PDA

View Full Version : Have NRA sticker on your vehicle? It was searched as part of routine stop

Pericles
12-23-2010, 03:16 PM
Read this case:

http://openjurist.org/310/f3d/353/estep-v-dallas-county-texas-f-jc

oyarde
12-23-2010, 09:47 PM
I purposely have nothing on my vehicle , no vet plate , no stickers etc .

oyarde
12-23-2010, 09:50 PM
I think if I was going to carry a weapon in the vehicle , I would just put a 12 ga in the passenger seat . It is legal and they cannot cry about it .

KCIndy
12-23-2010, 10:02 PM
The original traffic search in question happened in 1993.

It's still being kicked around in appeals today?? Damn! I guess the wheels of justice really do turn slowly.

angelatc
12-23-2010, 10:30 PM
Indeed, if the presence of an NRA sticker and camouflage gear in a vehicle could be used by an officer to conclude he was in danger, half the pickups in the state of Texas would be subject to a vehicle search.

I LOL'd.

muzzled dogg
12-23-2010, 10:49 PM
Neocon republican association

coastie
12-28-2010, 09:05 PM
II. THE FACTS

Viewing the competent summary judgment evidence in the light most favorable to Estep, the following occurred on March 29, 1993. Estep was traveling in a 1988 Ford pick-up truck on Highway 66 near Rowlett, Texas when he was pulled over by Officer Peace for going 47 mph in a 35 mph speed zone.2 After stopping his truck on the side of the road, Estep exited his vehicle with driver's license and proof of insurance in hand to give to Officer Peace. As Estep stood by his truck, Officer Peace approached and initiated the first words. Officer Peace asked "Do you have a gun in the car?" Estep hesitated a second and said "No. Why do you ask?" Estep then asked Officer Peace why he had been stopped. Officer Peace did not answer Estep's question, but asked again "Do you have a gun in this vehicle?" Estep said "No" but then told Officer Peace that he had mace on his key chain. Estep then took his keys from the ignition, showed Peace the mace, and asked Peace if he considered mace a weapon. Peace said no, but again told Estep that he better tell him if he had a gun in the vehicle. Estep then said he did not have a gun and asked again why he had been stopped.

This is where this guy fucked himself. He should have never said shit to this cop to begin with. Maybe one day people will learn...but I'm not holding my breath.

I do tell cops I have a gun in my car, but that's only because I'm bound by state law to do so while having a CCW. I dont agree with him lying about it, but if he'd just kept his mouth shut, he had no reason to lie.

Also, when reading the case, if the guy had simply had his windows rolled up and locked the door when he got out, it would have made the cops case of entering the vehicle that much more full of holes...(i.e., if the doors were locked, what was the "immediate danger"???)

Romulus
12-29-2010, 11:53 AM
http://flexyourrights.org/

Dr.3D
12-29-2010, 12:10 PM
While crossing the border into Canada, I had a NRA sticker on my back window. They had me pull off to the side and they searched the vehicle. Since then, I have removed the NRA sticker and crossed the border a few more times without any problem.

Those NRA stickers seem to get people into trouble with authorities.

Pericles
12-29-2010, 02:15 PM
Makes me wonder what they would do when confronted with a GOA or JPFO sticker.

Toureg89
12-29-2010, 08:06 PM
i have BCM stickers on my motorcycle helmet. does that count?