PDA

View Full Version : Governor Christie commutes Brian Aitken's sentence for legally owning guns!!!

Cowlesy
12-20-2010, 06:22 PM
http://www.nj.com/news/index.ssf/2010/12/gov_chris_christie_commutes_se.html

VICTORY FOR CIVIL LIBERTY and ACTIVISM!!!!!

http://pwwwblog.ibeatyou.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2009/11/mel-gibson-braveheart-photograph-c101019223.jpg

HOLLYWOOD
12-20-2010, 06:28 PM
In all completion of justice... He fired that judge by not reappointing him too. Double Win.

RM918
12-20-2010, 06:29 PM
Huzzah! The state does something right for once.

Cowlesy
12-20-2010, 06:31 PM
In all completion of justice... He fired that judge by not reappointing him too. Double Win.

We don't see it often but we need to savour it and broadcast the victory when we do.

KCIndy
12-20-2010, 06:32 PM
EXCELLENT!!

Although he really should have been granted a full pardon with restitution for his trial and incarceration.... but at least he's out of the pen.

specsaregood
12-20-2010, 06:40 PM
And this little part is for AF:

In 2009, Aitken was arrested for possessing two handguns and ammunition -- the guns were unloaded -- after state police found them in the trunk of his car. Aitken was visiting his mother in Burlington County when she became concerned about his well-being and called police.
The mother called police for help and this is what happened......he got sentenced to 7 years in jail for committing no crime.

1000-points-of-fright
12-20-2010, 06:43 PM
EXCELLENT!!

Although he really should have been granted a full pardon with restitution for his trial and incarceration.... but at least he's out of the pen.

No shit. Without a pardon he's still got a firearms conviction on his record.

Cowlesy
12-20-2010, 07:42 PM
Bump

cubical
12-20-2010, 07:50 PM
I don't know too much about Christie, but from what I have heard he seems like a great leader.

amy31416
12-20-2010, 07:57 PM
Well I'll be damned.

Not sold on Christie, but I'll give him props when he earns it.

Travlyr
12-20-2010, 08:10 PM
Excellent!

angelatc
12-20-2010, 08:45 PM
Well I'll be damned.

I think he should be Secretary of State.

cindy25
12-20-2010, 09:21 PM
why did it take so long; seemed like a no brainer; takes 5 min.

mtj458
12-20-2010, 09:38 PM
This guy is also Jeffrey Miron's web designer, who is one of the most prominent libertarian economists around right now. http://jeffreymiron.com/2010/12/help-free-my-web-designer/

Liberty_Mike
12-20-2010, 09:56 PM

Bump to that! Who woulda thunk it??

specsaregood
12-20-2010, 09:56 PM
why did it take so long; seemed like a no brainer; takes 5 min.

Christie is not a freedom guy; he is very much a law and order guy.

Liberty_Mike
12-20-2010, 09:58 PM
By the way, should we thank Christie for this?? Any ideas? Can we send faxes/emails to his office?

axiomata
12-20-2010, 10:02 PM
By the way, should we thank Christie for this?? Any ideas? Can we send faxes/emails to his office?

How about flowers? Like the olden-days!

wormyguy
12-20-2010, 10:30 PM
No shit. Without a pardon he's still got a firearms conviction on his record.

No - actually, it's been legally established that accepting a pardon = an admission of guilt, which means the conviction would be permanently on his record. With a commuted sentence, he can still fight the conviction in court.

Chester Copperpot
12-20-2010, 10:33 PM
Well I'll be damned.

same here.. im with you on that

Reason
12-21-2010, 03:11 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KJ6VPVrjcdE

fisharmor
12-21-2010, 06:42 AM
No - actually, it's been legally established that accepting a pardon = an admission of guilt, which means the conviction would be permanently on his record. With a commuted sentence, he can still fight the conviction in court.

Uh-huh. At what cost?
How much of his life savings and/or future earnings is he going to have to spend to get a felony conviction overturned?
Until he does, he's not legally able to own firearms in the United States - ANY OF THEM.
So regardless of the fact that he's out of prison, the state is capriciously suppressing his right to bear arms.
If that ain't infringing, I don't know what is.

I don't read anything they say anymore, but where is the NRA on this?

It's great that he's out of prison - I'm happy for him. Now it's the rest of us that I'm worried about.

Bruce
12-21-2010, 07:31 AM
I don't read anything they say anymore, but where is the NRA on this?

In a December 2nd interview on NRA News (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G8NytrWUC4g#t=12m58s) Evan Nappen, Brian's attorney, stated:

I'm also proud to say that [the] NRA has helped fund through the legal defense fund Brian Aitken. And [the] NRA has been there for Brain Aitken through this whole process and listeners need to know this. [The] NRA is standing behind Brian and helping him.

This was facilitated through the NRA's Civil Rights Defense Fund.

In the interview above Evan with regards to the NRA also stated:

I'm proud to say aswell that the National Rifle Association is supporting us in all our legal efforts and they've been standing by Brian. And not only the NRA but also the state affiliate to the NRA, the Association of New Jersey Rifle and Pistol Clubs and Scott Bach particularly. He's the president and board member of the NRA. And the NRA, I want [to thank] everyone that worked behind the scenes with Scott Bach and all, to also make this happen. And that's not out there publicly, but let me say, I appreciate all the help that NRA and the state association and Scott Bach gave Brian Aitken behind the scenes and I will vouch for that.

fisharmor
12-21-2010, 07:40 AM
This was facilitated through the NRA's Civil Rights Defense Fund.

Well, then, I'll be paying attention to see if they follow up with this and actually try to overturn the conviction, or if they consider their work done.

xd9fan
12-21-2010, 09:55 AM

bug time huzzah huzzah

fisharmor
12-21-2010, 10:31 AM

The man now has a felony record.
You and I apparently have very different definitions of "right".
The state chose not to do quite so much wrong.
It has not yet done right in this situation.

"Right" would be completely exonerating Aitken, compensating him generously for the time he lost, giving felony records, dismissals, and possibly a public whipping to the police officers and judge, misdemeanor records for the jury who blindly went along with this, and a stern warning to the family members who ratted him out.

Get real people. Not only did he not get to work, right after a move across country (which couldn't have been cheap), but he's not getting another job now that he's a felon. Sure, he's out of the rape dungeon. That doesn't make everything better.

RM918
12-21-2010, 11:16 AM
The man now has a felony record.
You and I apparently have very different definitions of "right".
The state chose not to do quite so much wrong.
It has not yet done right in this situation.

"Right" would be completely exonerating Aitken, compensating him generously for the time he lost, giving felony records, dismissals, and possibly a public whipping to the police officers and judge, misdemeanor records for the jury who blindly went along with this, and a stern warning to the family members who ratted him out.

Get real people. Not only did he not get to work, right after a move across country (which couldn't have been cheap), but he's not getting another job now that he's a felon. Sure, he's out of the rape dungeon. That doesn't make everything better.

Always need to rain on parades. I'll take whatever victories we can get.

Jordan
12-21-2010, 11:17 AM
I like this guy a little bit more every day.

specsaregood
12-21-2010, 11:32 AM
Always need to rain on parades. I'll take whatever victories we can get.

Until as fisharmor points out, the guy has a felony record, can't get a job and ends up getting some new guns illegally and committing a crime because he is out of all other options to provide for himself. Then it comes back to bite our little victory parade on the ass.

Anti Federalist
12-23-2010, 11:08 AM
Excellent news, although, with the proper caveats.

+ 1 for Christie.

Reason
12-23-2010, 09:12 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n34novXJu2w