PDA

View Full Version : Changing Education Paradigms

tangent4ronpaul
12-18-2010, 08:29 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zDZFcDGpL4U

-t

hazek
12-18-2010, 08:48 PM
Wow this just blew my mind! I highly recommend everyone watch it!

ClayTrainor
12-18-2010, 08:55 PM
I know this guy makes compelling points and interesting videos, but I have a hard time watching his videos and taking him seriously after seeing his anti-capitalism one.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qOP2V_np2c0

tangent4ronpaul
12-18-2010, 10:29 PM
You build coalitions by focusing on what you agree on. Too many here have a all or none mentality. If you get stuck in that rut, we will never get anywhere.

He does make some excellent points about our education system and what could be done to fix it. Anyone want t discuss that?

-t

ClayTrainor
12-18-2010, 10:32 PM
You build coalitions by focusing on what you agree on. Too many here have a all or none mentality. If you get stuck in that rut, we will never get anywhere.

He does make some excellent points about our education system and what could be done to fix it. Anyone want t discuss that?

-t

I hear ya, and good points. Sorry, I didn't watch the video, and I still dont think I can bring myself to. I bet it is good. Also, sorry for kinda hijacking ur thread. I wont post anymore.

I do work with people I have disagreements with all the time. Commies on the other hand... not so willing to work with or listen to commies, even when we agree. I have a similar rule for Nazi's.

tangent4ronpaul
12-18-2010, 10:48 PM
OK, fair enough. A few of his points:

We segregate students by age, not ability. first grade, second grade, etc. The obvious result is that the dumbest kid sets the pace of the class.

We force students to focus on booring stuff on a blackboard, when information overload is all arround them. When the above 2 points cause problems, we drug them into oblivion.

Some students work better in large groups, some in small groups, some alone. The educational system is one size fits all.

Collaboration and self directed learning are not encouraged. There is only one right answer and it's in the back of the textbook. etc.

-t

ClayTrainor
12-18-2010, 11:10 PM

We segregate students by age, not ability. first grade, second grade, etc. The obvious result is that the dumbest kid sets the pace of the class.

We force students to focus on booring stuff on a blackboard, when information overload is all arround them. When the above 2 points cause problems, we drug them into oblivion.

Some students work better in large groups, some in small groups, some alone. The educational system is one size fits all.

Collaboration and self directed learning are not encouraged. There is only one right answer and it's in the back of the textbook. etc.

-t

Those are all really good points, for sure! Just reading that, reminds me of my public education experience.

The point in bold strikes a nerve with me. Modern Technology has improved our ability to share information and learn to such a large degree. We now have the ability to access virtual every piece of information in human history that has ever existed, in a split second.... ....and yet our school systems are still piling dozens of kids in front of a chalk board, just like they did over a hundred years ago. There is virtually no innovation or progress in the public school system. It's astonishing, when you really think about it.

Sola_Fide
12-18-2010, 11:22 PM

-t

All of these things are problems because there is a restricted market in education. End government control and you will see innovation and specialization like never before.

The GOVERNMENT is what destroys education. Furthermore the State PREFERS its young slaves to be dumbed-down and primed for statism...innovation is not preferrable at all.