PDA

View Full Version : 20 Things that became obsolete this decade

tangent4ronpaul
12-22-2010, 08:49 PM
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/12/22/obsolete-things-decade_n_800240.html#s210848

1) VCRs And VHS Tapes
2) Travel Agents
3) The Separation Between Work Life And Personal Life
4) Forgetting
5) Bookstores
6) Watches
7) Phone Sex Via 1-900 Numbers
8) Maps
9) Calling
10) Classifieds In Newspapers
11) Dial-Up Internet
12) Encyclopedias
13) CDs
14) Landline Phones
15) Film (And Film Cameras)
16) Yellow Pages And Address Books
17) Catalogs
18) Fax Machines
19) Wires
20) Hand-Written Letters

Click through for explanations.

They forgot the most important 2:

21) Privacy
22) Freedom

Consider a high altitude EMP attack...

-t

oyarde
12-22-2010, 09:07 PM
I still use bookstores , maps , watch , cell phone / calling , disposable cameras & hand written cards .

sevin
12-22-2010, 09:12 PM
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/12/22/obsolete-things-decade_n_800240.html#s210848

1) VCRs And VHS Tapes
2) Travel Agents
3) The Separation Between Work Life And Personal Life
4) Forgetting
5) Bookstores
6) Watches
8) Maps
9) Calling
11) Dial-Up Internet
12) Encyclopedias
13) CDs
14) Landline Phones
17) Catalogs
18) Fax Machines
19) Wires
20) Hand-Written Letters

Click through for explanations.

They forgot the most important 2:

21) Privacy
22) Freedom

Consider a high altitude EMP attack...

-t

All these things are going to be on the VH1 special, "I love the 00's."

agitator
12-22-2010, 09:17 PM
I still use bookstores , maps , watch , cell phone / calling , disposable cameras & hand written cards .

You are obsolete.

oyarde
12-22-2010, 09:19 PM
You are obsolete.

Probably .

oyarde
12-22-2010, 09:21 PM
You are obsolete.

If we lose power , my phone will last a couple days , my maps and watch still work .

speciallyblend
12-22-2010, 09:26 PM

that is because your old school;) hehe:)

I find it easier to look for a book online and buy it. Then having to browse 1000's of useless books to find one book. Then i had this idea to ask someone working there and it proved i would nver buy a book at a store again! They actually pointed me to an aisle and said there! I was like um you haven't shown me where the book is you just pointed out the obvious an aisle!

I wanted a simple field guide! I finally thought to myself easier to find and order online then trying to find a needle in a haystack. The only help you get finding a book at a store is it is over there between those 1000's of books!!! Done with bookstores but after spending 30 minutes of looking i did find 10th version of country living!!

oyarde
12-22-2010, 09:28 PM

Yeah , I am definately " old school " : )

BarryDonegan
12-22-2010, 09:30 PM
Sure is a good thing that #13 was on that list. I am currently working on the alternative via a new company we just started. A couple of weeks ago I wrote this blog, too:

Why Musicians Should Abandon the Album-Based Promotional Cycle (http://www.gazzmic.com/albumcycle.aspx)

The whole concept was heavily inspired by Austrian Economics actually.

1000-points-of-fright
12-22-2010, 09:37 PM
Making mix tapes. Around 2000-01 people started easily and cheaply making their own CDs. So in one decade both cassettes AND CDs became obsolete.

tangent4ronpaul
12-22-2010, 09:37 PM

I find it easier to look for a book online and buy it. Then having to browse 1000's of useless books to find one book. Then i had this idea to ask someone working there and it proved i would nver buy a book at a store again! They actually pointed me to an aisle and said there! I was like um you haven't shown me where the book is you just pointed out the obvious an aisle!

I wanted a simple field guide! I finally thought to myself easier to find and order online then trying to find a needle in a haystack. The only help you get finding a book at a store is it is over there between those 1000's of books!!! Done with bookstores but after spending 30 minutes of looking i did find 10th version of country living!!

Serendipity can be a wonderful thing!

-t

emazur
12-22-2010, 09:39 PM
I'm not thrilled with the VCR replacements we have now - I refuse to use any service that requires a monthly FEE (like TIVO), and manual hard disk recorders (or better yet - hard disk plus DVD recorders) are nearly nonexistant, and when you can find one they'll only record in SD. Currently I'm using a DVD Recorder that only records in SD and I also have a PC USB recorder that does HD but I'm not entirely thrilled with that either (no hardware encoding in HD = skipped frames for me). If someone brought out a Blu-ray recorder with tuner to America I'd buy one.

and I still use these things:
1) VCRs And VHS Tapes
2) Travel Agents (when living outside the US)
5) Bookstores
6) Watches
8) Maps
9) Calling (hate texting unless it's occasional)
13) CDs
17) Catalogs
19) Wires

Golding
12-22-2010, 09:40 PM
1) VCRs And VHS Tapes
2) Travel Agents
11) Dial-Up Internet
12) Encyclopedias
14) Landline Phones
17) Catalogs

This month, I've hand-written two letters. My computer has three wires attached to it, one being the charger for my "wireless" iPhone. I used a fax machine just earlier today, and called my parents afterwards. I listen to CD's in my car more than I ever listen to mp3's. I always have a map in case the iPhone battery dies while driving. I wear a watch for the job, I go to Barnes & Noble for study books. I separate my work and my personal life always. I'm more forgetful now than I have ever been.

Otherwise, they're half-right.

emazur
12-22-2010, 09:43 PM
Making mix tapes. Around 2000-01 people started easily and cheaply making their own CDs. So in one decade both cassettes AND CDs became obsolete.

Since 2005 I've been making for myself "best music I've acquired/heard for the first time" mix CDs. Mostly I use them in the car cd player

Vessol
12-22-2010, 09:54 PM
Wires? Seriously? I freaking hate wireless anything. Such a bitch to get to work and batteries are a pain in the ass.

tangent4ronpaul
12-22-2010, 10:50 PM
Wires? Seriously? I freaking hate wireless anything. Such a bitch to get to work and batteries are a pain in the ass.

And so easy to intercept or use without permission.

-t

speciallyblend
12-22-2010, 11:00 PM
Since 2005 I've been making for myself "best music I've acquired/heard for the first time" mix CDs. Mostly I use them in the car cd player

i wish i had the money but i am telling you now. The new music platform will be the simple usb drive! They will eventually come with kewl designs and an artists new album and include video and also some promo music and some empty space to put your music on! they will sell these drives as collector items and to market new music!

I see this being the future music device to buy until they make a new music medium!!

Humanae Libertas
12-22-2010, 11:04 PM
Decent video games also ended.

Matt Collins
12-22-2010, 11:07 PM
#4 can also be amended with "remembering".

I don't remember anything these days, I just make a note of it on my phone or in my computer.

speciallyblend
12-22-2010, 11:07 PM

we just got a ps3(from my parents for birthday/christmas) and what games am i trying to get?? atari,activision,intellivision and midway! can only find in ps2 but o well! i just showed my age;)

RonPaulwillWin
12-22-2010, 11:26 PM
we still have battlefield 3 to look forward to on the PC :)

TNforPaul45
12-22-2010, 11:33 PM
The Constitution

speciallyblend
12-22-2010, 11:46 PM
The Constitution

touche;)

Philhelm
12-23-2010, 12:13 AM
Well, I'm surprised that nobody has mentioned that even more of the Constitution (you know, that filthy rag) has become obsolete.

Other than that, I don't see how calling (I hate texting!), CD's (Not quite yet), bookstores (Nobody reads the books, but they do look at the covers), and wires (Ah yes, like my wireless kitchen appliances) have become obsolete.

RideTheDirt
12-23-2010, 12:50 AM
Well, I'm surprised that nobody has mentioned that even more of the Constitution (you know, that filthy rag) has become obsolete.

Other than that, I don't see how calling (I hate texting!), CD's (Not quite yet), bookstores (Nobody reads the books, but they do look at the covers), and wires (Ah yes, like my wireless kitchen appliances) have become obsolete.
I also hate texting, CD's are NOT outdated, and I WISH wires would have been sooner so I could have stopped reading.

Matt Collins
12-23-2010, 01:27 AM
The Constitution
That happened in the 1860's :(

Promontorium
12-23-2010, 01:55 AM
Calling? Really? Apparantly these people have never had to go months or years without seeing family and loved ones. Calling has been enhanced to audio/video, it's heartwarming. Fuck texts.

And another thing, mark my words, the reliance on personal phones and primarily texting is a part of the downfall of families. Our loss of conceptual 'home', and this idea of everybody being a nomad, detached from all but this minimal textual connection to humanity. People have lost faith in their fellow men. Courtesy is obsolete. Caring is obsolete. This is the stuff that gave George Carlin a hard-on.

cindy25
12-23-2010, 03:17 AM
payphones
weekly news magazines
nightly broadcast news
savings accounts that pay interest

cindy25
12-23-2010, 03:22 AM
the 25 years before WWI were also of great change:
home telephones
electric lights
gas and oil heat beginning to replace coal
indoor plumbing
private cars
public high schools in most cities

libertybrewcity
12-23-2010, 03:24 AM
If we lose power , my phone will last a couple days , my maps and watch still work .

they can't lose power if you have a solar power phone charger.

http://www.google.com/#q=solar+power+phone+charger&hl=en&safe=off&prmd=ivns&source=univ&tbs=shop:1&tbo=u&ei=FhUTTY6TGoHGsAOEz5yRCw&sa=X&oi=product_result_group&ct=title&resnum=3&sqi=2&ved=0CEcQrQQwAg&fp=9bef8cda26d1a6ec

tangent4ronpaul
12-23-2010, 03:36 AM

http://www.google.com/#q=solar+power+phone+charger&hl=en&safe=off&prmd=ivns&source=univ&tbs=shop:1&tbo=u&ei=FhUTTY6TGoHGsAOEz5yRCw&sa=X&oi=product_result_group&ct=title&resnum=3&sqi=2&ved=0CEcQrQQwAg&fp=9bef8cda26d1a6ec

Might want to ask the telco's to put those on their cell towers. They ahve batteries, but they aren't ment to last that long.

-t

fisharmor
12-23-2010, 06:58 AM
My 4-year-old daughter voluntarily writes thank-you notes when she receives a gift, which we mail for her.
Of course, we're raising her to be obsolete in a lot of respects. Mainly in the fact that I'm actively trying to raise a future wife and mother.

JohnEngland
12-23-2010, 07:04 AM
Something that SHOULD have become obsolete: Taxpayer-funded media!!

Matt Collins
12-23-2010, 02:40 PM
Sure is a good thing that #13 was on that list. I am currently working on the alternative via a new company we just started. A couple of weeks ago I wrote this blog, too:

Why Musicians Should Abandon the Album-Based Promotional Cycle (http://www.gazzmic.com/albumcycle.aspx)

The whole concept was heavily inspired by Austrian Economics actually.
Yep pretty much.

You should share this with Creative Commons and some of the anti-RIAA groups out there, I think it has legs.

Vessol
12-23-2010, 02:45 PM

QFT. My roommate thinks I'm crazy for playing my SNES and NES more than my Xbox(which now had dust on it).

Also, CD's are great for extra storage. I keep lots of music on CD's and pop them in to listen to on my computer(used to in my car as well, but got a new car and no cd-playback on it).

fisharmor
12-23-2010, 03:15 PM
QFT. My roommate thinks I'm crazy for playing my SNES and NES more than my Xbox(which now had dust on it).

Last year for our company holiday party, I brought in my 2600.
For those of you who were kids in the 80's, and remember all the joystick games fondly, well, the paddle games we hated as kids are actually the party favorites.
I can't tell you how much fun I had with people who have repeatedly killed me in the past in COD4....
"What's going on, how does this work?"
"Dude, it goes left, it goes right, and YOU'RE A COMPUTER PROGRAMMER. Work it out!"
:D

moostraks
12-23-2010, 03:25 PM
Am I the only one here without a cellphone??? Many of these obsoletes seem to be directly oriented towards cell phone technology. The price of tracking is just not worth it to embrace this technology for me and mine.

If modern technology is ever destroyed we are sitting on a stack of maps, atlases, and encyclopedias. Digi info is great for fast finds but nothing beats the smell and feel of books both old and new. My love affair with bookstores is eternal.

oyarde
12-23-2010, 03:35 PM
That happened in the 1860's :(

And another big dose in 1913 .

oyarde
12-23-2010, 03:38 PM

If I shut it off it will probably last a week , good idea though . I looked at a solar generator a couple of weeks ago for my Mother. About two years ago I looked at a solar water heater for me .

nate895
12-23-2010, 03:57 PM
Yeah, I think they were grasping at straws to get a list of 20. Probably 11 or 12 of those are actually obsolete and relevant, but a lot of those were just made up stuff that are only obsolete for those that want them to be obsolete. I'm sorry, but the personal touch of a hand-written letter or actual voices over the telephone (land-line might be obsolete, or close to it, however) are never going to be obsolete. The only reason why I use text and chat is to setup times to actually talk.

libertybrewcity
12-23-2010, 05:55 PM
hotel bibles and malts

james1906
12-23-2010, 05:59 PM
Buying something without surcharges.

libertybrewcity
12-23-2010, 06:30 PM
Buying something without surcharges.

checking luggage on an airplane..i hate that.

pacelli
12-23-2010, 06:32 PM
Sugar is nearly obsolete. You really have to work hard to get anything with raw sugar in it.

SovereignMN
12-23-2010, 09:25 PM
Are there any offices that have stopped using landline telephones?

oyarde
12-23-2010, 09:33 PM

None that I have seen . All the customers I deal with are companies and all have landlines .

Vessol
12-23-2010, 09:53 PM
Non-GMO foods are obsolete.

Knightskye
12-23-2010, 10:20 PM

6) Watches
9) Calling
14) Landline Phones
18) Fax Machines
19) Wires
20) Hand-Written Letters

-t

Not quite.

angelatc
12-23-2010, 10:23 PM
Am I the only one here without a cellphone??? Many of these obsoletes seem to be directly oriented towards cell phone technology. The price of tracking is just not worth it to embrace this technology for me and mine.

If modern technology is ever destroyed we are sitting on a stack of maps, atlases, and encyclopedias. Digi info is great for fast finds but nothing beats the smell and feel of books both old and new. My love affair with bookstores is eternal.

No, I also am cell-phoneless. My husband and son both have them though.

I predict the laptop computer as well as the PC will be on that list in 10 years. The laptop will morph into a version of a smartphone, and the PC will merge with television.

Vessol
12-23-2010, 10:42 PM
No, I also am cell-phoneless. My husband and son both have them though.

I predict the laptop computer as well as the PC will be on that list in 10 years. The laptop will morph into a version of a smartphone, and the PC will merge with television.

No..never..NEVER!

People said that PC gaming was dead for the past 10 years..it's never been more alive. Especially with the indie gaming scene.

Artie Fufkin
12-24-2010, 12:07 AM
I'm not thrilled with the VCR replacements we have now - I refuse to use any service that requires a monthly FEE (like TIVO), and manual hard disk recorders (or better yet - hard disk plus DVD recorders) are nearly nonexistant, and when you can find one they'll only record in SD. Currently I'm using a DVD Recorder that only records in SD and I also have a PC USB recorder that does HD but I'm not entirely thrilled with that either (no hardware encoding in HD = skipped frames for me). If someone brought out a Blu-ray recorder with tuner to America I'd buy one.

I have this thing.

http://www.silicondust.com/products/hdhomerun/atsc/

Two tuners, records in HD, and its worked perfectly for a year so far.

Anti Federalist
12-24-2010, 12:11 AM
20 Things that became obsolete this decade

Me.

james1906
12-24-2010, 01:17 AM
checking luggage on an airplane..i hate that.

Not to mention...
fuel surcharges
energy surcharges
resort fees
subscriber fees
activation fees
cancellation fees
mandatory gratuities
equipment rental fees
tire disposal fees
oil change disposal fees
shop materials fees

james1906
12-24-2010, 01:18 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uqsz7YI_LCg

Dreamofunity
12-24-2010, 06:36 AM
And for good measure:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_LvMWVtOdIs&feature=related

angelatc
12-24-2010, 09:57 AM
No..never..NEVER!

People said that PC gaming was dead for the past 10 years..it's never been more alive. Especially with the indie gaming scene.

No, not PC gaming. The PC. I think that the television set will become the main portal for all things internet, especially as the relevance of network broadcasting fades. Who wants to watch "Braveheart" when you can play "Braveheart?"

"Survivor" from your sofa, anyone?

pacelli
12-24-2010, 10:46 AM
I'll see your 21st century digital boy, loving your computer, and raise you a Modern Man!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YCQrKu3CDDo

Pericles
12-24-2010, 11:39 AM
US Constitution

Austrian Econ Disciple
12-24-2010, 11:47 AM
US Constitution

It has been obsolete for a much, much longer time than a mere decade.

My one liner:

'Motor City'

Ha.

Son of Detroit
12-24-2010, 11:57 AM
'Motor City'

Ha.

:(

Icymudpuppy
12-24-2010, 12:28 PM

All offices I know of use faxes too. Digital signatures still aren't considered trusted, but a faxed signed document is often acceptable.