PDA

View Full Version : DREAM Act Dead for Foreseeable Future

RonPaulFanInGA
12-18-2010, 10:42 AM
The DREAM act just failed to receive the needed 60 votes to invoke cloture by a vote of 55-41. Now it's gone for this Congress and definitely D.O.A. in the next Congress when it takes power on January 3rd.

http://www.breitbart.com/article.php?id=D9K6E50G1

Sponsors of what they call the Dream Act needed 60 Senate votes for it, but fell five short. The House passed the bill last week. It was a last-ditch effort to enact it before Republicans take control of the House from Democrats in January.

TheDriver
12-18-2010, 10:43 AM
The DREAM act just failed to receive the needed 60 votes to invoke cloture by a vote of 55-41. Now it's gone for this Congress and definitely D.O.A. in the next Congress.

Good! We shouldn't pass anything we can't pay for.

TheTyke
12-18-2010, 10:44 AM
Thank goodness. I dare say, we've been getting some good news the last few days... but remembering how TARP failed (and then passed a few days later,) I can't help but be apprehensive that somehow they'll find a way to push them through. Maybe we had at least that much effect in the election...

angelatc
12-18-2010, 10:49 AM
The DREAM act just failed to receive the needed 60 votes to invoke cloture by a vote of 55-41. Now it's gone for this Congress and definitely D.O.A. in the next Congress when it takes power on January 3rd.

http://www.breitbart.com/article.php?id=D9K6E50G1

Wow. And the GOP doesn't even have as much power now as they will have. I didn't expect these blockades to start working until after the new session, especially with so many bitter lame ducks.

malkusm
12-18-2010, 10:49 AM
Sweet!

Sarge
12-18-2010, 10:53 AM
Thank you. Thank you to the 41 who stood up for the US.

Thomas
12-18-2010, 11:10 AM
woot!

malkusm
12-18-2010, 11:13 AM
I wonder if Gary Johnson would have supported this bill....he's an "open borders" kind of guy.

Chester Copperpot
12-18-2010, 08:13 PM
Is it me or do the wheels of govt seem to have reversed and heading up towards liberty?

We beat the dream act... beat the omnibus bill, and that horrific food safety bill all within what 1 week?

Noob
12-18-2010, 08:20 PM
is food safety bill really dead yet?

Food-safety bill victim of omnibus defeat, incompetence

Reid could still move the revised bill to the floor on its own for debate, but time is now running short in the lame-duck session. Reid has spent today working on the DREAM Act, which is almost certain to go down to defeat, especially since Senator Ron Wyden (D-OR) had to leave Washington due to his prostate cancer. After that, Reid has to move on DADT, the next continuing resolution to keep the government in operation past Tuesday, and the START treaty. The days are growing short for a ground-up effort on new legislation. The food safety bill could be attached to a “minibus” spending bill, the way Reid attempted to pass it with the omnibus, but that risks a government shutdown on Wednesday, and would force Reid to concede a lot of floor time for debate that he’d rather use on DADT and START..

http://hotair.com/archives/2010/12/18/food-safety-bill-victim-of-omnibus-defeat-incompetence/

sailingaway
12-18-2010, 08:41 PM
is food safety bill really dead yet?

I heard Reid was going to try to attach it to the continuing resolution to continue funding until the new Congress comes in.