PDA

View Full Version : S.510 Food Safety LIVES!

GunnyFreedom
12-19-2010, 09:04 PM
So says Jamie Dupree (http://blogs.ajc.com/jamie-dupree-washington-insider/2010/12/19/food-safety-bill-lives/).

I'm just glad I told bill drafting to go ahead with the NCFFPA when I saw it in the omnibus bill. -G

http://blogs.ajc.com/jamie-dupree-washington-insider/2010/12/19/food-safety-bill-lives/

A major food safety bill that had almost been given up for dead was suddenly revived in the Senate late on Sunday evening, and may be ready for House approval as early as Tuesday.

In a parliamentary move laid out on the Senate floor by Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid just after 7pm, the Senate took the food safety language ... (Read More (http://blogs.ajc.com/jamie-dupree-washington-insider/2010/12/19/food-safety-bill-lives/))

Brett85
12-19-2010, 09:09 PM
Disgusting. I thought this bill was dead for sure. This bill may actually be even worse than the healthcare bill, which is really saying something.

GunnyFreedom
12-19-2010, 09:14 PM
This is nothing less than a complete Federalization of our entire food chain, to include our Farmer's Markets. This will skyrocket food prices, and the poor will suffer most. Protect North Carolina by supporting the "North Carolina Farmer's Freedom Protection Act."

Isaac Bickerstaff
12-19-2010, 09:24 PM
They should call it the "Lame Goose" congress because anything you put in front of them will go through like shit through a goose.

ctiger2
12-19-2010, 09:27 PM
Maybe once farmers markets are regulated and shut down and you can't grow your own food the sheeple will finally wake up? Nah...

HOLLYWOOD
12-19-2010, 09:36 PM
http://curezone.com/blogs/fm.asp?i=1740162

[video/audio] Senator Tester's (D-MT) Amendment in #S-510 was a Good Attempt
Tester Amendment in #S-510 was a Good Attempt

QUOTED HERE

The same cast of characters now seeks such control under the guise of food “safety”. Make no mistake, the FDA and legislation like S 510 is about food control — not food safety. If it were about safety, we’d be seeing legislation that banned concentrated animal feeding operations, that banned indiscriminate use of antibiotics, that banned pesticides and BPA. We don’t, because the FDA is not about food safety any more; it is a federal agency wholly captured by Big Pharma, Big Food and Big Chemicals.
Date: 12/19/2010 12:21:06 AM ( 21 h ) ... viewed 21 times

10:22 pm
December 18, 2010

SENATOR JOHN TESTER NAILED IT
IN HIS WORDS HERE on #S-510
HOWEVER IT WAS WAY WATERED DOWN

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Awa0VmEmIoI
This to his words closely and get an education.

He deserves an award from the
Campaign to Educate Washington on Real Food Safety

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Awa0VmEmIoI

COMMENT ON THE YouTube:
Thanks, John, but what are we doing begging for our rights? I feel sorely disappointed in the whole system. We earn our livelihood at farmer's markets and we're having to find amendments just to save our skin! We're giving more power to an incompetent federal agency to destroy more family farms. Why? This smells a lot like the stuff I step in after the cows pass by....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Awa0VmEmIoIhttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Awa0VmEmIoI

angelatc
12-19-2010, 10:06 PM
THey passed it tonight - 73 - 25.

How absolutely sad.

amy31416
12-19-2010, 10:19 PM
I can't think of any actual people (non-politicians), dem or rep, who wanted this bill passed. Yet another example of them going against the Constitution and the will of the people.

Well, we are obligated to break immoral laws, in my opinion.

Who wants some black market herbs?

amy31416
12-19-2010, 10:45 PM
Wowwwww....I just posted this on a liberal forum (because I thought there were a significant number of them who were against this), and I got about 10 responses along the lines of "good! what do you have against safe food?"

This bill was hidden twice now...once in some veteran's benefits bill, and now a cash for clunkers bill. If it were a good bill, they would not need to hide it like this.

Lucille
12-19-2010, 11:14 PM
Nooooooooo!

But Coburn (http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/12/19/AR2010121904032.html), who tried several times to kill the legislation, promised to filibuster any measure that includes food safety, a maneuver that would cost Democrats precious floor time in the waning days of the lame-duck session. John Hart, a spokesman for Coburn, said Sunday night that he did not know why his boss relented.

GunnyFreedom
12-19-2010, 11:19 PM
Nooooooooo!

cha-ching go the Bush Tax Cuts?

Lucille
12-19-2010, 11:35 PM
Sunday's Senate move came as a surprise, especially because no Republican objected (http://www.foodsafetynews.com/2010/12/sunday-surprise-senate-passes-food-safety-bill/) to Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid's request for his colleagues to pass the food safety bill by unanimous consent.

Great. Just great.

Kylie
12-19-2010, 11:42 PM
Those fucking douchebags.

I will not comply.

amy31416
12-19-2010, 11:44 PM
Those fucking douchebags.

I will not comply.

+ rep

pcosmar
12-20-2010, 12:01 AM
Outlaw Farmers.

I think I am one.

:mad:

Glen Bradley
12-20-2010, 02:26 AM
Start a nationwide movement during the conventions to amend their several Republican Party Platforms to include in the Preamble:

"The Republican Party of North Carolina asserts that our primary and dominant goal is to affect the strict and equal enforcement of the United States and the North Carolina Constitutions into State and Federal Law, in accord with the vision of Republican Party Co-Founder Frederick Douglass."

Register Republican and attend your conventions! :D Fifty States by 2014 GOP Platform Preamble, you too can amend it.

tpreitzel
12-20-2010, 02:57 AM
Glen,

Although your new persona as a dignified legislator from NC is nice, don't forgo your alter ego, GunnyFreedom. ;)

GunnyFreedom
12-20-2010, 03:09 AM
Glen,

Although your new persona as a dignified legislator from NC is nice, don't forgo your alter ego, GunnyFreedom. ;)

LOL, I won't, that's just so I can blog and share my blogs on Facebook and Twitter. Thanks, man

GunnyFreedom
12-20-2010, 03:11 AM
Be it hereby resolved, that the Republican Party of Youngsville West #2 Precinct, will by delegation process reform our Republican Party organizations Party Platform to amend the Party Platform Preamble such:

"The Republican Party of Franklin County North Carolina hereby asserts that our primary and dominant goal is to affect the strict and equal enforcement of the United States and the North Carolina Constitutions into State and Federal Law, in accord with the founding vision of Republican Party Co-Founder Frederick Douglass."
"The Republican Party of the Second Congressional District of North Carolina hereby asserts that our primary and dominant goal is to affect the strict and equal enforcement of the United States and the North Carolina Constitutions into State and Federal Law, in accord with the founding vision of Republican Party Co-Founder Frederick Douglass."
"The Republican Party of the State of North Carolina hereby asserts that our primary and dominant goal is to affect the strict and equal enforcement of the United States and the North Carolina Constitutions into State and Federal Law, in accord with the founding vision of Republican Party Co-Founder Frederick Douglass."

We here by these presence voting "Aye" will work as a caucus to perform the platform amendments as set out above at our County, District, and State Republican Party Conventions.

romacox
12-20-2010, 08:13 AM
The food safety bill did pass the Senate votes, and now moves to the Congress. Note: Finance bills are suppose to originate in the Congress, not the Senate, so old Harry did this to start the ball rolling. So now it is important to call your Congressmen and tell them to kill this bill

http://www.usa.gov/Contact/Elected.shtml

Lucille
12-20-2010, 08:29 AM
“If people let government decide what foods they eat and what medicines they take, their bodies will soon be in as sorry a state as are the souls of those who live under tyranny.”
--Thomas Jefferson

"Control oil and you control the nations; control food and you control the people."
--Henry Kissinger

LittleLightShining
12-20-2010, 08:36 AM
This is nothing less than a complete Federalization of our entire food chain, to include our Farmer's Markets. This will skyrocket food prices, and the poor will suffer most. Protect North Carolina by supporting the "North Carolina Farmer's Freedom Protection Act."

Awesome, Gunny. We really need to talk. We formed a working group here after our (only nationwide) protest against S510 and have finalized the language we'll be presenting to legislators. So far, without even seeing it, we have support from 7 state reps and senators (Dem and GOP). I like that local resolution, too. Gonna snag and tweak that if it's ok to send to local party committees.

The Vermont Resolution for Food Sovereignty

WHEREAS All people are endowed by their Creator with certain inalienable rights, and among these are life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness; and

WHEREAS Food is human sustenance and is the fundamental prerequisite to life; and

WHEREAS The basis of human sustenance rests on the ability of all people to save seed, grow, process, consume and exchange food and farm products; and

WHEREAS We the People of Vermont, have an obligation to protect these rights as is the Common and Natural Law; and in recognition of the State’s proud agricultural heritage; and the necessity of agricultural, ecological and economic diversity and sustainability to a free and healthy Society;

THEREFORE, Be it resolved, that We The People, stand on our rights under the 10th Amendment to the US Constitution and reject such Federal decrees, statutes, regulations or corporate practices that threaten our basic human right to save seed, grow, process, consume and exchange food and farm products within the State of Vermont; and,

Be it further resolved, that We The People, shall resist any and all infringements upon these rights, from whatever sources that are contrary to the rights of the People of the State of Vermont.

Melissa
12-20-2010, 08:45 AM

Do You have a link or copy to the NC legislation you are talking about above. I want to do this in Indiana, we have a ton of farmers here and I know they will want Indiana to be free of the Fed

Lucille
12-20-2010, 08:55 AM
Flashback: Government to Regulate Your Whole Life. Again. (http://www.lewrockwell.com/blog/lewrw/archives/63290.html)

The intent of the bill is to federalize what little authority remains in the hands of individual states. But also, the politicos want to take what little power that remains in the hands of private producers and transfer it to the Big Food Manufacturer-Big Agra-Big Government complex so that the rent-seeking corporatist state can squash its community competition under the guise of “keeping you healthy and safe.” These politicos are kept in power thanks to the munificent coffers of the Big Food power players.

malkusm
12-20-2010, 08:56 AM
Wait, wait.

They attached this to something in the middle of the night in the Senate and passed it? :mad:

It still has to go to the House, correct?

LittleLightShining
12-20-2010, 09:13 AM
Wait, wait.

They attached this to something in the middle of the night in the Senate and passed it? :mad:

It still has to go to the House, correct?Yep. It's the Christmas of 1913 all over again.

Here's teh House schedule from Boehner's office: MONDAY, DECEMBER 20, 2010:

On Monday, the House will not be in session

TUESDAY, DECEMBER 21, 2010:

On Tuesday, the House will meet at 10:00 a.m. for legislative business, with votes occurring as early as 11:00 a.m.

***Further Action on Making Further Continuing Appropriations for Fiscal Year 2011 (Rep. Obey – Appropriations)

***Further Action on H.R. 5116 - America COMPETES Reauthorization Act of 2010 (Rep. Gordon - Science and Technology)

Additional information will be announced as it becomes available

* Conference Reports may be brought up at any time.

* Motions to go to Conference should they become available.

* Possible Motions to Instruct Conferees.

Adam Wolf

Floor Assistant

Republican Leader John A. Boehner

amy31416
12-20-2010, 09:32 AM
Wait, wait.

It still has to go to the House, correct?

My congresswoman will definitely vote for this--the only chance I have is if the vote isn't taken until after the new congressman takes office.

Anyone have a notion of when the vote will be held in the house?

LittleLightShining
12-20-2010, 09:40 AM
I just wanted to add in here, (and hi all, long time no see... :) ) that the Senate bill cannot have funding. Many Senators are using the excuse that the new regulations and standards would not be burdensome because they had made provision for assistance with compliance. If the assistance (funding) is not included then it stands to reason that the regulations would then be burdensome.

sailingaway
12-20-2010, 10:19 AM
The food safety bill did pass the Senate votes, and now moves to the Congress. Note: Finance bills are suppose to originate in the Congress, not the Senate, so old Harry did this to start the ball rolling. So now it is important to call your Congressmen and tell them to kill this bill

http://www.usa.gov/Contact/Elected.shtml

What does it take to 'blue slip' it or whatever in the House? Procedurally?

Marcus Carey is trying to marshall opposition as well: http://www.bluegrassbulletin.com/2010/12/republicans-cave-on-food-safety-bill.html#comments

JoshLowry
12-21-2010, 11:56 AM
//