PDA

View Full Version : Do you consider yourself to be part of the Tea Party movement?

Fozz
12-18-2010, 07:16 PM
I support its main principles but it has some elements that I dislike, and even hate.

So I say maybe.

sailingaway
12-18-2010, 07:17 PM
Sort of. the tea party is what I say it is, when I apply it to myself.....

I support the original, December 2007 tea party............

axiomata
12-18-2010, 07:20 PM
Yes, assuming we are talking about the original, non-Teocon manifestation.

Fozz
12-18-2010, 07:21 PM
Sort of. the tea party is what I say it is, when I apply it to myself.....

I support the original, December 2007 tea party............

Rand Paul led the original tea party of 3 years ago when he spoke at a rally in Boston.

He is now emerging as the leader of the Tea Party in its current form, and proudly identifies with it. I'm counting on him to take back the Tea Party from impostors like Glenn Beck, Sarah Palin, and the teocons.

specsaregood
12-18-2010, 07:30 PM
Rand Paul led the original tea party of 3 years ago when he spoke at a rally in Boston.

He is now emerging as the leader of the Tea Party in its current form, and proudly identifies with it. I'm counting on him to take back the Tea Party from impostors like Glenn Beck, Sarah Palin, and the teocons.

Yeah, cuz both Beck and Palins support of Rand really hurt him in getting elected....

Fozz
12-18-2010, 07:35 PM
Yeah, cuz both Beck and Palins support of Rand really hurt him in getting elected....

They helped him, and I'm glad they did, but they don't need to be the leaders of the Tea Party. I want actual constitutional conservatives, not teocons, to lead the way. Rand does not need to act hostile, he just needs to co-opt them and focus on the spending, frame foreign policy in terms of its costs, and avoid tea party involvement in unrelated issues like stopping a mosque.

TheTyke
12-18-2010, 07:35 PM
Yes, because if we're not taking the helm, we're letting the Establishment guide the ship!

Thomas
12-18-2010, 07:40 PM
Next year, we take back the Tea Party. Who's with me?!

Kregisen
12-18-2010, 07:49 PM
I used to consider myself part of it. Now I try to stay pretty far away. It's insane how radial it's gotten.

It's sickening to see tea partiers wearing gadsden gear while treading on someone else's rights. The mosque is a perfect example. People were actually wearing shirts and hats that said "Don't Tread on Me" as they told a reporter they wanted the government to stop the mosque from being built.

A wolf in sheep's clothing can be 20 times more dangerous than any other wolf. I fear the tea party could possibly do much more harm than good if they claim to be small-government yet support BS like that.

It will turn people off to the idea of small government and the war between Red vs. Blue will continue.

Agorism
12-18-2010, 07:54 PM
I said yes because I think the Tea Party is a Ron Paul movement basically. The rest is just a bunch of people trying to hijack the movement.

Thomas
12-18-2010, 08:00 PM
An excellent review of the Tea Party: http://dailycaller.com/2010/12/16/the-tea-party-and-its-impending-dilemma/

Chester Copperpot
12-18-2010, 08:08 PM
of Course we're the tea party.. We're the original.. As the media points out there are 2 wings.. the ron paul wing and the sara palin wing..

and Im sure the palin people mean well.. but I think its our job to educate our well-meaning brethren on the issues... they'll come around

lynnf
12-18-2010, 08:14 PM
I said yes because I think the Tea Party is a Ron Paul movement basically. The rest is just a bunch of people trying to hijack the movement.

exactly

ClayTrainor
12-18-2010, 08:14 PM
No. I look at the "Tea Party" in the same way I look at the "Anti-War" rallies during the Bush admin. It's mostly just a bunch of people getting angry at those on the other side of the aisle, while refusing to accept responsibility for the destructive statist policies that they happen to support.

amy31416
12-18-2010, 08:40 PM
No worries, we'll get the tea party back in 2012 if another neocon is elected as the president, every one of those teocons will abandon it and we'll have a well-trodden, wrecked piece of garbage brand that's associated with racists, lunatics and hypocrites who worship ignorance.

QueenB4Liberty
12-18-2010, 08:43 PM
Yes, assuming we are talking about the original, non-Teocon manifestation.

This.

sailingaway
12-18-2010, 08:44 PM
They helped him, and I'm glad they did, but they don't need to be the leaders of the Tea Party. I want actual constitutional conservatives, not teocons, to lead the way. Rand does not need to act hostile, he just needs to co-opt them and focus on the spending, frame foreign policy in terms of its costs, and avoid tea party involvement in unrelated issues like stopping a mosque.

I think a coalition is the best we can hope for and possibly a good thing. Why can't we just say 'social cons, you and we agree a whole lot more than either of us agree with the neocons who don't live up to their bargains in any event. We do. Let's work together where we can and respectfully disagree where we can't'?

TheDriver
12-18-2010, 08:44 PM
Yes, but I'll admit: I'm a Paul supporter trying to hi-jack the Tea Party.

Imaginos
12-18-2010, 08:48 PM
qft.

payme_rick
12-18-2010, 09:45 PM
I understand the "yes, we're the original tea-party" replies, but we all know what was meant in the op...

I'd have to answer "yes and no" and explain when asked outside of a place such as this... "Yes" because I like the fact these guys are in the government's face and demand them to obey the constitution... AT FACE VALUE anyway... which perfectly leads into the "no"... and we all know why...

Humanae Libertas
12-18-2010, 09:53 PM
Nope. Never will support the "Tea-O-Con" party.

rprprs
12-18-2010, 10:02 PM
I dunno...kinda depends on who's asking the question.
If Keith Olbermann was asking, I'd say yes.
If Sean Hannity posed the same question, I'd say no.

;)

charrob
12-19-2010, 12:27 AM
I've supported RP since 2007 but today's teaparty are a bunch of neocons who hate all muslims, gays, and anyone who doesn't conform to their ideal of America. I watched a youtube of people protesting the original dedication of Bush's book because of his abuses against our civil liberties, torture, etc., and the tea party type republicans there for the dedication were screaming at the protesters to "read the constitution". The irony was shocking. So, no, I want nothing to do with those people.

Pauls' Revere
12-19-2010, 12:41 AM
For Ron Paul and the like..."yes". Otherwise I think it's the place the religous right (remember them) now calls home.

Inflation
12-19-2010, 01:05 AM
of Course we're the tea party.. We're the original.. As the media points out there are 2 wings.. the ron paul wing and the sara palin wing..

and Im sure the palin people mean well.. but I think its our job to educate our well-meaning brethren on the issues... they'll come around

^^^Spot on.^^^

It is encouraging to see newly evolved neo-libertarian radicals emerge from the primordial ooze of the GOP.

The fact they sport Gadsden gear shows us their hearts are in the right place. They just need to be taught more about economics and liberty. All of the haters ranting about how they'll never interact with the *icky* *gross* Palin wing(s) of the Tea Party Coalition(s) are marginalizing themselves and hurting our cause.

Imitation is the most sincere form of flattery. The (rest of the) Tea Party imitates our Gadsden gear, money bombs, insurgent tactics, and decentralized organization. Now what does that tell us?

libertarian4321
12-19-2010, 01:57 AM
I was a member of the ORIGINAL Tea Party movement, before it was overrun with neocon hacks. I have no association with these people now.

ViniVidiVici
12-19-2010, 03:24 AM
I was a member of the ORIGINAL Tea Party movement, before it was overrun with neocon hacks. I have no association with these people now.

Same here.

merrimac
12-19-2010, 03:34 AM
As time goes on I feel less and less like I belong to the Tea Party. If Sarah Palin is the leader of this movement then I am absolutely not a member of it. I think that they have it half-right when they oppose government involvement on economic matters but they are disturbingly silent on civil liberties as espoused in the Bill of Rights. We all knew on some level that we would rue the day Fox News embraced this movement and crowned Palin the Queen of it.

Sola_Fide
12-19-2010, 04:18 AM
Yes, I am a Tea Party member.

I was so blessed to live in Kentucky and volunteer for Rand.

Mach
12-19-2010, 07:54 AM
The best I can come up with is.... we'll see. I give the old benefit of the doubt to Rand and the other new members to see how serious they really are, at least give them a chance.

I have to say, I see Rand on TV being interviewed by some character stalking MSM'ers and he spins it around on them, with a big smile... and sometimes they smile back, kinda like a "touché" smile.

Sing along... just think of the New Year as you scream it out. ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qc03sestPbA

pcosmar
12-19-2010, 08:47 AM
Nope, I was(am) part of the Ron Paul Revolution.
The present "Tea Party" is a neo-con distraction.

I am the Resistance.

speciallyblend
12-19-2010, 11:41 AM
yes but only in colorado and as a tea party activist. I will do my best to remove republicans from office to help reform the gop not the dnc!!

I want nothing to do with the gop establishment tea bs!!

Aratus
12-19-2010, 11:51 AM
i'm here in FEBUARY of 2oo8 most happily and i have gone to Faneuil Hall sometimes during December...
i seperate out the TEAPOT PARTY and the TEA PARTY EXPRESS somewhat away from the TEA PARTY...
if the RON PAUL rEVOLUTIOn is the very philosophy and soul of the TEA PARTY, then i am TEA PARTY...

silentshout
12-19-2010, 11:59 AM
No, i don't consider myself as part of the tea party. Perhaps i would have at the beginning, but now, I don't want anything to do with teocons.

tnvoter
12-19-2010, 02:07 PM
In one form of it that defines what started the party, yes. In the form that the media portrays it and some of the people who don't know what they're talking about, no.

Agorism
12-19-2010, 02:24 PM
Rand Paul campaigned as being central to the Tea Party, and a certain mommy blogger spent the last 2 years trying to convince people that it was actually Rick Santelli's Tea Party, which was a lie.

I don't know why people try to distance ourselves from the movement.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FqX43ry5Bqk

TheTyke
12-21-2010, 04:02 AM
I'm a little distressed to see how many voted "no." If we're not in the tea party leading and educating, then we're letting the neocons do it unopposed just like they want to. They control the media. Spreading the message person to person is really our only weapon... NEVER has there been a concentration of people open to our ideas like the tea party. Rand understood that, and seized the opportunity. Had he thrown up his hands and said "They're co-opted!" - we wouldn't have a liberty senator.

Ron Paul has been stressing how important this is, too!

Ron Paul:
It’s certainly encouraging to see the establishment under attack from so many people tired of its out-of-control ways. The Tea Partiers are rightly concerned not only for their futures, but those of their children and grandchildren. They know the debt is soaring and that government is not going to be able to keep its promises.

It’s important that those of us who have been warning about big government for quite some time continue our efforts to educate, so these activists not only understand the current problems but fully grasp what led us to this point. The economic crisis is more than just Congress spending recklessly. It’s the result of an entire system that’s built on fiat currency and market manipulation. The Federal Reserve enables Congress’s actions.

Education is also critical to countering the influence of the neoconservatives, who will continue trying to dilute the message and co-opt the Tea Party activists. It’s necessary to consistently make the case that we can’t have limited government at home if we’re going to keep policing the world. I’ve long argued that freedom is an indivisible whole. You can’t pursue one piece while ignoring the rest. There’s something special happening in America. People are not only waking up to what’s happening, but they’re taking action and getting involved. The statists have had their chance and failed miserably. It is up to those of us who believe in freedom to reclaim our liberties and restore the Founders’ vision.

Source: http://www.quarterly-review.org/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderfiles/paul.pdf

speciallyblend
12-21-2010, 06:45 AM
I'm a little distressed to see how many voted "no." If we're not in the tea party leading and educating, then we're letting the neocons do it unopposed just like they want to. They control the media. Spreading the message person to person is really our only weapon... NEVER has there been a concentration of people open to our ideas like the tea party. Rand understood that, and seized the opportunity. Had he thrown up his hands and said "They're co-opted!" - we wouldn't have a liberty senator.

Ron Paul has been stressing how important this is, too!

Source: http://www.quarterly-review.org/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderfiles/paul.pdf

I voted yes but i am a clearly a No if it is the gop establishment tea!! I want no association with the brandname of the gop establishment!! If i even sniff a hint of a gop establishment candidate. It will be my goal to remove that gop candidate from office or make sure he doesn't win at all costs!!

As a republican it should be our goal to remove republicans not dems unless they register republican!!

Wesley123
12-21-2010, 07:03 AM
Well, I go to meetings at my local Tea Party group and help out with them, so that would qualify me as a Tea Partier. The main problem with the Tea Party isn't that the people don't believe in freedom, but that they will be co-opted in a major way by the Republican Party. While there may be a danger of this happening to the major groups, the smaller local independent Tea Party groups are safe I think, or safer.

I recommend to anybody here that it is a great idea to get involved with your local independent Tea Party. They are good people who just want the government off their backs. While I wouldn't call them libertarians, they do seem to be extremely anti-big government in many ways.

And it is a great opportunity to expose people to Ron Paul's principles. Plus, Tea Partiers love Rand Paul, so use that to your advantage.

TheTyke
12-21-2010, 07:03 AM
I voted yes but i am a clearly a No if it is the gop establishment tea!! I want no association with the brandname of the gop establishment!! If i even sniff a hint of a gop establishment candidate. It will be my goal to remove that gop candidate from office or make sure he doesn't win at all costs!!

As a republican it should be our goal to remove republicans not dems unless they register republican!!

Exactly so... our resources are best spent waging primary or convention battles because they're less expensive and have fewer people involved. We just need to remember that people are most easily lead by people who seem to be like them. :)

Edit: Agreed, Wesley. It's amazing how far they've come... I saw new tea partiers cheering when they heard Ron would be overseeing the Fed... and they didn't know who he was a year ago. It's very encouraging! :)

Chieppa1
12-21-2010, 07:21 AM
The Tea Party, if it every gathered in Washington, would be a major majority PRO-war, so no, in its current form its just pissed off "R" voters.

Like I've said a million times. Its all depends on who is voting for who in 2012. Actions still speak louder then words.

mport1
12-21-2010, 08:12 AM
To the original question, absolutely not. They are a bunch of war mongering, anti-immigration statists from what I can tell. I would not associate myself with that.

AuH20
12-21-2010, 09:51 AM
I love these threads where everyone is trying to outlibertarian each other. Freaking hilarious. It's a pretty simple line for me. If you're against the welfare state and it's various tentacles, I'll stand by you. The tea party as a whole is a move in the right direction.

xd9fan
12-21-2010, 09:51 AM
I'm the colonial revolutionary whom your hippie friend warned you about........(love mike church....and yes have the t shirt!)

Dreamofunity
12-21-2010, 12:01 PM
No.

ChaosControl
12-21-2010, 12:09 PM
No. They don't care about fiscal responsibility, they only care about lower taxes. Most of them still love war. And they support a candidate who supports big central government and the bank bailouts. They're a joke. They won't hold the GOP accountable, they just wanted Rs in instead of Ds, even though the same crap will happen.

silentshout
12-21-2010, 12:11 PM
I love these threads where everyone is trying to outlibertarian each other. Freaking hilarious. It's a pretty simple line for me. If you're against the welfare state and it's various tentacles, I'll stand by you. The tea party as a whole is a move in the right direction.

What about the warfare state? It's not just about welfare.

Wesley123
12-21-2010, 12:14 PM
No. They don't care about fiscal responsibility, they only care about lower taxes. Most of them still love war. And they support a candidate who supports big central government and the bank bailouts. They're a joke. They won't hold the GOP accountable, they just wanted Rs in instead of Ds, even though the same crap will happen.

I wager you've never even been to a meeting. You don't even know the people, so don't judge. They're not perfectly libertarian, but the Tea Party is a step in the right direction. It's a chance that we could use to catapult our ideas into a more mainstream audience.

ChaosControl
12-21-2010, 12:17 PM
I wager you've never even been to a meeting. You don't even know the people, so don't judge. They're not perfectly libertarian, but the Tea Party is a step in the right direction. It's a chance that we could use to catapult our ideas into a more mainstream audience.

I don't care if they are "libertarian". I only care if they support privacy and fiscal responsibility, which they don't. Their answer to spending is usually "cut entitlements". They're rarely willing to cut military. Sure some are, but not the majority of them. And they support Palin who is just another hack. And yes I was at a Tea party event before, and what was going on? A bunch of pointless sign holding and listening to talk radio.

Wesley123
12-21-2010, 12:29 PM
I don't care if they are "libertarian". I only care if they support privacy and fiscal responsibility, which they don't. Their answer to spending is usually "cut entitlements". They're rarely willing to cut military. Sure some are, but not the majority of them. And they support Palin who is just another hack. And yes I was at a Tea party event before, and what was going on? A bunch of pointless sign holding and listening to talk radio.

Well, realize that those people vote. If this movement can convince them to vote our way, it might actually have a chance to make a real impact in public policy. And no other group half the size of the Tea Party is going to look this way. So don't just dismiss them, democracy is power in numbers. They have the numbers and we do not.

To sacrifice real attainable goals in the name of libertarian purity is no way to get a man like Ron Paul elected. The majority of people aren't libertarian, so the only way to acquire liberty is to ally ourselves with auxiliaries that may have goals dissimilar to ours. That's the only way liberty has ever been won.

AuH20
12-21-2010, 02:07 PM
What about the warfare state? It's not just about welfare.

Shrink the coffers and the wars will evaporate. You have to realize that federal taxation is merely collateral for foreign credit. That's the beauty of the coming austerity. The cost of such operations are not maintainable.