PDA

View Full Version : Joe Biden: We'll Be Out Afghanistan By 2014, 'Come Hell Or High Water'

Agorism
12-19-2010, 10:27 AM
Joe Biden: We'll Be Out Afghanistan By 2014, 'Come Hell Or High Water'

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/12/19/joe-biden-afghanistan-wikileaks_n_798759.html

It will not be a token amount, but the degree to which we draw down -- if I can make an analogy to Iran, excuse me, to Iraq, which I've been put in charge of -- What happened there? We signed three years ago an agreement with the Iraqis saying that what we're going to do is two summers ago we're going to draw all combat troops out of the cities, populated areas. Then we said that our administration, we're going to draw 100,000 troops out the next summer, and we're going to be totally out.
In the meantime, we'll help to build a government. We'll transfer responsibility and we'll be gone. That's exactly what we did at the recent Lisbon conference, NATO conference, where we said we're starting this process like we did in Iraq.
We're starting it in July 2011, and we're going to be totally out of there, come hell or high water, by 2014.

When asked whether the United States is winning or losing in Afghanistan, Biden replied, "The one thing I've never been accused of is not being straight. We are making progress. Are we making sufficient progress fast enough? The answer remains to be seen."

On WikiLeaks, Biden sharply condemned Julian Assange, saying he was more like a "high-tech terrorist" than something akin to the leaking of the Pentagon Papers. Biden stopped short of calling him a criminal, saying it needs to be determined whether he conspired with a member of the U.S. military to obtain the information.

"This guy has done things that have damaged and put in jeopardy the lives and occupations of people in other parts of the world," said Biden. "He has made it more difficult for us to conduct business with our allies and our friends. For example, in my meetings -- you know, I meet with most of these world leaders, there is a desire now to meet with me alone rather than have staff in the room. It makes things more cumbersome. So, it has done damage."

Rep. John Conyers (R-Mich.), who chairs the Congressional Out of Afghanistan Caucus, and Rep. Buck McKeon (R-Calif.), who will be chairing the House Armed Services Committee in the new year, have both called on the White House to make Gen. David Petraeus available to testify before Congress.

"In the 112th Congress, I intend to place the Armed Services Committee on a war footing with a renewed focus on winning in Afghanistan," said McKeon in a statement. "As part of that effort, we intend to hear directly from General Petraeus early next year on the conditions on the ground, where progress is being made, what challenges exist, and where he believes we can begin transitioning security responsibilities from our troops to Afghanistan's security forces. We will also focus on whether our military forces have the tools, support and training they need to win in Afghanistan."

tangent4ronpaul
12-19-2010, 10:41 AM
"like we did in Iraq"...

Lets see, we left 50,000 troops, 14 permanent military bases - most conveniently positioned over major oil fields, and a ton of mercenaries - you know, because they aren't "troops"... semantics is everything. Then on the day the drawdown was announced, we moved in a 5,000 man air cav unit for permanent deployment.

Yeah, we'll be out of Afganistan in 2014 - especially after we discovered that major mineral / metal deposit. :rolleyes:

-t

invisible
12-19-2010, 11:05 AM
Ron Paul will be halfway through his first term as President, so of course we'll be out of there by then.

QueenB4Liberty
12-19-2010, 11:10 AM
Whatever, I don't think we're ever going to leave Afghanistan.

Agorism
12-19-2010, 11:14 AM
2010--->2014

four more years!, four more year!, four more years!

sailingaway
12-19-2010, 11:32 AM
High water.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e26FhQo_2JY

TheDriver
12-19-2010, 11:39 AM
Get your moveable goalposts for Christmas before the Obama administration buys them up, order now!
http://1.imimg.com/data/2/3/MY-155406/7basket-ball-pole-set_250x250.jpg

Unless someone from our team gets elected President - we're never leaving Afghanistan.