PDA

View Full Version : Could Korean War 2.0 be Ron Paul's ticket to the white house?

cindy25
12-19-2010, 05:05 AM
he would be the only anti-war candidate; perhaps the only anti-draft candidate

there is an unusual amount of Korean war activity on twitter, S. Korean TV has patriotic programming. one was a doc about the movie 71 into the fire, which is about 9th graders fighting in the last Korean war. (an excellent movie)

hazek
12-19-2010, 05:17 AM
No, it would hurt him.

If North K. attacked S. Korea and a bunch of U.S. soldiers died who do you think the general public would support initially? Just look at history right after 9/11 or right after Pearl Harbor, heck it's the same story for every fking war. People go nuts with emotions because some part got attacked or what ever and they support action. It's only after a while when those emotions settle down that they realize how pointless it was, how many had to die and how much it cost and are able to use these facts to form their opinion through reason and not emotions.

Noob
12-19-2010, 05:32 AM
I wonder how American's would react to a real Army invading America and not "terrorist attacks". I think a lot might end up running around like chickens with their heads cut off.

cindy25
12-19-2010, 05:39 AM
initially it might be popular; but by Feb 2012 the popularity could be gone. people cheered the Czar in Fall 1914, but it did not last. Korea was not a popular war even in 1950, which is why so few movies/tv series depict it. Obama proposes a draft, and his share of the youth vote/soccer moms drop to nothing.

One Last Battle!
12-19-2010, 06:00 AM
But a draft wouldn't be needed; North Korea is effectively inferior to South Korea except in terms of artillery and numbers. South Korea would probably win on its own.

YumYum
12-19-2010, 06:37 AM
But a draft wouldn't be needed; North Korea is effectively inferior to South Korea except in terms of artillery and numbers. South Korea would probably win on its own.

What if China gets involved? It has already made it clear it will back N. Korea.

One Last Battle!
12-19-2010, 06:41 AM
Didn't China basically denounce NK over this?

Anyway, they don't have many motivations to get involved. If they get involved, it will either go nuclear (in which case everyone loses) or China will lose.

cindy25
12-19-2010, 06:52 AM
liberals and neo-cons could use it as an excuse; WWI should not have required a draft; even WWII could have been fought without one, But Wilson and FDR wanted control.

UtahApocalypse
12-19-2010, 07:47 AM
Fact: War 1.0 would have to end to have War 2.0

BlackTerrel
12-19-2010, 12:48 PM
I doubt there will be a war to begin with. Rhetoric.

Slutter McGee
12-20-2010, 12:35 PM
I doubt there will be a war to begin with. Rhetoric.

I agree that it probably will not. But crazy dictator's son and future leader makes Iran look rational. I would think that war is a legitimate possibility.

Slutter McGee

Legend1104
12-20-2010, 02:07 PM
Didn't China basically denounce NK over this?

Anyway, they don't have many motivations to get involved. If they get involved, it will either go nuclear (in which case everyone loses) or China will lose.
China does not want a unified Korea because it could rival china. Just like in the first war, it would end up being us versus china.

Zippyjuan
12-20-2010, 03:31 PM
North Korea already backed down from its threats. They act all crazy about once a year or so. Just posturing and demanding attention (and if possible a bit more foreign aid if they "act properly").

FSP-Rebel
12-20-2010, 03:49 PM
They weren't likely to attack when they just got done hosting Richardson. They obviously want to resume talks, get some concessions, and allow the nuke inspectors in so it can once again be verified that their nuclear capabilities are real and thus legitimize them even further.

AxisMundi
12-20-2010, 03:55 PM
he would be the only anti-war candidate; perhaps the only anti-draft candidate

there is an unusual amount of Korean war activity on twitter, S. Korean TV has patriotic programming. one was a doc about the movie 71 into the fire, which is about 9th graders fighting in the last Korean war. (an excellent movie)

Firstly, NK likes to rattle their saber from time to time. It's really no better than a toddler throwing a temper tantrum, and about as dangerous.

Secondly, Afstan and Iraq are still too fresh in people's minds, IMHO. The only way I could see us going to war again, aka starting another one, is if the GOP were to regain control of all Three Houses, and manipulate the intell once again.

Even then, I'm not sure America could be fooled quite so soon.