A panicked contact from the NCGOP Caucus to find out if I really published the Redistricting idea. "Oh." when it turned out to really be me. Lawyers in a panic. ROFL! :D

Reality is it will take at minimum 4years to implement at best. It will probably not be ready until 2020 to be honest, but it's off the party line apparently, and now they know not to count on me to toe the party line (and we're not even seated or sworn in yet LOL!)

Makes for a nice Christmas present!

KCIndy
12-24-2010, 07:08 PM
...and now they know not to count on me to toe the party line (and we're not even seated or sworn in yet LOL!)

Be VERY careful and watch your back. Seriously.

Matt Collins
12-24-2010, 07:15 PM
null

Thomas
12-24-2010, 07:35 PM
do you have any allies, Gunny?

amy31416
12-24-2010, 07:37 PM
*tow

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toe_the_line

http://grammartips.homestead.com/toetheline.html

You're welcome....

GunnyFreedom
12-24-2010, 09:02 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toe_the_line

http://grammartips.homestead.com/toetheline.html

You're welcome....

LOL Thank you -- I love getting corrected on the stuff that I know is right already. :D

GunnyFreedom
12-24-2010, 09:06 PM
Be VERY careful and watch your back. Seriously.

I know, right? There has already been a couple nibbles at the edge -- one guy asks me to ask him a question via e-mail which taken out of context could have made me look really bad, so I agreed, and then asked him the same question via e-mail, in a way that made me look good instead. :D

do you have any allies, Gunny?

I do not know on this bill yet. I will be pushing it immediately after my swearing in on January 10th, and at the GOP Convention cycles.

GunnyFreedom
12-24-2010, 09:08 PM
They already recruiting your replacement for the next primary, guaranteed.

That's OK, maybe my donations will look a little better for the 2012 race, now that nobody can say "that race is unwinnable" anymore...

TCE
12-24-2010, 09:22 PM
At the risk of stating the obvious, also make sure to pick your battles. Ron learned this in the Congress after a while. If you push through everything, nobody pays attention, but if you champion one or two bills, there is a much greater chance of success.

Working Poor
12-24-2010, 09:23 PM
gunny

you can borrow my angels anytime.

GunnyFreedom
12-24-2010, 09:33 PM
At the risk of stating the obvious, also make sure to pick your battles. Ron learned this in the Congress after a while. If you push through everything, nobody pays attention, but if you champion one or two bills, there is a much greater chance of success.

Well, I'm gonna PUSH the whole agenda. I'm only gonna pick 2 actual bills to probably make it through the House. I don't have to write the Redistricting Act that actually passes in order to have an affect on the redistricting debate, either. Once it looked like I was going to get shut out of redistricting, I went ahead and introduced the redistricting plan in embryonic form.

GunnyFreedom
12-24-2010, 09:34 PM
gunny

you can borrow my angels anytime.

Thank you. :)

TCE
12-24-2010, 10:03 PM
Well, I'm gonna PUSH the whole agenda. I'm only gonna pick 2 actual bills to probably make it through the House. I don't have to write the Redistricting Act that actually passes in order to have an affect on the redistricting debate, either. Once it looked like I was going to get shut out of redistricting, I went ahead and introduced the redistricting plan in embryonic form.

Good deal. Looking through your proposed bills, any that make it through the House and become law would be complete game changers as far as restoring liberty goes.

Yieu
12-24-2010, 11:17 PM
Good deal. Looking through your proposed bills, any that make it through the House and become law would be complete game changers as far as restoring liberty goes.

That's the best part. Even if one or two is passed, a lot of liberty is gained. :cool:

Of all the plans, that one looked the most benign to me (though I am not an expert on redistricting), but then perhaps the party just wanted to be in control instead of the people. Ruffling feathers is fun I'm sure, because it is a sign of "progress" when you're from our crowd.

MozoVote
12-25-2010, 12:18 PM
Sadly, Glen is encountering what lost of starry eyed freshman have learned over the years in the NC General Assembly. The senior members who have "paid their dues" get the best committee assignments and write the bills. Newcomers may get some amendments through, or co-sign bills already introduced.

If Glen gets ANY bill through the Assembly, it will be a victory.

Yieu
12-25-2010, 12:22 PM
Sadly, Glen is encountering what lost of starry eyed freshman have learned over the years in the NC General Assembly. The senior members who have "paid their dues" get the best committee assignments and write the bills. Newcomers may get some amendments through, or co-sign bills already introduced.

If Glen gets ANY bill through the Assembly, it will be a victory.

Well, I hope he can at least get them introduced, if not passed. I would consider that a step forward, however minor it may appear.

libertybrewcity
12-27-2010, 04:39 PM
Is this a good thing though? If they dislike you, are they even going to consider your legislation? As much as it hurts, isn't it best to play along as much as possible without sacrificing your principles of course to get what you want(or what you think is best for your constituents and the state)?

GunnyFreedom
12-27-2010, 04:47 PM
Is this a good thing though? If they dislike you, are they even going to consider your legislation? As much as it hurts, isn't it best to play along as much as possible without sacrificing your principles of course to get what you want(or what you think is best for your constituents and the state)?

On the other hand, if I try to be as noncontroversial as possible and just hide in a corner voting 'no' on most bills, I'll get even LESS done. It's a balance that needs to be struck.

TCE
12-27-2010, 07:45 PM
On the other hand, if I try to be as noncontroversial as possible and just hide in a corner voting 'no' on most bills, I'll get even LESS done. It's a balance that needs to be struck.

+1776.

The Republicans need to know that Gunny will support them in most of their endeavors, however, when it comes to liberty being attacked or his constituents getting the raw end of the stick, Gunny will vote against them. Lucy T. Allen voted with the Democrats 98.9% of the time, John May did about as much, Gunny will vote in his constituents best interest 100% of the time and not be beholden to a political party or corporate interest.

aclove
12-30-2010, 09:30 AM
If Gunny starts getting pushback from Tillis, Stam, and Berger on liberty legislation, that's when it's time for the NC Liberty and Tea Party movements to step in and bring pressure to them to see the light. Simply playing the "get along" game to avoid their wrath will earn him a place on the back bench for years, even decades, until the guys at the top move on to federal office or some lobbyist job. That's not a win for liberty. At the very least we want a roll-call vote for Glen's bills so that we can force his fellow legislators to go on the record as either supporting or opposing liberty, and use it for fodder in 2012.

jacque
12-30-2010, 09:15 PM
Absolutely. Gunny was voted in for Liberty not to take up space!