PDA

View Full Version : A New Bubble! “Half-Ownership Of One Male Alpaca Sold For $750,000″

Agorism
12-24-2010, 12:47 AM
A New Bubble! “Half-Ownership Of One Male Alpaca Sold For $750,000″

http://alpacasofmontana.com/images/DSC_0149.JPG

http://polipundit.com/?p=28775

The tax breaks have led to a boom in alpaca breeding. Twenty-five years ago, there were 150 alpacas in America. Now, there are 150,000.
One website even advertises: “Have Uncle Sam Help You Buy Your Alpacas.”
Rose Mogerman raises alpacas in New Jersey, the most densely populated state. “I fell in love with them,” she said.
But she fell in love with the tax break first.
“Yes. I have to be honest,” she said. “I might have had two. I wouldn’t have had 100. … I was looking for a tax shelter.”
The Alpaca Breeders Association asked its members, on a scale of 1 to 10, what motivated them to get into alpaca breeding. More than half rated “tax benefits” a 10.
Yes, alpacas are cute. They are also valued for the fiber made from their fleece. But selling the fleece doesn’t explain the growth in alpaca raising. At auctions, prices have gotten absurdly high. Half-ownership of one male alpaca sold for $750,000.
This is not necessarily a good thing. Economists at the University of California, Davis warn that the industry is in a speculative bubble. “Alpacas sold today as breeding stock have values wildly in excess of even the most optimistic scenarios based upon current fiber prices and production costs,” Tina L. Saitone and Richard J. Sexton write.

"(C)urrent prices are not supportable by economic fundamentals and, thus, are not sustainable," the UC Davis economists write. Their paper was originally published in the Review of Agricultural Economics in 2007 with the great title "Alpaca Lies? Speculative Bubbles in Agriculture."

In other words, people have overinvested, bid up input prices and produced too many animals given expected future demand for their fleece. As a result, I bet lots of people will lose money. Tax policy is surely a big reason for the overinvestment, and an unintended consequence will be bankruptcy for some alpaca breeders.

I'm using "bubble" in a nontechnical sense because, strictly speaking, a bubble is an unsustainable inflation of asset prices inconsistent with economic reality. However, even a wrongheaded tax preference is real and sustainable. So if the tax break is the reason for the alpaca boom, there's really no bubble.

The Alpaca Owners and Breeders Association says the UC Davis study is "seriously flawed (and) full of misinformation," but offered no evidence for that bald assertion. The authors stand by their study, saying that no conflicting studies have been published and that their research is confirmed by a recent price decline.

Government is good at inflating bubbles. The housing bubble was fueled by low interest rates, tax breaks and subsidies.

Last year, I reported how Congress' ridiculous tax credits stimulated demand for electric golf-carts. Electric vehicles are touted these days as "green" technology and so were given special tax treatment. Unfortunately, the plug-in carts are ultimately connected to coal-fired plants. The National Research Council says electric cars may be worse for the environment than gas-powered cars. That didn't matter to the policy-makers.

As a result of the tax benefit, golf-cart dealers had a field day. One advertised that his $6,000 carts were "free" because of the $6,000 tax credit. Gov. Mike Huckabee got one. His friend got seven. I got one, too.

The deal sure helped the golf-cart industry. My dealer sold 10,000 of them.

At least the golf-cart credit expired. Most government giveaways never go away.

Get ready for the bust of the alpaca bubble. Sadly, Congress will then probably bail out bankrupt alpaca farmers.

james1906
12-24-2010, 01:08 AM
With internet stocks and homes gone by the wayside as get rich quick schemes, I was wondering what was next.

Jordan
12-24-2010, 01:16 AM
I know someone who raises these things. From what I understand, the market isn't as good now as it was pre-financial crisis, but they still sell for a shit-ton of money.

BamaAla
12-24-2010, 02:52 AM
I know someone who raises these things. From what I understand, the market isn't as good now as it was pre-financial crisis, but they still sell for a shit-ton of money.

There was an emu fad that caught on around my neck of the woods several years back. The fellow who owned the farm next to ours set up about 150 acres with 10 foot fencing and opened an emu processing plant. They went pretty strong for about 5 years before the bottom fell out of the market; although, he kept his processing plant going for about another year. He was having a hard time giving the birds away in the final days and a number of them eventually starved to death. In the end, they were breaking our fences and terrorizing our livestock; it was a mess.

Vessol
12-24-2010, 02:54 AM
What's the net profit on a single alpaca over a year when you sell its fleece?

Churchill2004
12-24-2010, 03:00 AM
Exactly what tax benefits are these people getting? Is there some kind of alpaca tax credit or something? I just figured this was a stupid fad, I didn't know there was a speculative bubble on the damn things.

Agorism
12-24-2010, 01:46 PM
bump

Liberty_Mike
12-24-2010, 03:13 PM
This was on John Stossel's show from either earlier this week or last week. The fact there is a bubble within Alpaca's is just ridiculous if you ask me.

keh10
12-24-2010, 03:38 PM
Exactly what tax benefits are these people getting? Is there some kind of alpaca tax credit or something? I just figured this was a stupid fad, I didn't know there was a speculative bubble on the damn things.

Because when you start a small family farm then you are suddenly able to deduct the purchase of lots of everyday equipment. On the Stossell show, he explained that the owners were deducting lots of purchases on tractors and cars and whatever else you could associate as an expense for your farm. So yes, the alpaca fad is partly a consequence of the tax holes that exists for family farms.

Eric21ND
12-24-2010, 07:24 PM
Look at the horse racing/breeding market. They go for tens of millions sometimes.

I'd also like to know how much that average alpaca brings in for fleece.

MN Patriot
12-24-2010, 09:26 PM
Because when you start a small family farm then you are suddenly able to deduct the purchase of lots of everyday equipment. On the Stossell show, he explained that the owners were deducting lots of purchases on tractors and cars and whatever else you could associate as an expense for your farm. So yes, the alpaca fad is partly a consequence of the tax holes that exists for family farms.

Yes another reason to get rid of the stupid income tax entirely. Not only are workers tax slaves for the government, but the tax loopholes create mal-investment in all kinds of things. Just let people keep the money they earn, and they will spend it wisely. Heck, they just might buy alpacas and tractors.

Carson
12-24-2010, 11:01 PM
I suppose you would be traveling in style, being driven out of one homeless camp after another, with all your worldly positions strapped to the back of an alpaca.

MN Patriot
12-24-2010, 11:17 PM
I suppose you would be traveling in style, being driven out of one homeless camp after another, with all your worldly positions strapped to the back of an alpaca.
:D

libertybrewcity
12-25-2010, 02:22 AM
alpaca fur coats used to sell for tens of thousands of dollars. since the supply has increased so much I am sure it has gone down a little, but probably not that much.